Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

My crafting stats are weird

Moonscythe
Moonscythe
✭✭✭✭✭
I made a new character because I wanted to play with the character creator. She's just a level 5. I set my crafter to making her a staff and some armor at a set station but saw that the damage on an inferno staff made by a level 16 crafter I've had since launch was lower than the same staff made by my new character. I looked at all my other characters and even the newest I made for Morrowind are lower than the brand new girl on the block. The same was true of a light jerkin. When I bank the low stat staff or jerkin and the new girl gets it then the stats go up.

Understand that I don't mind having a level 5 templar wielding a staff with damage approximately equal to the level 18 staff an alt templar wields but I want to know if this is something new and intended or something buggy that might go away unexpectedly. I don't play much anymore and am unconcerned with end game but I would like to know what is going on?
Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭

That is the result of battle scaling. A character that isn't level 50 and cp160 is scaled up to that point because the whole world is cp160. Since the amount of scaling shrinks as you gain levels, the scaling becomes less, so any gear that is lower level than the scaled character starts falling behind. You actually can't see the true stats on an item until you are on a level 50/cp160 character. I did a little playing around with a new character for a guild I am in just to demonstrate this.

The way a level 6 bow looks on my max level crafter:

VDOcCA.png

The way it looks on the level 6 character it was made for:

40HHWs.png

The way it looks on the same low level character after leveling up 10 levels:

UhDaex.png

It seems weird at first, but that is how battle scaling is supposed to work.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, thank you, that explains it very nicely. I appreciate your help.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar