The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Guar and Dinosaurs

Iccotak
Iccotak
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
NOTE:
1. This is my opinion
2. I am NOT suggesting replacing Guar. I know people like them
3. I am not solely talking about mounts. I am talking about the variety of wild life in ESO in general.

As a Dinosaur and Reptile enthusiast, the dino-like creatures and mounts we have so far are...bad. They look like mouths with legs. They look horribly cartoonish nor the least bit interesting.
Also nothing of the guar suggests herbivorous. They look like they have the head of a Snake.

I understand that they had this to work with, but come on.
beast_morrowind_guar.png

It's 2018 we have better technology and a better understanding of Dinosaurs. There is so much inspiration waiting to be used.
We get realistic looking horses, wolves, cats, but our dino mounts look like something pulled from a cartoon?

I would take a hadrosaur over a guar.
latest?cb=20111205142107

Also There actually are dinosaur type creatures in Elder Scrolls. Take the Swamp Leviathan for example. It would make a great World Boss, or maybe it would fit better as a Trial Boss.
V63ka8E.jpg

More Realistically; How about some non-mechanical versions of these guys?
952ec59f335f36112d4a0fa6cfe82e4e.jpg

On a side note; the fact that Guar don't look any different in Black Marsh as compared to Morrowind is a perfect example of the homogenization in ESO due to re-purposing assets without doing anything to differentiate them. Maybe give them different skin patterns depending on where they are. They should be adapted to their environment.
Why not use the Tessellated Guar?
ESO-Mount-Tessellated-Guar.gif

1301x700_9588_The_Knight_s_Way_2d_fantasy_knight_dinosaurs_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...I'm sorry I got completely distracted when you said Swamp Leviathan and it occurred to me we haven't gotten to kill any of those yet. *re-reads*

I'm not terribly bothered by monsters that don't match real-world equivalents, Tamriel being someone's dream world and all, but I would like to see more variety in the generic creatures depending on location. They did it with the Netches, they could do it in other species too.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • LordSylvestrion
    I honestly don't think Guar are meant to be mounts, but more so donkeys which can carry stuff for you. Probably with a bit of inspiration from the T-rex or something.

Though I will agree, they are hideous as hell. I would prefer the guar-chicken things oversized as mounts. <3
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think Guar are meant to be mounts, but more so donkeys which can carry stuff for you. Probably with a bit of inspiration from the T-rex or something.

Though I will agree, they are hideous as hell. I would prefer the guar-chicken things oversized as mounts. <3

Trust me I know I have a flame one -_-