Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

My Blacksmith can Forge a Massive Daedric Battleaxe, but not a Puny Ring

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Jewelry crafting. Why isn't it in the game yet?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish it were...

As to why? I'd wager balance issues or it'll need some new crafting mat(s) and/or stations. I, personally, would like to see it just added to blacksmithing... Maybe add three new gemstones for Robust, Arcane and Healthy traits.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    I wish it were...

As to why? I'd wager balance issues or it'll need some new crafting mat(s) and/or stations. I, personally, would like to see it just added to blacksmithing... Maybe add three new gemstones for Robust, Arcane and Healthy traits.

I have a sick feeling that ZOS knows how much players desire craftable/improvable jewelry, and as a result they will introduce it in the future and lock it behind one of those "chapter" updates that all players have to buy.

I remain hopeful that won't be the case. But I'm only hopeful on good days.
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    Most blacksmiths don’t have the small tools for fine engraving and shaping of small items made from soft metals.

Likewise, most jewellers cannot make large things out of hard high melting point metals etc and they don’t have the forging facility and heavy tools to shape it.

Its why in the real world companies like Sheffield Forgemasters don’t make jewellery and why the likes of Tiffany and Co or Cartier have never been renowned for working on anything larger than wristwatches or tiara.

• GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    b101uk wrote: »
    Most blacksmiths don’t have the small tools for fine engraving and shaping of small items made from soft metals.

Likewise, most jewellers cannot make large things out of hard high melting point metals etc and they don’t have the forging facility and heavy tools to shape it.

Its why in the real world companies like Sheffield Forgemasters don’t make jewellery and why the likes of Tiffany and Co or Cartier have never been renowned for working on anything larger than wristwatches or tiara.

Interesting, well-thought out response.
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    Adding jewellery crafting would allow people to wear 2x5 crafted sets. This would completely change the set balance, so that should never happen without a rebalancing of all crafted sets, which would ruin everyone's day because they'd yet again have to change their entire setup. And in the end it wouldn't give us anything extra at all, because the rebalancing - if done well - would be such that you'd end up with builds that would be just as good (or bad) as the current ones.

It really baffles me that people don't get this as it's so incredibly obvious. Did you think it was a coincidence that you can wear 9 crafted pieces at most? It has nothing to do with skills or tools or technical implementation or any real world parallels, it's a balancing decision so any argument for it that doesn't incorporate this consideration seems moot from the start.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The local chef/brewer at the inn can repair my gear. My totally maxed crafter who can make every set in the game in all but three motifs can't repair even a pair of light cloth pants.

Jewelry crafting would be fantastic. But I would like to be able to repair my own gear, too.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

The local chef/brewer at the inn can repair my gear. My totally maxed crafter who can make every set in the game in all but three motifs can't repair even a pair of light cloth pants.

Jewelry crafting would be fantastic. But I would like to be able to repair my own gear, too.

With the proper repair kits, you can. ;)
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the repair kits work.

However I made the gear in the first place; why do I need a special kit to repair it? The chef/brewer/merchant doesn't. :P Why not just stop at any appropriate crafting station and *repair* instead of refine/create/improve/decon/research? I have appropriate mats to use and all.....
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    b101uk wrote: »

The nice way of saying "Yer fat fingers are too clumsy!" :)
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would you really go to a blacksmith for a lovely, delicate engagement ring?

I'd seriously love to be able to improve drop sets and craft jewelry for existing craftable sets, but it would have a serious impact on the game.

As a result of jewelry improvement, people would stop running vet content for purple items, the gold sink that is the golden vendor would no longer sell any gold jewelry.

If they added jewelry to craftable sets, the hunt for drop set jewelry would be over, as any 5 pieces could be used alongside a crafted set which included jewelry.

Unless the ability to craft or improve jewelry came with a hefty price tag, like new 'hard to get' materials or skills, or materials only available for AP/TV/Crowns, I think the overall negative impact in the game will prevent it from ever being introduced.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because Orodruin isn't in the game yet.
  • AlissaRavyn
    AlissaRavyn
    Soul Shriven
    Adding jewellery crafting would allow people to wear 2x5 crafted sets. This would completely change the set balance, so that should never happen without a rebalancing of all crafted sets, which would ruin everyone's day because they'd yet again have to change their entire setup. And in the end it wouldn't give us anything extra at all, because the rebalancing - if done well - would be such that you'd end up with builds that would be just as good (or bad) as the current ones.

It really baffles me that people don't get this as it's so incredibly obvious. Did you think it was a coincidence that you can wear 9 crafted pieces at most? It has nothing to do with skills or tools or technical implementation or any real world parallels, it's a balancing decision so any argument for it that doesn't incorporate this consideration seems moot from the start.

You can wear two 5x sets already, as well as a monster helm set too..
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Orodruin isn't in the game yet.

All the dwarves vanished, and Celebrimbor misses Narvi's help.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you can't wear more than 9 pieces of crafted armor and weapons, which was his point. 7 armor pieces + 2 weapons. You can't stack the 5-piece bonuses of 2 crafted sets.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but many of them are crippled due to bad traits on jewelry items.

And we talk combinations here. New jewelry on crafted sets means more possible combinations - and it is very possible that some combinations will be way unbalanced - as result - new nerfs will be added to crafted sets and the regular builds that are using them will suffer.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

And we talk combinations here. New jewelry on crafted sets means more possible combinations - and it is very possible that some combinations will be way unbalanced - as result - new nerfs will be added to crafted sets and the regular builds that are using them will suffer.

Yeah, it would be a nightmare if I could craft jewelry and combine 5 pc Ashen Grip with 5 pc Vampire's Kiss - that build would get an immediate nerf ;)
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

Whilst its in theory possible... in reality I don't think it would be anything but a positive thing.

The reason is that there aren't many crafted sets that are widely used... the reason = they aren't very powerful, and many dropped sets are far superior.

I'm struggling to think of any OP combinations tbh. The decent sets like Julianos/Hundings certainly aren't OP, and are already combined in 2x5 piece combinations.

If anything a lot of the crafted sets need a buff.

Jewllery crafting would add a nice extra layer of customisation and flexibility, as well as adding extra materials, something else for crafters, and boost the economy a little. Can't see it as anything except a good thing.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)