The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar healer advice needed

florincmf
florincmf
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone,

I am running a Templar Argonian healer build at the moment (ps4 platform) and after spending a significant amount of time looking for what I am supposed to use regarding the gear/abilities I came across many different views so I am here looking for more clarification if someone is willing to offer it.

I am cp188 for now and doing my hardest to farm Spell power cure set and Worm Cult as I read that these 2 are a good combination and give decent stats for group runs. Am I doing the right thing farming all day long these two dungeons to get the 2 sets or shall I focus on something different?

Now I am in doubt of what abilities to use to so I would appreciate if someone would give me a good rotation for groups of 4 or more.

Thank you very much to all whom might be able to help a newbie!

• Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's good to farm those sets, but don't burn yourself out doing it.

As for rotation, just remember this flowchart: buffs/de-buffs -> resource support -> active healing -> dps

Buffs/debuffs: Combat Prayer, Regeneration, cleansing ritual/runic focus, power of the light/purifying light, elemental drain, lightning blockade

Resource support: luminous shards/blazing spear, healing orb

Active heals: breath of life, healing springs

Dps: Jesus beam, jabs

Your mileage may vary from each of these skills, but these are the skills most commonly picked in 4 man content. (Trials have a slightly different set up)

In 4 man dungeons, with a group that isn't brain dead, you will almost always skip over your active heals as your buffs/HoTs will usually be enough to keep your group up.

Kiss the chaos.
  • florincmf
    florincmf
    Soul Shriven
    Illurian wrote: »
    Yes, it's good to farm those sets, but don't burn yourself out doing it.

As for rotation, just remember this flowchart: buffs/de-buffs -> resource support -> active healing -> dps

Buffs/debuffs: Combat Prayer, Regeneration, cleansing ritual/runic focus, power of the light/purifying light, elemental drain, lightning blockade

Resource support: luminous shards/blazing spear, healing orb

Active heals: breath of life, healing springs

Dps: Jesus beam, jabs

Your mileage may vary from each of these skills, but these are the skills most commonly picked in 4 man content. (Trials have a slightly different set up)

In 4 man dungeons, with a group that isn't brain dead, you will almost always skip over your active heals as your buffs/HoTs will usually be enough to keep your group up.

Many thanks for finding the time to give me more info about this class. I am not focusing only on those dungeons, I do run with a Sanctuary set now and a Julianos one and I did improve them as much as I could.

Thank you once again!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing to understand is anything that helps Spell Damage, Spell Critical and Magic Resources will help a healer. I have been healing for 3 years now and I still don't have any of the "special" sets. I run Julianos 5 piece, 3 Piece Willpower, 2 Piece Vicious Death (of all things) and 1 Molag Kena and I can keep any decent group alive in any content. I am one necklace away from using Light Speaker on my Healer. If I ever get Spell Power Cure, fine, but I hate running Vet WGT for the Jewlery, so it may never happen.

So, while the sets you are chasing are made for healers, I won't say they are required for healers.

Your biggest issue in the longer boss fights is resource management. Learning to slow down the rotations so that you only apply things as needed is probably as important as what rotation you use. Also, make sure you put some points into the Champ Passive that returns more resources on a heavy attack (Tenacity IIRC). I have 77 points in that.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Thing to understand is anything that helps Spell Damage, Spell Critical and Magic Resources will help a healer. I have been healing for 3 years now and I still don't have any of the "special" sets. I run Julianos 5 piece, 3 Piece Willpower, 2 Piece Vicious Death (of all things) and 1 Molag Kena and I can keep any decent group alive in any content. I am one necklace away from using Light Speaker on my Healer. If I ever get Spell Power Cure, fine, but I hate running Vet WGT for the Jewlery, so it may never happen.

So, while the sets you are chasing are made for healers, I won't say they are required for healers.

Your biggest issue in the longer boss fights is resource management. Learning to slow down the rotations so that you only apply things as needed is probably as important as what rotation you use. Also, make sure you put some points into the Champ Passive that returns more resources on a heavy attack (Tenacity IIRC). I have 77 points in that.

So several notes here:

While yes, anything that increases your max Magicka or Spell Power will increase your healing output, assuming you have most (if not all) attribute points into magicka and are running a minimum 5 light armor with most (if not full) Magicka enchantments, your heals will be potent enough to keep your group alive anyway. You could be running Seducer's set, which gives hardly any benefit to your Spell Power/Max magicka, and still have enough potency behind your heals to keep your group alive without any issue.

The difference that SPC (and to a lesser extent in 4 man content, Worm's Cult) brings to the group, however, is buffs to your group. SPC flat up buffs your magicka DPS' spell power, while worm's cult aids with your magicka DPS' sustain. This is only beneficial to your group as a whole, as the more dps your group can output, the quicker and smoother your runs will be. Yes, this is heavily weighted towards having Magicka DPS in your group, but the average group will at least have 1 Magicka dps character.

Resource management is an issue for any class, not just healers, but healers have it much easier imo. The restoration staff passive already gives you back more magicka per heavy attack, so as long as you are heavy weaving every now and then, you should be able to sustain your resources without much of an issue.

Also, a quick note, you should have 75 in Tenacity or 100. Due to the way jump points work, putting 77 into Tenacity means that you're wasting 2 champion points.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, a quick note, you should have 75 in Tenacity or 100. Due to the way jump points work, putting 77 into Tenacity means that you're wasting 2 champion points.

I had two points left over so dumped them in there....

But your right, pay attention to the Jump Points.

The issue with Resources is, most people who come to healers, or tanks for that matter, came from DPS. They need to learn to slow down the skill rotations from the rate they did things in DPS.

Yes, SPC and Worm Cult help the group, but they are not required for healing outside of Trial Leaderboard chases. People are lead to believe that they need the BiS or Meta to have any hope in this game. This is not true. This turns the game into a gear grind rather than a game to play and enjoy the content. So, would the OP enjoy themselves more being a healer, or chasing the gear?

Not everything in the game has to hinge on, or be gauged by, Competitive Vet Trials.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I had two points left over so dumped them in there....

But your right, pay attention to the Jump Points.

The issue with Resources is, most people who come to healers, or tanks for that matter, came from DPS. They need to learn to slow down the skill rotations from the rate they did things in DPS.

Yes, SPC and Worm Cult help the group, but they are not required for healing outside of Trial Leaderboard chases. People are lead to believe that they need the BiS or Meta to have any hope in this game. This is not true. This turns the game into a gear grind rather than a game to play and enjoy the content. So, would the OP enjoy themselves more being a healer, or chasing the gear?

Not everything in the game has to hinge on, or be gauged by, Competitive Vet Trials.

Oh, you're absolutely right in that you don't need BiS healing gear to be able to heal. It's simply the cherry on top.

I view it more as a goal and direction to work towards. You're going to be healing and doing dungeons anyway - why not do it in a direction that benefits you?
    Kiss the chaos.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run this for skills:

Lightning staff bar: EleDrain, LumShards, Blockade, Channeled Focus, Sweeps.

Resto staff bar: Extended Ritual, Mutagen, Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, BoL.

I also have fully morphed up and ready to slot if necessary several other excellent skills: Orbs, Radiant Glory, Reflective Light, Purifying Light.

Regarding mag regen, I find that EleDrain, Channeled Focus, decent regen (1750) and spell power potions does a good job.

Though the setup on my Templar healer is not particularly unusual, I don't really chase or fret the meta. Heck, she is a Bosmer without SPC. Lol. My interest is in normal content and she does great.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • florincmf
    florincmf
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for your constructive feedback and to the huge amount of info!

I did realise that keeping the mana is a key element so I don't overheal and waste important mana unless it is a critical situation of my group having less than 30% hp. I use "flash" heal for everything above 65% - 70% and max their health with that only.

I am not chasing those sets necessarily, I focus also on maximising professions and farming items for gold. I just wanted a view of what you should wear as a healer and what is it considered the best match.

Does anyone mind sharing their CP stats? How much goes into what and how to distribute them perfectly?

Another question that I have: Do you focus on getting increasing Magicka recovery or just getting Magicka Cost reduction?