The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How do bots work on console?

WildRaptorX
WildRaptorX
✭✭✭✭✭
I play on Xbox EU and all I see is bots. I don’t know anything about how people get bots onto gaming systems but I know that it’s variable on PC. But I don’t get how people are botting on console? I don’t want to bot that’s no fun, but how to they manage to get their characters moving around and killing (are they looting aswell?) when they’re are not actually playing the game. How is it even possible?
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they do is make really tiny treadmills for millipedes, and then put all the treadmills in a gyroscope and then put the gyroscope on a gear crank connected to the second hand of a clock.

Because you have to be a real genius to cheat, apparently.
    Edited by Acrolas on January 26, 2018 6:31PM
    signing off
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They dont lol

Most people can do is rubber band but getting a character to act on its own without being there in person is impossible on console.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    They dont lol

Most people can do is rubber band but getting a character to act on its own without being there in person is impossible on console.

On a normal console yes, on a console that has been hacked to run unsigned code and used in conjunction with a PC it is possible. Takes a pro to do it though.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They dont lol

This is patently false. There are countless bot trains on console. There are ways to do it. I've seen them with my own eyes and they look identical to bot groups and train videos I've seen from PC players.
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a ton of bots on the PS4 during the holiday event, farming wolves and wasps for the one quest I can't think of the name...
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and those bots are more than likely Chinese farmers who do it for a living and have invested in the hacked hardware.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stonetooth Bash @Hurtfan
    That whole betnikh island is a bot-hot-spot on Xbox NA.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most bots are hacked consoles. That and they would use preprogrammed controllers as well.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    I play on Xbox EU and all I see is bots. I don’t know anything about how people get bots onto gaming systems but I know that it’s variable on PC. But I don’t get how people are botting on console? I don’t want to bot that’s no fun, but how to they manage to get their characters moving around and killing (are they looting aswell?) when they’re are not actually playing the game. How is it even possible?

Well, I (previously) had a very similar thread as this questioning how the hell peeps even able to generate bots on console, and said thread was shut down by ZOS. I sure this thread is also short-lived. Hell, I don't even care anymore. Bots are still everywhere, on any given day. Whatever.. but, it just shows that console is not immune to manipulation (or cheating.)
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hurtfan wrote: »
    I saw a ton of bots on the PS4 during the holiday event, farming wolves and wasps for the one quest I can't think of the name...

Nope, what you saw were their pets (Sorcs) killing the wolves. The PS4 is next to impossible to hack and if some have managed it, it's not gonna be your average scrub and will be very low lvl hacks. No idea about the Xbox. But I suspect it's pretty much the same as the PS4.

Borderlands 2 was one of the most abused games on console last gen, editors, hacked weapons etc etc, yet you can't do any of that on either the X1 or PS4, it all has to be transferred over from the 360 and PS3 respectively.

Would love to see some of the evidence people are spouting about how it's just a case of linking up a PC to a PS4, because as far as I know, that only works if a game allows a cross save from the previous console in question to the new console. ESO was never on last gen consoles, so I'm calling shenanigans on all those claims.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on January 26, 2018 7:06PM
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Well, I (previously) had a very similar thread as this questioning how the hell peeps even able to generate bots on console, and said thread was shut down by ZOS. I sure this thread is also short-lived. Hell, I don't even care anymore. Bots are still everywhere, on any given day. Whatever.. but, it just shows that console is not immune to manipulation (or cheating.)

I understand if ZOS want to close my thread completely! Can’t go giving people tips on how to bot!
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    They dont lol

This is patently false. There are countless bot trains on console. There are ways to do it. I've seen them with my own eyes and they look identical to bot groups and train videos I've seen from PC players.

this^ ive seen them a billion times over. there is very much a way to do it thats being used all over. people saying its not possible on console are very very wrong. and it spreads misinformation. bots is not a pc problem only
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do they work?

The same as they do on PC

Not sure why people don’t comprehend devices like the Chromaxus and other emulations which require PC use to integrate wouldn’t allow full blown botting

It’s prob a diff setup but the same software once the hardware is in place.....seeming with the same usb hub as they move in sync on top of one another.

Sure rubber banding occurs too but the update seems to have resolved that
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, what you saw were their pets (Sorcs) killing the wolves. The PS4 is next to impossible to hack and if some have managed it, it's not gonna be your average scrub and will be very low lvl hacks. No idea about the Xbox. But I suspect it's pretty much the same as the PS4.

Borderlands 2 was one of the most abused games on console last gen, editors, hacked weapons etc etc, yet you can't do any of that on either the X1 or PS4, it all has to be transferred over from the 360 and PS3 respectively.

Would love to see some of the evidence people are spouting about how it's just a case of linking up a PC to a PS4, because as far as I know, that only works if a game allows a cross save from the previous console in question to the new console. ESO was never on last gen consoles, so I'm calling shenanigans on all those claims.

It is not cross save, it is packet filtering and injection.
    The Sony Development Kit, SDK was leaked onto the internet a while back.
    But not giving more detail than that.
    Edited by TequilaFire on January 26, 2018 7:36PM
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it were possible to get some sort of script to run on console and as things currently stand, it would be impossible to get custom processes to run on either of the xbox and ps4 and use the console online. With ESO being online only for obvious reasons, the console would be banned in no time. Xbox do this on a regular basis too. That's why these people remain offline. It's why people go for certain OS builds. As soon as you go online, you console updates and both Sony and MS pick up on this and brick your console and ban your account. Their respective forums are littered with these kids all crying about not being able to use their console as they erroneously connected to the respective console network.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on January 26, 2018 7:39PM
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every instance of every zone on xbox has bots. Usually in stacks of 20+ sorcs heavy attacking and pets killing fast spawning hide producing mobs.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Botting is possible on all platforms - you just need more complex equipment to make the botting scripts work on console.

Anyway botting is a bannable offence - if you spot bots then report them.

Also pay close attention to those bots - as it might be not a bot at all - but just a player farming while doing his things in real life.

I farmed anchors many times this way - put the speakers on - and when I hear the anchors dropping then I farm it for 2 minutes then another 10 minutes of AFK activity - very time efficient if you need to clean your house for example - or eat - or watch a movie.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    Most bots are hacked consoles. That and they would use preprogrammed controllers as well.
    Programmable controllers should work well enough. Not that this is not real booting, its macroing or how pc players do LA animation canceling :)
    Yes its way better than rubber banding as you can use abilities like AoE, an rotation with multiple AoE, self heal or shields, you could even set up you character to rotate and so on, however its no feedback. You are doing this totally bind.

Now running if you can jailbreak an Xbox One you can run external software, just as on an PC, now if you unplug it and just play pirated games you download on your pc this would works for ever.
    However ESO is an online game, ESO will deny player with an non updated client it will require an updated OS, Microsoft is likely to require this.
    Now ESO is doing pretty well however Overwatch and some other games is 10 time larger and have more professional developers. being pure pvp games hacks also hurts way worse.
    In short I doubt you can run an cracked console online for long.
    Its so many ways you could uncover this.
    Again bots would require software written for use with eso.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Armatesz wrote: »
    Programmable controllers should work well enough. Not that this is not real booting, its macroing or how pc players do LA animation canceling :)
    Yes its way better than rubber banding as you can use abilities like AoE, an rotation with multiple AoE, self heal or shields, you could even set up you character to rotate and so on, however its no feedback. You are doing this totally bind.

Now running if you can jailbreak an Xbox One you can run external software, just as on an PC, now if you unplug it and just play pirated games you download on your pc this would works for ever.
    However ESO is an online game, ESO will deny player with an non updated client it will require an updated OS, Microsoft is likely to require this.
    Now ESO is doing pretty well however Overwatch and some other games is 10 time larger and have more professional developers. being pure pvp games hacks also hurts way worse.
    In short I doubt you can run an cracked console online for long.
    Its so many ways you could uncover this.
    Again bots would require software written for use with eso.

You can't run a cracked console online for any amount of time. It get's picked upon as soon as you log in. Also, like you said, most of the chipped/homebrew consoles from last gen were for offline use only, to play SP games. It was possible last gen to use save editors, manipulate values within those editors and fill your boots a la Borderlands 2. Those saves can and are still used in the remastered PS4/X1 versions.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Every instance of every zone on xbox has bots. Usually in stacks of 20+ sorcs heavy attacking and pets killing fast spawning hide producing mobs.

Which makes me wonder, why dont we simply remove leather from the game and combine it with cloth. It seems that the number one offense of bots is to harvest leather in order to sell wax. I am sure they would find something else to farm, but every time I see what I think is a bot, it appears to me that it's primary mission is to collect decon material for wax.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 26, 2018 8:32PM
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any hacked console gets bricked by Sony very quickly.
    More likely people have figured out how to create macro programs for pro controllers.

Too bad ZOS is to cheap to pay for in-game GM’s.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume that the XB1/PS4 "remote play" features could be exploited pretty easily to automate input to the game.

Anyone who thinks consoles don't have bots is bonkers.

Go to a starter zone and look around. You'll find plenty of places with 15 identical magsorcs all named "aefc3491" and "hftg4573" and "jjyt5786" standing on top of each other with Power Surge, Lightning Form, and pets on.

Fun tip for anyone who hates bots and has too much free time: in some places, the bots are active near real enemies (rather than just wolves or bears or whatever). You can aggro the adds and drag them on top of the bots to kill them.
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, they did have a bunch of pets running around. So human "controlled", they just let the pets farm, and that they did. They were everywhere, at least where the wolves spawned.
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carved hills betnikh ps4 NA, like 50 bots this vid is EU but It's basically the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgPhkrzkacM
    Edited by bloodthirstyvampire on January 26, 2018 9:22PM
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can you please start putting a hard IP ban on these bot accounts? Something that will slow them down cause it's getting nuts.

Also believe it or not alot of end game players are buying gold and this contributes to the problem. There needs to be a more strict plan in place with dealing with these kinds of people.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of naive doubters in this thread, wish I could post how links without violating TOS.
    There are some very talented hacks out there.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bots are are great advertising tool, eg. 10 million stories. Just like any good maths or news stories. Small bit of information and make what you like of it.

10 million player, 9 million may be bots? But lets not let that get in the way of a good story now.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can you please start putting a hard IP ban on these bot accounts? Something that will slow them down cause it's getting nuts.

Also believe it or not alot of end game players are buying gold and this contributes to the problem. There needs to be a more strict plan in place with dealing with these kinds of people.

The best way to get end game players to stop buying gold is to give them back a way to make gold in-game.

Bet that wasn't nearly the problem it is now when there was BoE gear in Trials.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of naive doubters in this thread, wish I could post how links without violating TOS.
    There are some very talented hacks out there.

Yeah I've seen it with my own eyes. Furthermore this gen of consoles have been out for a long-time I'd be shocked if someone hasn't found a way to get a modified console on the network without being flagged.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles are just computers. They do it the same way you do it on PC. The console is just running a different operating system. Like jailbreaking an iPhone, it requires doing things that aren't exactly allowed.