The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Material Farming build. What's a good speed build?

Splattercat_83
Splattercat_83
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys I have been playing the game since lauch but never really sat down to "farm" mats as I have always picked up anything and everything as I run around. I am wanting to gold out a few different sets that I am wanting to test and I also want to stock up on some mats and improvement mats as my supply has ran low. I tried to run some farming routes, and even playing on my mag blade (which is fairly fast) I am getting beaten to the nodes like I am going into reverse.

Whats a good set combination for a stamina character for speed and mobility for farming? I have a max cp redgaurd stam sorc I will be doing this on btw, with everything maxed out, all skill lines, passives etc. I just don't know where to start. I've thought about Fiords+Jailbreaker.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Cowards and Jailbreaker on my character that farming/writs/etc. Could also use steed mundus on top of that.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stam sorc darkstride fiords or stride/cowards
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorc streak
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't bother with optimal speed builds. Instead, I use my thief, as per http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-collector/ He can sneak at 125% of normal walking speed. Major or Minor Expedition buffs are on top of that. Stamina for movement is essentially infinite. Best of all, it's rare that he has to fight mobs to pick something up.

Elements of the build include:
    • Nightblade
    • Skills: Concealed Weapon, Cloak (either morph), Retreating Maneuvers
    • Night's Silence set (which I use) or vampire
    • Night Terror and/or Night Mother's Embrace set(s)
    • Stealthy race: Bosmer (which I use) or Khajiit
    • Medium armor passives, Legerdemain passive, and/or CP

When he does have to fight, what he's giving up vs. an optimal build is basically 3 skillbar slots and some set bonuses. Obviously, that's no problem vs. the mobs he'll encounter while farming.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on January 31, 2018 2:00AM
  • Rokushakubo
    Rokushakubo
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Francis. Stealth trumps speed. I use the same general set up: 5pc Night Mothers, 3 piece Night Terror and 3pc Cyrodil Ward (15% mount speed). Having all the extra speed means nothing to me when I'm getting harrassed by mobs. With the above setup I have the highest possible stealth detection radius deduction possible (im khajiit). I can literally run right infront of enemies unseen in stealth at a speed that's somewhere between running and sprinting.

It's also OP for ledgerdemain and cheesing pvp (stealth around to keeps as they're taken, no risk, all reward.)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would it be necessarily stealthy? Overland mobs are so weak they simply splatter at the first hit. In fact you can use that to your advantage by equipping Vicious Ophidian (Craglorn trials) set on a stamina character, ideally Orsimer (speed bonus) Stamina (medium armor speed bonus) Sorcerer (great AoE damage, you can also get major expedition from Hurricane Too), with the other set being Jailbreaker (Banished Cells). See a rat or wolf next to the node? Boom: major expedition and stamina back to sprint to the next. This way you add some more leather to your silk, wood, ore, runes and plants :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cowards and prisoner

But remember to get well fitted
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Why would it be necessarily stealthy? Overland mobs are so weak they simply splatter at the first hit. In fact you can use that to your advantage by equipping Vicious Ophidian (Craglorn trials) set on a stamina character, ideally Orsimer (speed bonus) Stamina (medium armor speed bonus) Sorcerer (great AoE damage, you can also get major expedition from Hurricane Too), with the other set being Jailbreaker (Banished Cells). See a rat or wolf next to the node? Boom: major expedition and stamina back to sprint to the next. This way you add some more leather to your silk, wood, ore, runes and plants :)
    Unfortunately, if you kill a rat/squirrel/shroom beetle the game cancels your Quick Serpent buff. Rapids is much more reliable. I still wear VO while farming because I don't need night's silence on my vampire stamblade and I cba to change my gear, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to max their harvesting.

Besides, leather is cheap and I can run to & harvest any other node in the time it takes to kill a welwa or group of goblins; I can quickly cloak past/away from anything stronger. The stamina regen tick while you harvest is more than enough to keep up rapids 100% of the time.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

Actually sorc gets minor expedition from hurricane. It'd be better to go Coward over Jailbreaker if you want major expedition consistently. That or you just use rapid maneuver
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really faster than streak or a mount?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Farmer is not a Sorc, so I dont have access to minor expidition. Therefore, I run Jailbreaker (minor expedition), Fiords (increase sprint by 15%), the steed mundus, and a mix of divines +well-fitted gear. All divines is more top end speed, but a few well fitted pieces means you can sprint longer. I obviously keep rapids up at all times when farming.

If you are a stam sorc, you can swap jailbreaker for Cowards gear. You wont need to use rapids, but you will need to keep up hurricane, so actually, even on a sorc, Jailbreaker is less button pushing and can be done while mounted (hurricane will dismount you).

Only thing you can really do on top of that is to make sure armor is 7/7 medium, you have CP for the mount speed, and you make your race orc.

The other option would be to make a streaking sorc with dark conversion and high stam regen. My stam NB farmer is an imperial and she absolutely flies across the map. Much better for farming than a streaking sorc IMO.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 31, 2018 6:04PM
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a movespeed cap as of a few patches ago, whether you hit it with or without stealth doesn’t matter if speed is ur goal.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Focusing on speed when stealthed is ideal because of the lockout when you kill a mob. Sure it's easy to kill whatever trash you come across, and then you have to sit there for 5 seconds waiting to be allowed to harvest a node.