Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Grinding CP (tank) is it possible?

Czarnyy
Czarnyy
✭✭
Hi guys
Can tank grind cp as fast as typical dps?
Now I'm playing tank and leveling takes me a lot of time and I have dilemma. Should I make magsorc to grind cp? (I want reach 720 cp as fast as possible)

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random dailies can give 100k for first run, 32k for subsiquent runs. Also that is about half the total experience you get from a dungeon run at the 100k level. Since tanks get in a group in seconds in the GF, it's a great way to rack up CPs quickly.

Swap out to a DPS set, no need to reallocate CPs, and grind some squishy undead somewhere.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess Skyreach runs in a group with a strong DD is still the fastest, but also most boring and repetitive, way to grind up. :) I personally prefer what Nestor listed, additionally crafting writs and Undaunted pledges give nice XP.

Also note that CPs have heavily diminishing returns now, i.e. the first half of your CP have a much stronger effect than the second half. The need to gind up to maximum is not as prominent anymore, you won't be twice as strong at max CP as at 50%.

Edited by Loc2262 on February 9, 2018 1:12PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I created a few different classes for grinding CP.

When I grind zombies I use my mag NB with Sap Essence. When I grind at skyreach I use my mag templar and just kill everything with jabs and use a destro ult.

I've never used a tank for grinding. I've seen a few tanks grinding and using talons while everyone else kills the trash but i don't think it would be the fastest way to grind alone.

Edited by vamp_emily on February 9, 2018 1:29PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible, but it's slow and even more boring than it's for a DPS specced build. I really don't understand why people struggle to grind on dolmens by trying to Pierce Armor everything to death. I would go mad trying to do that (again). I was kinda forced to do overland content specced as tank on my first character because there weren't that many skill points around - IC had just been released - so I couldn't spec medium armor and more offensive skill lines like 2W or 2H because I also had to heavily invest those into crafting. Nowadays if I want to grind a character, which I do usually during the double XP events - also they didn't exist back then and mobs were way under your level - I don DD gear (ex. Medium Armor, bow, daggers) and grind using those.

If you want a grind a skill or skill line you can simply dead-slot them (without equipping the said weapon) and fill the rest of your bar with relevant DPS skills. They will train pretty fast. For example if I want to train 1H+S skill line on a char I would simply equip a sword and shield once to gain it, swap back to daggers, slot Puncture, kill some mobs until I unlock Low Slash, then keep going until I hit 50 and unlock Shield Wall, keep skills on my bar and morph them as they hit rank IV+, then train the morph etc. When I trained my Stamina sorcerer's 1H+S skill I only kept Steel Tornado on the front bar in one slot, then filled the remainder with Pierce Armor, Heroic Slash, Absorb Magic, Invasion and the hard hitters like Hurricane & Endless Hail on back bar. For armor I simply equip 5 pieces of medium or light, then a piece from the other types. As I gain XP, those skill lines train as well. Usually when I hit level 50 I'm at 50 with the main armor line, and at about 38-43 with the others. That way I don't have to gimp myself at all.
    Edited by Asardes on February 9, 2018 1:32PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |