The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How long would it take to research 6 traits

Sawzallz
Sawzallz
✭✭✭
I have 3 traits and wanna know how long it would take to get to 6 traits because my first master writ needs night mothers glaze which I think is 6 traits

Best Answer

• eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    w/o passives:
    1st: 8h
    2nd: 16h
    3rd: 32h
    4th: 64h
    5th: 128h
    6th: 256h
    -> 504 hours or 21 days

w/ all passives:
    1st: 4h
    2nd: 8h
    3rd: 16h
    4th: 32h
    5th: 64h
    6th: 128h
    -> 252 hours or 10,5 days.
    Answer ✓
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    Damn
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is you only need the traits on items you would use at first. So one or two weapons and the 7 armor pieces plus maybe shield if you use it. So with the research passives it is just a month or so as you can do 3 items at once. There are also Crown items that can speed this up but won't be cheap
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additionally if you train traits on two (or more characters) at a time, your account will be self sufficient in traits inside of 2 weeks. Then it will just be a matter of crafting an item on one character to research on your main character.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • JungleBoot
    JungleBoot
    ✭✭✭
    it's not that simple. Yes, you can split things up amongst multiple characters. But, you'd be better served just staying on top of research on 1 character. The best thing you can do is prioritize the traits that you want -- for example, divines or even nirnhoned. You can wait until you are researching your 8th or 9th trait which will take about a month or you can do it in a few hours.

Overland sets make crafting sort of obsolete since many of the "bonuses" are duplicated. It's hard for a stamina character at the moment to pass up the Unfathomable set available via Clockwork City. You combine that with the staple sets of Hundings Rage and / or Night Mother's Gaze and you'll be doing decent DPS with sustain. There are other useful sets that only require 2 traits learned such as Night's Silence for Nightblades. But, Night's Silence can be replaced by the Darkstride set found in Rivenspire.

Getting a full blown crafter will take about a year or more. There are so many traits to learn. You need to ask yourself how much you love the game and if it's worth it. Also keep in mind, that nothing has any value until you are equipping CP 160 gear. That may seem harsh. But, it's true. Gear is out-leveled relatively quick until you hit level 50 and start earning Champion Points. That means all your "crafted" sets are worthless to you below CP levels. You will be in and out of them all the time. This is also true of overland sets. You will probably be close to out-leveling pieces obtained by the time you get 5 pieces together.

One more thing, you might want to hold off on crafting until your first character has reached CP 160 and earned a ton of skill points. Crafting toons require heavy skill point investment. Also, leveling crafting skill lines goes much much faster, I really can't stress this enough, much faster when deconstructing level CP 160 items. You can do blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing in a few days (does not include researching traits). Enchanting will take forever even with help.
    Platform: PS4
    CP 405
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It took me a year and a half to finish all my research, although I had a slow start when I didn't know what it was.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just playing casually about 6 months
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JungleBoot wrote: »
    it's not that simple. Yes, you can split things up amongst multiple characters. But, you'd be better served just staying on top of research on 1 character. The best thing you can do is prioritize the traits that you want -- for example, divines or even nirnhoned. You can wait until you are researching your 8th or 9th trait which will take about a month or you can do it in a few hours.

That's just nonsense, once you get the second character to 4 traits you're done with that one and can focus on your first character. As a matter of fact your first character will learn it's fifth trait from items crafted by your second character.
    Overland sets make crafting sort of obsolete ...

Transmutation makes learning traits far more rewarding.
    Getting a full blown crafter will take about a year or more. There are so many traits to learn. You need to ask yourself how much you love the game and if it's worth it.
    Researching all traits for a single item without scrolls will take between 70 days 45 minutes and 127 days 18 hours, depending on the number of points invested in the appropriate skill and if you have ESO Plus. There are 6 different woodworking item types that can be researched, and 14 different clothing and blacksmithing item types that can be researched. This means that it will take an absolute minimum of 140 days 1 hour and 30 minutes (about four and a half months) to research all woodworking traits, and a minimum of 326 days, 19 hours and 30 minutes (about eleven months) to research all clothing and blacksmithing traits without the use of scrolls.

If you're running ESO Plus you can get your crafter situated in 11 months on research items.
    Also keep in mind, that nothing has any value until you are equipping CP 160 gear. That may seem harsh. But, it's true. Gear is out-leveled relatively quick until you hit level 50 and start earning Champion Points. That means all your "crafted" sets are worthless to you below CP levels. You will be in and out of them all the time. This is also true of overland sets. You will probably be close to out-leveling pieces obtained by the time you get 5 pieces together.

This is complete nonsense. Sub CP-160 Crafted gear will perform just as good (if not better) as CP 160 gear. If you are within 10 levels of the equipment. This is due to the way the game boosts sub-max level characters. I generally recommend switching out gear at levels 16 ,26, 36, and 46. Those are the breakpoints for the material levels this means that you will be using less material per crafting.

One more thing, you might want to hold off on crafting until your first character has reached CP 160 and earned a ton of skill points. Crafting toons require heavy skill point investment. Also, leveling crafting skill lines goes much much faster, I really can't stress this enough, much faster when deconstructing level CP 160 items. You can do blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing in a few days (does not include researching traits). Enchanting will take forever even with help.

There is an inspiration cap so if you're skill level isn't high enough to craft CP 160 gear you won't get all of the inspiration from an item that you could, so you'll be "wasting" some of the inspiration if you only decon CP 160 gear. Decon gear according to your skill level to maximize your inspiration gain.

If you're serious about crafting look at an addon like Craftstore to help you to track the traits you have researched and help you to identify your cooldown. You can also use another addon called TinyDogs Crafting Calculator to help you identify the optimal number of items to decon in order to level your crafting skills.

With help, you can get your alchemy to max in about 20 minutes, you can get your provisioning also maxed in about 20 minutes, and you can get your enchanting maxed in around 2 hours.

Crafting is a labor, but it's nowhere near as impossible as some people make it out to be. Having all of your characters maxed in their crafting professions provides you with both hireling access and daily writs. Both are excellent resources for improvement materials, raw materials, and master writs. My best advice to the OP is to ask around in zone chat to join a crafting guild and you'll get some excellent advice and assistance.

Edited by Sordidfairytale on February 12, 2018 6:02PM
    The Vegemite Knight

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an inspiration cap so if you're skill level isn't high enough to craft CP 160 gear you won't get all of the inspiration from an item that you could, so you'll be "wasting" some of the inspiration if you only decon CP 160 gear. Decon gear according to your skill level to maximize your inspiration gain.

Yes there is but it's actually not that bad and reached relatively shortly. I have been planning to try to get raw numbers on which is actually quicker to answer a question on ESOReddit, craft-swap-decon or pure Cp150/160 decon, even with the penalties.

Crafted Item Max IP Decon

DBPENALTY.jpg

Have you run any similar numbers for the exact insp caps on loot decon vs craft-decon?

Edited by SpAEkus on February 12, 2018 7:48PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sawzallz wrote: »
    I have 3 traits and wanna know how long it would take to get to 6 traits because my first master writ needs night mothers glaze which I think is 6 traits

If you already know three traits, then it will take you 448 hours (18.6 days) to get to 6 traits (that's without passives). Now, you have to make sure that you have six traits on the specific gear piece you need to craft. So, if the writ calls for boots in Night Mother's Gaze, then you have to have 6 traits researched on boots. If it calls for a sword, then you need to have 6 traits researched on swords.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »

Have you run any similar numbers for the exact insp caps on loot decon vs craft-decon?

Yes you are correct the cap comes relatively quickly. And I could be mistaken, I have been in the past, but the last time I checked loot gear gave better inspiration than crafted gear. But I do not know if the Inspiration cap is the same. And of course the improvement level (Green, Blue, Purple) gives an increase in Inspiration. But I generally only decon green on alts, because I want my main crafter to pull those blues and purples.

TinyDogs crafting calculator is really handy for this.

The Vegemite Knight