The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I'm forced to redownload entire ESO on steam everytime? (solved)

DeltaForce64x
DeltaForce64x
✭✭✭
Here is the very much annoying problem: I have eso files on my backup drive size is like 77gb, I do NOT want to redownload entire game on Steam again because that takes literally 3 days, I do not have ultra max fiber connection nor everyone lives in US/UK. When I put my files from my drive to steam eso directory, steam DELETES entire files I was put and then starts redownloading from %1, any way solve this annoying crap? I really want to play this game since I do like elder scrolls story/lore.

please, any idea to fix this? I really do not want to redownload entire game again, ESO size is like 150GB+ after all files downloaded on Steam and launcher all that endless patch finishes
Edited by DeltaForce64x on February 1, 2018 7:01AM
  • Deptacon
    Deptacon
    If your problem is Error 206....its not you. Everyone is having this issue. Its a ZOS problem right now. Wait for them to fix it.
  • Bldgrflx
    Bldgrflx
    Soul Shriven
    With Steam, you often have to start downloading the game, pause the download, then transfer your saved files to the game folder, then use Steam to repair or finish downloading. Might be worth checking the Steam forums as others have had the same problem.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Bldgrflx wrote: »
    With Steam, you often have to start downloading the game, pause the download, then transfer your saved files to the game folder, then use Steam to repair or finish downloading. Might be worth checking the Steam forums as others have had the same problem.

No, ZOS did not responded any thread on steam forums since years now, last thing they posted in there is the "crown store feature steam users able to buy crowns from steam store" thats it. They completely ignore steam forums.

People having launcher/setup problems since years now and they did nothing about it, there's like 300+ over posts on steam forums you can check the steam ESO forums archive in search box.

And yet, I still want to play this game because I do love elder scrolls lore/story and its the one of the games I grew up with it.
    Honestly I prefer next elder scrolls game instead of this badly coded MMO game. Bethesda released over 10 pointless VR "games" and they did hide original TES game on steam store search. Only the "special version" comes out in search results.

and yet I still want to support this company, see? I'm a stupid person who loves a dead game series that cared only by fans and not by developers.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Bldgrflx wrote: »

also the method you mentioned doesnt working. Steam basically continues to download entire game even after I put my files to steamapps/common/Zenimax Online steam ignores the already-put files and continues to download entire game like they do not exists in zenimax folder which they do exists.
  • Niobium
    Niobium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a Steam issue here.

Check their forums.

I don't see how ZOS is responsible (or even knowledgeable) for how Steam deals with the handling of files on your end. If you use a middleman (ie. Steam) to be responsible for your games then you have to go through the middleman to get it fixed.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already happened to me on my laptop. Try restore point to the nearest previous date (make sure ESO was installed on that date).
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Already happened to me on my laptop. Try restore point to the nearest previous date (make sure ESO was installed on that date).

Thanks for the idea but I can't , I just formatted my computer (windows 10>recovery>reset this pc) I do not think previous restore points still there,
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    ok looks like I reached a point that needs a advice before I mess up something or the steam/launcher does.

I was in the kitchen for a night food , steam was downloading the game at background with launcher was open, I returned and now I see eso launcher finished downloading says "complete PLAY" meanwhile steam stopped itself downloading the game(not completed on steam side) this happened after I did that these move my files from backup drive matter.

Check for updates does nothing because launcher patches nothing, simply PLAY button appears everytime. and when I click on launcher (not steam) game crashes with this error code "error 6" "want to submit error report?"

so what gives? clearly something is wrong here and I have absolutely no idea what happened when I was in kitchen

any help game developers? @ZOS_JessicaFolsom thanks in advance
    Edited by DeltaForce64x on February 1, 2018 2:51AM
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you need to do what’s best for you, but if it were me, I’d fine the absolute cheapest version of the base game I could find and bail on steam for this game. Everything should transfer over. DLCs, morrowind, crown items, everything.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    I know you need to do what’s best for you, but if it were me, I’d fine the absolute cheapest version of the base game I could find and bail on steam for this game. Everything should transfer over. DLCs, morrowind, crown items, everything.

Certainly not, I already spent enough money on this specific game including crown store items. Plus, this is not my fault as far as I see, there's like plenty people who experienced this kind of installation/setup/update problems on steam version as I said before, ZOS replies to nothing on steam forums and users always ending up redownloading entire game and/or leaving the game eventually. Same issue happened during EU/US versions of the game was available on launcher selection before, they removed US/EU titles from the game files (again, as far as I remember) and did a one version

But I'm sure as hell I'm not going to spend a dollar(or whatever in my local currency) on this game no more since I purchased many things from crown store.
    Edited by DeltaForce64x on February 1, 2018 3:05AM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Certainly not, I already spent enough money on this specific game including crown store items. Plus, this is not my fault as far as I see, there's like plenty people who experienced this kind of installation/setup/update problems on steam version as I said before, ZOS replies to nothing on steam forums and users always ending up redownloading entire game and/or leaving the game eventually. Same issue happened during EU/US versions of the game was available on launcher selection before, they removed US/EU titles from the game files (again, as far as I remember) and did a one version

But I'm sure as hell I'm not going to spend a dollar(or whatever in my local currency) on this game no more since I purchased many things from crown store.

So my understanding of your problem is that you transferred all files to a back up drive. Then you reformatted your main drive, and then tried to transfer them back and now you are having issue with steam recognizing the files?

The game will have to be reinstalled have the integrity of the files verified not the game reinstalled. If you are clicking install in steam, it just re-downloading the entire game. What you would need to do is start the download to get Steam to create the right directory for the game. Then copy all of the files to the directory EXACTLY where they belong. If they are not exactly in the right folder it wont recognize them. Then, in the steam app right click ESO in your library> Click properties> Local files tab> Verify integrity of game files. Run that.

It will analyze what files you have and what you are missing. It will then download and repair the missing files instead of the entire game.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 1, 2018 6:01AM
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭

So my understanding of your problem is that you transferred all files to a back up drive. Then you reformatted your main drive, and then tried to transfer them back and now you are having issue with steam recognizing the files?

The game will have to be reinstalled. What you would need to do is start the download to get Steam to create the right directory for the game. Then copy all of the files to the directory EXACTLY where they belong. If they are not exactly in the right folder it wont recognize them. Then, in the steam app right click ESO in your library> Click properties> Local files tab> Verify integrity of game files. Run that.

It will analyze what files you have and what you are missing. It will then download and repair the missing files instead of the entire game.

Please try to read next time.

I'm using Steam platform since years now. I do know what folder path Steam uses for its games. I do know exact folder/path for ESO on Steam. Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online I already mentioned all of this in my previous posts.

Its the problem on devs end

Also "verify integrity of game files" is the problem. It removes every single file I put there and redownloads entire game from %1.
    I also tried to put my files into "downloading" folder on Steam, its the folder for Steam downloading games in progress, did not worked unfortunately.
    Edited by DeltaForce64x on February 1, 2018 6:05AM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The game will have to be reinstalled. What you would need to do is start the download to get Steam to create the right directory for the game. Then copy all of the files to the directory EXACTLY where they belong. If they are not exactly in the right folder it wont recognize them. Then, in the steam app right click ESO in your library> Click properties> Local files tab> Verify integrity of game files. Run that.

I'm using Steam platform since years now. I do know what folder path Steam uses for its games. I do know exact folder/path for ESO on Steam. Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online I already mentioned all of this in my previous posts.

Also "verify integrity of game files" is the problem. It removes every single file I put there and redownloads entire game from %1.

I did read, but your english is kind of choppy and you wander off on irrelevant information. Also, its nothing to do with the Zenimax devs. Your issue is in regards to Steam and im pretty sure that is a user issue. 99.9% of issues with steam that people demand steam or game devs fix is actually caused by the person's own lack of knowledge about how to use the steam app. Ive been using the same app for a decade maybe? and never have an issue with it.

Back to your problem. The parent folder( the one that needs to be created) is " Zenimax Online" . It should look something like this on your pc:
    https://imgur.com/a/LHziA

Notice the path in the address bar of the location of the Zenimax folder. Once your backups are in the correct folder, try verifying the integrity of the game. When you verify integrity, the game checks your files and downloads the files you need to play. There is no way around this. It is the only way you can play. It should not be as long as the install process. It will take a bit of time for steam to verify integrity depending on how good your pc is and your connection.

There is absolutely no way around verifying integrity on a mmo. Your game version has to meet the client version exactly or the game wont work. So your just going to have to suck it up and accept that you are going to have to download a chunk of the game still. How much i dont know. But you have to ask yourself if all the time you are spending doing a work around is worth it when you could of had a big jump on a reinstall.

If verifying removes every game file you put there then obviously the integrity of the file has been compromised and it needs to be redownloaded.

Edited by Anotherone773 on February 1, 2018 6:30AM
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭

I did read, but your english is kind of choppy and you wander off on irrelevant information. Also, its nothing to do with the Zenimax devs. Your issue is in regards to Steam and im pretty sure that is a user issue. 99.9% of issues with steam that people demand steam or game devs fix is actually caused by the person's own lack of knowledge about how to use the steam app. Ive been using the same app for a decade maybe? and never have an issue with it.

Back to your problem. The parent folder( the one that needs to be created) is " Zenimax Online" . It should look something like this on your pc:

Notice the path in the address bar of the location of the Zenimax folder. Once your backups are in the correct folder, try verifying the integrity of the game. When you verify integrity, the game checks your files and downloads the files you need to play. There is no way around this. It is the only way you can play. It should not be as long as the install process. It will take a bit of time for steam to verify integrity depending on how good your pc is and your connection.

There is absolutely no way around verifying integrity on a mmo. Your game version has to meet the client version exactly or the game wont work. So your just going to have to suck it up and accept that you are going to have to download a chunk of the game still. How much i dont know. But you have to ask yourself if all the time you are spending doing a work around is worth it when you could of had a big jump on a reinstall.

If verifying removes every game file you put there then obviously the integrity of the file has been compromised and it needs to be redownloaded.

I already told you, verify integrity of game files option deletes the backup files I put in there and starts to redownload entire game from start. Its the correct path and I do know.

I guess I should give up because I'm not going to leave my computer open at nights again to download this game.

thanks anyway
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭

I already told you, verify integrity of game files option deletes the backup files I put in there and starts to redownload entire game from start. Its the correct path and I do know.

I guess I should give up because I'm not going to leave my computer open at nights again to download this game.

thanks anyway

If verify integrity deletes the files, that means there is something wrong with them. You messed them up somehow. No way to fix that without re-downloading. that isn't ZOS or Steam's issue, it's yours.
  • nickszalinskieb17_ESO
    Not at all sorry for the necro. It is not a necro since it has not been fixed yet.

I have already sent a lawful request that Steam removes ESO from its store, since it does not meet Steam's standards.

Games incompatible with Steam are not welcome on Steam. AND ESO is definitely not compatible with steam, since both ESO and Steam downloader constantly keep rolling back eachother's "repairs".

Additionally, I have beeen trying to request a refund for the expansion. ESO support says that purchases on Steam have to be refunded through Steam support. Steam says if I get this refunded (only the expansion), entire game will be removed from my library. In short, stolen.

Wait, is Valve still registered in Luxemburg, or thay've already moved to North Korea?