The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

hep setting up

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
please can I get some advice on setting up my skill bars for my sorc.. using destro/resto
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing PVE? Then we just need to know pet sorc or not.

If pet sorc, here's a very simplistic damage bar on destro/healing bar on resto set up:

Destro Bar: Force Shock (great spammable), Wall of Elements (great AOE and damage over time), Volatile Familiar (great damage), Twilight Matriarch (great burst heals), and Mage's Fury (Execute) or Liquid Lightning (another AOE DOT)

Resto Bar: Healing Ward (damage shield) or Annulment (light armor damage shield) or Conjured Ward (damage shield), Healing Springs (AOE heals), Volatile Familiar + Twilight Matriarch (double-barred so they don't disappear on barswap), Rapid Regen or Combat Prayer (Combat Prayer has better gorup buffs, regeneration has better resource return) or Liquid Lightning/Mage's Fury if you want that and couldn't fit it on the Destro Bar

For a non-pet sorc, here's another relatively simple set-up:

Destro Bar: Force Shock, Wall of Elements, Crystal Fragments (only used when its instant), Liquid Lightning (AOE DOT), Power Surge (more power + self heals) or Lightning Form (extra protection + aoe damage) or Bound Armor (extra protection and magicka but you'll have to double bar it) or Inner Light from Mages Guild (extra magicka)

Resto Bar: Healing Springs, One of the Damage Shield skills listed above, Rapid Regen/Combat Prayer, and anything you want from the sorc skills

Neither of these are necessarily high DPS rotations or the exact combo of skills you see on the main guides for sorc builds. However, Its designed to be a fairly simple DPS rotation. You'll throw your AOE DOTs like Liquid Lightning and Wall of Elements, then use your pets or your spammable to kill enemies. You can damage shield yourself and then heal when you need it. with the resto staff or the twilight matriarch. If that's too resource intensive, use heavy attacks after you've set your AOE DOTs.

As a healer, you'll be relying on the resto staff and Healing Springs for healing everyone in the group, with the Twilight Matriarch for big burst heals. Combat Prayer gives your group plenty of nice buffs, and you'll probably want to pick up the Undaunted Orbs that help with resource return when you can. If you are maining a healer in group dungeons, I'd grab Elemental Drain from destro staff for additional resource return. You'll also have plenty of opportunity to do DPS, so the general approach of AOE DOTs + heals works well even as a healer.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the info. I'm looking for pvp bar set up ideally though. can you help with that?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay for PVP, ditch the pets. Pets are pretty much a nuisance. You can use the Twilight Matriarch if you really want to, but most of the time she's a big flappy target and an experienced player will either ignore it to kill you or if they can't, will kill it and then kill you.

Resto Staff: Healing Springs and Mutagen. These are your best friends - spam them proactively and spam them often. You'll get extra AP for healing players so don't be afraid to spread the Heals around. Cleanse (Alliance War Support Line), super useful for getting rid of nasty poisons and siege effects. If you are going to be sieging, grab the Siege Shield skill from the Alliance War Support line. Then, Healing Ward or the light armor Annulment damage shield, because PVP sorcs can shield stack. Combat Prayer can be really useful in a group, it'll slow you down to use it on yourself.

I mained a MagDK healer in PVP for about a year, and I did fine with Healing Springs, Mutagen and Cleanse for group heals. It lacks the burst healing of the templar, so use your heals proactively, well before you are almost dead.

Destro Staff: There's a lot of flexibility here. You can go for a hit-and-run style with Streak. You could go melee aoe with Boundless storm and impulse. Or for a simpler "these are useful skills" type of build:

Conjured Ward for Shield Stacking. That's where you cast two different shields so that they overlap, forcing the enemy to break through both of them. This can be resource intensive, but you'll want at least one shield on your bars.
    Mage's Fury - this is your kill-stealing execute. If an enemy is at low health, hit them with this.
    Boundless Storm/Bound Armor - these are protective spells. Boundless Storm has greater resistances, Bound Amro needs to be double barred but grants more magicka.
    Defensive Rune - this will stun an enemy that attacks you. If you need a little more defensive to give yourself a chance to react, this is really nice.
    Proxy Detonation - a delayed burst of magic damage from the Alliance War Assault line, if you want to get up close and personal.
    Flame Reach - requires an Inferno Staff, but has a great ranged knockback. Good way to send an enemy flying.
    Streak - for when you absolutely, positively have to run anyway.

I'd definitely grab Mage's Fury and then fill your bar with the skills that seem to fit your playstyle. Be wary of ground-based AOEs like Wall of Elements or Liquid Lightning. Those are super effective in PVE, but most PVP players will walk right out of them unless you've dropped them on a keep's flags or something.

Ultimates:
    Eye of the Storm: unless you are planning to throw your ultimate on keep flags, pick the morph that moves with you. The Destro ulti does great damage.
    Negate: if you are running with groups, Negate is a powerful anti-enemy-group ultimate. When you negate the enemy, they can't heal with magicka, so its much easier to kill them. If you aren't running against large groups or in a group of your own, I suggest...
    Meteor: Mages Guild Ultimate, this is great for dropping onto groups of players or finishing off that one guy running away from you after you wiped his buddies.
    Barrier: Alliance War Support ultimate. Very nice in groups and solo/small group play, this is a spectacular damage shield for when you want to buy yourself some extra seconds to get out of dodge or to charge through siege to capture a keep's flags.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few synergies based on destro / resto .
    Resto -
    1. Crit surge or entropy
    2. Curse (put here but make sure you’re on Destro Bar when it goes off
    3. Healing ward
    4. Ball lightning or pet
    5. Dark deal or lightning form
    U resto ult

Destro
    1. Crystal frag
    2. Mage’s wrath
    3. Force pulse or clench
    4. Hardened ward
    5. Pet or defensive rune or encase or leftover skill from #3
    U storm atro meteor or destro ult or dawnbreaker or negate
    Edited by Thogard on February 1, 2018 6:21AM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is how my setup looks like

Destro/ dual wield

1. Hardened Ward
    2 fury
    3. Clench / rune cage
    4. frag
    5. Inner light
    Utli: Meteor/ dawnbreaker

Restro

1. harness
    2. curse
    3. Boundless storm
    4. streak
    5. healing ward
    Ulti: restro / overload

I usually like one ward on each bar since mag sorc has a non existent health pool in PVP

My basic combos with that setup look like
    curse -> light attack restro to proc beserker -> bar swap -->fury -> clench/ rune cage -> frag. Make sure curse / frag / fury/ ultimate(if up) go off at the same time. if u have a meteor u can use it before cage/ clench and if you have dawnbreaker u can use it in place of cage/ clench

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duel weild...why?
    Edited by Syiccal on February 1, 2018 10:06AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    duel weild...why?

Dual Wielding Swords give extra damage from a passive. If PhoenixGrey doesn't use clench from destro staff on that bar, then dual wield swords boosts the damage of all the sorc abilities on that bar.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea sure I understand that I use dw on my magplar..i mean I just thought staff was better on sorc
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea sure I understand that I use dw on my magplar..i mean I just thought staff was better on sorc

If you want to use Destruction staff abilities, such as the ultimate, clench or even just as a ranged light/heavy attack option, destruction staff will be good on a sorc.

If you don't want to use destruction staff abilities, but instead want to use sorc/guild abilities to do damage, then dual wield swords will boost your damage there.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duel weild...why?

If you go dual wield, you can slot rune cage instead of clench and meteor becomes an option as an ultimate.

I would use destro on a sorc only if you have a master's staff which I don't. Clench without master's staff will do very less damage and also has a high resource cost.

IMO even with master's staff sorc burst on destro is too less to hurt anyone but then that's just me and many will disagree. Maybe next patch i can use destro with some sets coming out.

With dual wield you can manage resources better and equip 5-5-2 which means more damage and more max mag. Rune cage changes goes through block and you can guarantee a burst when your opponent is cc'd
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say I've not heard before on any mag class how dw gives better sustain
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say I've not heard before on any mag class how dw gives better sustain

In case of dual wield sorc you don't have a spammable so you save some magicka there. If you go destro without master's staff, you will run outta magicka fast since you will be spamming clench / crushing shock/ pulse as your burst combos are not strong enough.

I never said sustain is better with dual wield , i said you can manage resources better with dual wield sorc since your rotation serves to burst and not to wear down opponents like you will with destro
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 1, 2018 7:39PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah ok i see what your saying.
    Edited by Syiccal on February 1, 2018 7:48PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at min using a destro my combo is
    curse-fury-clench-frag and repeat.
    with some light/heavy attacks weaved in