The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Overwhelming Surge set: viability and builds?

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been very tempted to try this one out, but not sure what other set bonuses would mesh well with it. Is it buffed by spell damage at all? Only elemental? How viable is it in PvP?
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note: what about Skoria? Spell damage or only elemental/fire?
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Proc sets do not get buffed by anything otherwise than damage done passives and cp stars and penetration stats, hence:

Elemental expert
    Master at Arms/Thaumaturge
    Spell Erosion
    Any set or passive that boosts spell penetration
    Minor and major slayer
    Minor and major berserk
    Warden and sorc damage done passives

So if you want to maximise it's usefulness,you'd have to build up around those and use a lot of class abilities in general to proc it a lot.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks that's really helpful.
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Proc sets do not get buffed by anything otherwise than damage done passives and cp stars and penetration stats, hence:

Elemental expert
    Master at Arms/Thaumaturge
    Spell Erosion
    Any set or passive that boosts spell penetration
    Minor and major slayer
    Minor and major berserk
    Warden and sorc damage done passives

So if you want to maximise it's usefulness,you'd have to build up around those and use a lot of class abilities in general to proc it a lot.

Necro bump sorry.
    Was thinking to pair this set with netch touch as a sorc, but I don't know if the 5th netch piece would buff the shock dmg of the overwhelming set
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    overwhelming has found some use in pvp. there are some magplar builds around with this setup. naturally it also would work with dks, magdens and magnbs, but for there are sets better for those classes in my opinion. overall its damage isnt bad and can be very useful to pressure someone even more.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viable in non-CP, not so viable in CP.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So just an update on my experiments with this set in BGs. I paired it with Wizard's Riposte and Skoria (dual wield and SnB) and have been REALLY enjoying it. I am consistently getting deathmatch MVP in non-premade setups. And I'm not even that good.

Tri-stat glyphs, food and potions (will switch to spell power pots when Summerset brings Psijic skill Acceleration, letting me free up entropy and reflective light and use stamina pool only for CC breaks). All impen armor/shield. Nirnhoned/infused (weapon dmg/magicka steal) swords for main bar and powered for back bar. Mostly magicka regen enchant and mundus.

Front: sweeps, charge, jesus beam, purifying, harness (or cleanse), empowering sweep
    Back: ritual, focus, reflective, entropy, HtD, shield ult

Pros:
    -Keeps pressure on single enemies whether you are attacking or not
    -Procs are plentiful, especially since most of your slotted skills are class skills anyway
    -30%+ damage resist with Riposte and Empowering Sweep
    -Heals are still great, boosted by plenty of HoTs
    -Running Cleanse and Ritual helps counter the bleed/defile meta
    -Never short on magicka, even with lack of staff, rarely short on stam
    -Some of the best burst damage I've ever experienced as a melee magplar

Cons:
    -Prone to being overwhelmed (hehe) with 3+ enemies
    -Severe lack of mobility (will change once we get Acceleration in June)
    -Relies on having stamina for CC break or you're f*cked

Here is the link: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=50887
    (still running Witchmother here, UESP won't let me edit)
    Edited by Datolite on April 20, 2018 12:18PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run this build and 12-13K stamina is not enough IMHO. If you're never short on magicka, then run tri-food.

I also would not put do much hope into Acceleration. You either getting a very short window for speed/sprint cost reduction or stuck with a channel for 9 seconds, which isn't all that great.
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running almost the exact same build, love it in no cp. You're right about the stam, if you run out... You're ***.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    typical magplar build and is promoted by several you-tubers: 5/1/1 setup with skoria, wizards riposte and overwhelming (naturally argonian master race). maybe you even can go willpower dual wield of you want. but in the end you have no stamina sustain if you dont have tri food or some stam regen glyph on the jewelry. its not a weak build, but surely not the best out there. actually looking at the sets, its a lazy playstyle to let half of your work being done by your sets. need damage, you got overwhelming. need more damage, good thing that overwhelming procs skoria too. and you got pretty solid defense by just slotting wizards riposte.
    sadly magplars get pushed into a stereotype again....
    Edited by Checkmath on April 20, 2018 3:56PM
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    typical magplar build and is promoted by several you-tubers: 5/1/1 setup with skoria, wizards riposte and overwhelming (naturally argonian master race). maybe you even can go willpower dual wield of you want. but in the end you have no stamina sustain if you dont have tri food or some stam regen glyph on the jewelry. its not a weak build, but surely not the best out there. actually looking at the sets, its a lazy playstyle to let half of your work being done by your sets. need damage, you got overwhelming. need more damage, good thing that overwhelming procs skoria too. and you got pretty solid defense by just slotting wizards riposte.

I'm open to suggestions
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a fun build to share you're welcome to. In the meantime, I'm not a pro like you, maybe not up to the latest youtube vids, and I was just experimenting and wanted to share. Soory it's too lazy for you lol. As if other classes haven't been using proc builds for years now...
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a fun build to share you're welcome to. In the meantime, I'm not a pro like you, maybe not up to the latest youtube vids, and I was just experimenting and wanted to share. Soory it's too lazy for you lol. As if other classes haven't been using proc builds for years now...

Overwhelming set works best with lightnight staff as you can proc concussion -> off balance more often while fighting 1vX. Also helps pulling NBs out of stealth thus ruining their run-aways or crit heals :)
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to run it with impreg and skoria. 5 heavy 2 light all sturdy.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sry i did not intend to offend any builds here or people with such builds. it just came into my mind, that actually this build is promoted by several youtubers out there and this is only my opinion about it.

i surely can make suggestions for builds, but i would rather do that in a chat and not in the open forum. if you want to hear more about some set suggestions, skills, tipps and tricks message me personally here on the forum and i would gladly help you out (everybody can write me with questions to magplars, if you want).
    normally i prefer pure stat builds instead of proc damage, so you dont have to rely on procs and every thing happening to your enemy is caused by you and not by the sets (i think this would promote skillful playing, a fair fighting environment and a better experience for yourself to know, you did that).
    Edited by Checkmath on April 22, 2018 12:59PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sry i did not intend to offend any builds here or people with such builds. it just came into my mind, that actually this build is promoted by several youtubers out there and this is only my opinion about it.

i surely can make suggestions for builds, but i would rather do that in a chat and not in the open forum. if you want to hear more about some set suggestions, skills, tipps and tricks message me personally here on the forum and i would gladly help you out (everybody can write me with questions to magplars, if you want).
    normally i prefer pure stat builds instead of proc damage, so you dont have to rely on procs and every thing happening to your enemy is caused by you and not by the sets (i think this would promote skillful playing, a fair fighting environment and a better experience for yourself to know, you did that).

I would normally agree with you, but magplar is super tedious to play (for me at least) without some kind of passive damage or buffs. I usually have to cast four spells before I even engage. So when you're getting pounded on by 3 enemies and trying to buff up and heal, it's nice to have a bit of pressure applied the other way. And the way this build is set up, the procs are so reliable that I may as well be casting them myself.

I PvP on other classes, and find myself relying way less on proc sets. That's just my observation. Might message you if I need any advice in the future though. And I probably will.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would normally agree with you, but magplar is super tedious to play (for me at least) without some kind of passive damage or buffs. I usually have to cast four spells before I even engage. So when you're getting pounded on by 3 enemies and trying to buff up and heal, it's nice to have a bit of pressure applied the other way. And the way this build is set up, the procs are so reliable that I may as well be casting them myself.

I PvP on other classes, and find myself relying way less on proc sets. That's just my observation. Might message you if I need any advice in the future though. And I probably will.

hehe sure, you can message me whenever you want.
    the above was just my opinion, since its kind of something a regular magplar isnt able to do: do damage while being defensive. and overwhelming deals decent damage (especially in no cp pvp) and can proc off of your breath of life, extended ritual and channeled focus. i just recently met a cp300 magplar in no cp pvp and he was that typical overwhelming, wizards riposte and skoria magplar as an argonian, dual wield and sword and shield. i defeated him without any procs, but damage wise he gave me a hard time and my damage was quite low. i know in a dual between magplars, when one dies, its a bad sign, since on even levels normally no one will die. still i kinda feeled, that he got carried by the sets, especially after i told him "gf", he said that it was his 3 day on magplar. and yes, his attacks and combos were pretty bad, but still he managed thanks to the sets to be a decent enemy.