The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Eso keeps resetting & desktop icons reset

oMrRust
oMrRust
✭✭✭✭
I do not know what's going on, my icons keep arranging back to default after restart, & my ESO settings are like. Wiped.
Video settings. Gameplay settings..
Why
Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 10, 2022 12:17AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are experiencing an issue where your settings are not saving after you exit the game, perform the following steps:
    1. Navigate to C:\Users\user.name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live.
    2. Right-click on your UserSettings.txt file and select Properties.
    3. Ensure that it is not set to read only. If the Read Only option is checked, uncheck it.

If the box is unchecked and the issue persists, delete your usersettings.txt file and restart the game.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oMrRust wrote: »
    I do not know what's going on, my icons keep arranging back to default after restart, & my ESO settings are like. Wiped.
    Video settings. Gameplay settings..
    Why

Sounds like you've got a temporary user profile. Windows problem, not ESO one. Try creating a folder on your desktop and rebooting. If it's gone after the reboot then at least you know where you now stand.

To cure it, you normally need to do a full profile reset if your old one is properly corrupt, just make sure it's backed up as you could loose all old documents if you're not careful. & Until it's fixed, do NOT save anything to your desktop or my docs folder.
  • Crismac
    Crismac
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I know this thread is 4 years old but I have been playing the game since July last year and have been having this issue since I started. I did what ZOS Bill said but the file keeps going back to read-only. So then I tried deleting it and when I rebooted the game it wanted me to start from the beginning select server and darkness of screen. I don't want to lose my character over this.

I also did what aeowuf said and created a file on the desktop and restarted and the file didn't disappear so no problem there.

So I am not sure what to do I guess I will never get the names to show up in-game which is fine I guess but it would be more helpful if I could use them. My game is installed in OneDrive so not sure that is the problem. I would like some help on this because I know of at least 2 others that have the same issue.

Thanks, folks.
  • Crismac
    Crismac
    ✭✭✭
    Also when I use a wayshrine the settings revert back to default 3 seconds after I arrive FYI.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    With this thread over three years old with some outdated information, we've decided to close the discussion. If you still need help, please feel free to start a new thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.