Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Do you charge people for crafting?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Edited by Tasear on February 4, 2018 11:32AM

Do you charge people for crafting? 57 votes

Yes
10% 6 votes
No
22% 13 votes
Free only for guildmates and friends
52% 30 votes
Other
14% 8 votes
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even if it’s a friend, giving folks stuff for free always leads to trouble, having them work for it is basic self respect
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free for friends, guildmates and orcs.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I won't charge a lowbie for his/her first decent armor set.

Else, I ask for mats and surely i won#t deny some coins for the effort. Tho, i usually do fine with a "thank you" as well. :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I charge some for crafting, and they have to supply the mats, or most of them. I don't buy supplies for someone else, I am not your personal shopper.

Thing is, making a set can take up to 30 minutes if there are two set stations involved with travel. I can grind out 20K to 40K Gold through various activities in that time, not too mention experience etc. So, there is an opportunity cost for crafting for someone else even if they give me the mats.

Now, do I charge 20K to 40K? No. 3K to 5K? Sure, with higher amount charged if I am giving advice on what sets to use. Although most don't need that or are following some streamer meta. If I give it away for free, then people start to take advantage.

I also don't drop what I am doing to craft for someone else, they have to wait for me to finish what I am doing. Just yesterday someone asked for a set to be made and I was getting ready to log for the day. I told them they need to wait, probably until today, for me to get this made. I will be making that set in a few minutes.

Now, some new player, I will more than likely make the first set free, so they can understand the power that a set brings to the game play. If someone wants a research item, that is free.

Edited by Nestor on February 4, 2018 12:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never. I just ask materials, even if it happens I use my own (except legendary ones).
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    There is very little that annoys me more than being treated like a personal shopper.
    - If someone has all the mats, knows exactly what they want and are at the station ready to TP me there I won't charge. However I can count the times that has happened on the thumbs of 2 hands.
    - If they are clueless, haven't figured out what motif they want, have no mats etc, I will quote them a price that can afford me a buoyant armiger motif. Usually I don't get an answer after that.
    - If they know what they want and are just missing some green or blue tempers or they're a few rubedite short, I'll ask a reasonable fee - and I'm always happy in such cases to accept some mats of equal value as payment.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they provide mats there is no charge. If they do not provide mats I charge them the going eso price check rate.

Forgot to add. If it is low level training gear I do not charge at all either way.
    Edited by Defilted on February 5, 2018 3:07PM
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind the main exceptions are nirncrux and perfect roe. Those everyone has to give me. Rng gremlins are totally overpowered for my characters.

For guildies I'll make sets under cp160, every ten levels, improved to green/weapons to blue, for free if they ask me. I don't ask for mats. Once you hit cp160, I'll still make your gear for free, but you have to give me the mats. If you want stuff improved to purple or gold, give me the tempers.

Research items are always free and I don't ask for mats. [with nirnhoned the exception]

I'll make alchemy potions for free in reasonable amounts. You want more than 40, you give me the flowers. I'll make food/drink for free in reasonable amounts, even purple. I'll make ambrosia for free if they give me the perfect roe.

I will sometimes ask in a starter town like Davon's if there are any new/newish players, and offer to make them a set of gear. More than one of my guilds has all the crafting stations at the guildhouse, so making mixed sets isn't too much of a hassle. Last night I made a level 6 set of Morkuldin's and Hunding's for someone, and threw in glyphs and food. Heard OMG I DIDN'T DIE shortly after they received the gear. Not too bad of a result, and they might enjoy the game and stick around....
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only require mats or price for mats when guildies are involved. Otherwise a small labor fee is included with that.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will craft any non-160 gear for people for free and make it blue, so training gear for alts and people still trying to get to 160. I only craft 160 gear for free for my real-life friends who play the game.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except for nirnhoned things, if I'm standing at the forge, I will just make people research stuff for free. Even complete strangers. You reap what you sow, I always say.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, yes, of course, I charge crafting.
    I think it's only natural that a crafter would be rewarded for his time / investment / advices
    Prices should stay reasonable, while still being more than the mats's prices.
    With maybe some sets (9-traits) and some motifs (I'm looking at you, filthy buyoant !) being charged a bit more for the time/gold it took the crafter.

I consider that crafting should be a good way to make gold, in any MMO. And teso is doing quite well in that regard.
    Anyway, some people have their fun in selling gears .. that's as good a way of playing the game as anything else, and they should be able to.
    Edited by preevious on February 5, 2018 6:45PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't craft for anyone but friends and guildmates, but it's free when I do. Of course if they want gold level armor and weapons they have to supply the mats for those.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like to add something, just for some crafters to maybe think about:
    I once wanted to change sets and needed just one more piece of armor to complete it. Unfortunately it required all 9 traits analyzed ... and that would have been another 30 days of waiting in my specific case.
    So, I had the mats, i was at the station and I asked in chat as well as every person showing up at the station for help. Finally, after spending 2 hours and 37 minutes just sitting at the darn station and having people telling me: sry i can't do ... or asking 10 k (and more) gold for crafting one piece (not the set, just one piece, in divines not nirn) with all mats (plus a bonus on mats) provided, one soul finally helped me.

Of course i tipped her... but... well, point is: Not everyone asking for a crafter is trying to rush you or impatient. Sometimes its just that they probably wait already for hours fo someone to help.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to craft a decent gear myself (not yet a 9'trait crafter, need to farm more that damned nirncrux) and knowing how easy is to make a mistake if you don't pay enough attention what you're doing... even if I provided all the materials required..I'd at least tip a crafter for the effort (even if a crafter didn't require tip)

If it's a new player, new to the game, I would craft for free. New players struggle to get gold. I know that from autopsy.
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Free for people in my PvE guild and my friends, if they send me the materials. But I won't refuse if they send me money when I send them the items. I will only charge them if they want upgraded gear and/or gear crafted and they don't provide the materials.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |