Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New Costume in the Crown Store - Seriously? Can we get some male outfits please?

MercTheMage
MercTheMage
✭✭✭✭
Shrike's Nocturnal Frock
8265f9e0469525c8c64ad039850b7a7c.jpg
Do you like to keep to the shadows, yet long for a striking look of your own? This will give you something to crow about! Any admirer of the Prince of Night and Darkness will appreciate this eye-catching costume.

The Shrike's Nocturnal Frock costume is available for a limited time on all platforms from February 1 to February 5, and costs 2,000 crowns.

C'mon, it's pretty and all, but seriously, give us some men's clothes too. I'm so sick of running around in the same 2 outfits.
Noble suit and the wayrest doublet.
You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • Baracuta
    Baracuta
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike's Nocturnal Frock
    8265f9e0469525c8c64ad039850b7a7c.jpg
    Do you like to keep to the shadows, yet long for a striking look of your own? This will give you something to crow about! Any admirer of the Prince of Night and Darkness will appreciate this eye-catching costume.

The Shrike's Nocturnal Frock costume is available for a limited time on all platforms from February 1 to February 5, and costs 2,000 crowns.

C'mon, it's pretty and all, but seriously, give us some men's clothes too. I'm so sick of running around in the same 2 outfits.
    Noble suit and the wayrest doublet.

The crown store gets lots of men's clothes. Just happens to be that there isn't really specifically male costumes.

Although, the costume for February is waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Somebody at ZOS made a lot of bad decisions for February: The gold cost to the outfit system, all the limited time (And if this is any indication, expensive) items coming to the crown store...Makes me more than a little concerned, hm? One would think that a company would want to be a little more consumer friendly after EA's lootcrate fiasco.
    Outfit Slots are outrageously expensive. No, thank you.
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll repeat myself again, buuuut here I go:

Apparently, more people are prone to play dress-up game with their female characters, not only because there's more variety of costumes, but because they're getting more and more skimpy.

I'm not against skimpy costumes, I'm against the disparity between male and female clothes in this regard. ESO seems to be slowly approaching the asian mmo's route (in therms of costumes) where "sexy" clothes are being reserved specifically for females (as if all the playerbase consist of straight men and "sexy empowers me" women).

Want to dress your male character in more revealing clothes? you have to crossdress him or make him wear "male" outfits which have either ugly baggy pants or a long skirt. Or suck it up and be happy with having him showing his arms at most, or make him wear a tunic, or baggy pants made from re-recycled parts of other costumes.

Your character is female who wants lo dress feminine and look sexier? you have a growing list of options available.
    Edited by Stania on February 1, 2018 4:28PM
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The nocturnal robe has been wanted for a long time now since its appearance in TES5 and TES4 (possibly earlier too); Nocturnal was designed with the skimpy robe. The argonian and bosmer casual wear are skimpy because of Valenwood and Black Marsh climates. The male argonian casual wear costumes are also relatively skimpy. There are also several bare-chest male costumes.

Dunmer robes seem to be skimpy (in terms of the breast cutouts) probably because the dunmer are culturally promiscuous. To me it seems more like just a coincidence that all of the costumes that are appropriately skimpy are being released close to each other, not that female costumes are getting more and more skimpy whereas the male costumes are staying the same.

although yeah I do think the store can use more male costumes. Actually I think it would be a better method to release one female and one male version during one month, and then release another male/female set during another month.
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on February 1, 2018 5:23PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried this one on and saw one person wearing it. Gods it's ugly :( I was going to buy it, but after the preview.... the skirt hangs badly, the fabric looks like it's supposed to be silky but looks like pleather in game. The waistline just looks frumpy. The neckline (and I love the skimpy outfits!) looks like a bathrobe that's too small to close properly. 2000 crowns and it looks like a frumpy, badly fitting bathrobe. Who is designing these outfits without understanding what the game can render well?
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They make a fortune out of revealing women’s clothes for the roleplayers. More to come unfortunately. ESO is turning into anime ***
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be ashamed and show your hairy chest in that costume :kiss:
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This costume looks fine on a guy character. Just a very deep v-neck and a thigh slit.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male outfits typically involve more detail than female ones designed to reveal more than they show and probs sell just as well, ZoS aint got time to design new stuff, we pay for recolors/reskins/unskins in dis game!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Goddangit. Why not long nip covering white hair instead of stupid hood?
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the Malacath outfit!

:D

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    This is the same case as the Telvanni Master Wizard costume - both costumes are meant to be worn just by one gender but end up looking bad on everyone.
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »

Or Vivec's "armor" :smirk:
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:

"Inspirational quote"
  • playerkiller247
    playerkiller247
    ✭✭✭
    Stania wrote: »
    Rouven wrote: »

Or Vivec's "armor" :smirk:

Ohhh Vivecs outfit would be pretty cool
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give the man a football emote and call it a day ZOS

Eventually they'll realize there's money to be made by tailoring these costumes with different variations depending on your character's sex, but until then let your manly men enjoy the b00b window
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Give the man a football emote and call it a day ZOS

Eventually they'll realize there's money to be made by tailoring these costumes with different variations depending on your character's sex, but until then let your manly men enjoy the b00b window

That could be nice, as long as they don't do it like the golden saint, elven hero, and dark seducer costumes, where (no surprise) the difference lies in the male version covering a lot more than the female version.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    My characters:

"Inspirational quote"
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hint: If a male character is wearing the costume in the artwork that means it's a male costume. Yes you can put them on female characters too, just like you can put a dress on a male character, but that doesn't mean they're not intended for male characters.

Male costumes currently available: "Upriver" Striped Sash-Kilt, Arvel's Ashland Attire, Seyda Neen Jodhpur Ensemble, "Drifting Sand" Tunic and Sash, "Eternity" Tunic with Pants, "Ever Damp" Reed-Fibre Kilt, Grazelands Gentlemer Farmer, High Rock Pioneer Outfit, Jarl's Deluxe Moot Regalia, Marshlord Formal Bugshell Robes, Noble Suit, Nordic Knot Doublet and Breeches, Rumare Waterfront Casual Wear, Solitude Stevedore's Jerkin, Wedding Suit.

Female costumes currently available: "Buoyant Gentility" Ensemble, Shrike's Nocturnal Frock, "Holiday in Balmora" Outfit, Ancestral Homage Formal Gown, City Isle Tunic Dress, Corseted Riding Outfit, Egg-Sister Bias-Cut Casual Wear, Graht-Climbers Active Wear, Lizardly Four-Fabric Skirt Set, Noble Dress, Sand-Kissed Salwar Ensemble, Wedding Dress.

Unisex costumes currently available: Alliance Rider Outfit, Royal Court Jester, Telvanni Wizard-Lord Robe.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Isende
    Isende
    ✭✭
    Here's my problem with this whole thing -- the bloody gold trim on it. The rest of the trim can be color changed, but not the gold.

ZOS? Whatever you're tryin' to do, PLEASE give us the option to fully customize our colors. I know, I know, everyone always thinks gold's worth more, blah blah blah.

But some of us really do have characters that both prefer, and look better, in silver. Or whatever other color we wish to add in/change it to.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    ZyqmAK2.gif
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • kvlou79
    kvlou79
    ✭✭✭

Apparently, more people are prone to play dress-up game with their female characters, not only because there's more variety of costumes, but because they're getting more and more skimpy.

I'm not against skimpy costumes, I'm against the disparity between male and female clothes in this regard. ESO seems to be slowly approaching the asian mmo's route (in therms of costumes) where "sexy" clothes are being reserved specifically for females (as if all the playerbase consist of straight men and "sexy empowers me" women).

Want to dress your male character in more revealing clothes? you have to crossdress him or make him wear "male" outfits which have either ugly baggy pants or a long skirt. Or suck it up and be happy with having him showing his arms at most, or make him wear a tunic, or baggy pants made from re-recycled parts of other costumes.

Your character is female who wants lo dress feminine and look sexier? you have a growing list of options available.

Yeah! My orc wants to wear a banana hammock.. and that’s all!!!
  • Freyare
    Freyare
    ✭✭
    I just want nice and elegant dresses without boob cuts or anything. Are we ever going to get that? As an RP'er I like clothing to make sense but these days we are getting less and less of that, at least for female clothing.
  • OlafdieWaldfee
    OlafdieWaldfee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soooo much "yes, please!".
    More sexy male costumes! If the new outfit system would support hiding chest- and shoulder-pieces this would be a non-issue. But since it doesn't I need more variety than just the pirates and the skirt (I don't like the Dark Shaman-costume).
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically I think this costume looks better on males. It hangs like a shiny sack on my female characters.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, this is exactly my thoughts of the matter. Just written better.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    And why is it not male?
    Elder_Scrolls_Online_01.02.2018_20_12_38.png
    Rawr
  • OlafdieWaldfee
    OlafdieWaldfee
    ✭✭✭✭
    commdt wrote: »
    And why is it not male?
    Duuuude, your char looks like softice! :D

• LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why is it not male?

Looks like he stood too close to a fire and the outfit melted.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    The nocturnal robe has been wanted for a long time now since its appearance in TES5 and TES4 (possibly earlier too); Nocturnal was designed with the skimpy robe. The argonian and bosmer casual wear are skimpy because of Valenwood and Black Marsh climates. The male argonian casual wear costumes are also relatively skimpy. There are also several bare-chest male costumes.

Dunmer robes seem to be skimpy (in terms of the breast cutouts) probably because the dunmer are culturally promiscuous. To me it seems more like just a coincidence that all of the costumes that are appropriately skimpy are being released close to each other, not that female costumes are getting more and more skimpy whereas the male costumes are staying the same.

although yeah I do think the store can use more male costumes. Actually I think it would be a better method to release one female and one male version during one month, and then release another male/female set during another month.
    Something might be in lore, but lore doesn't exist out of nothing: people made it. People decided it was a good idea to make this costume and sell it to players.

I wish ZOS would ease off the straight male gaze/appeal for a bit and give us equal opportunity cheesecake & practical costumes. The newer Argonian costumes are a really good example of the appeal problem: the female ones have mini skirts and coloured fabric on the bust to draw the eye (sex), while the male costumes have knee-length a-line kilts and a diagonal strap to make the shoulders look wider and the waist narrower in comparison (power). (For the record, the gender of the designer is irrelevant - just who the designs are intended for.)

And it's not just that one low-cut costume is in the crown store, it's that Vvardenfell is filled with npcs in those Dunmer costumes. That CWC has the Shrikes, with their Lady Godiva aesthetic, and a city where the female guards wear boob plate; ebonshadow has boob plate too. The costumes are fine in and of themselves, the design elements are interesting & I like the texture contrasts, but they're part of the game's trend away from having some unisex options (like the pirate garb) and further toward sexy women/powerful men. I'm tired of it. :/
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gentlemer Farmer, the two Nord dockworker and dublet, Ashland Attire, Falkreath Thane, Jarl's Deluxe moot, majestic dune rider, merchant lord's, the three pirate ones, seyda need jodhpur, etc.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/costumes/

You can go and count the male or unisex ones if you want.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And why is it not male?

It looks so baggy and rumpled, and there's so much of it, or is that just your Orc?

PC EU
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why is it not male?

It actually looks better on you than it did on my female Breton and Khajiit!
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred