The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar PvP Tank?

Ohhgrizyyy
Ohhgrizyyy
✭✭✭✭
What's a good group support/Tank build for a magplar? I want something that I can tank and maybe heal a bit with but also be that guy where if it's group vs group I can possibly pop a proxy and do some dmg. Any ideas?
Playing on PS4 NA server and current characters are CP 750

Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magsorc PvP (outdated)
Lvl 50 EP Wood Elf Nightblade (Currently my crafter)
Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magplar PvP (outdated healbot)
Lvl 50 EP Redguard Stam DK PvE (updating)
Lvl 50 EP Dark Elf Mag DK PvP

All my builds are outdated...I quit for a year lmao

PSN ID: SDL_Griz
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blobeso has a good build, wizard riposte + spell power on backar with 2x willpower front and pirate Skeleton.
    it's dw+snb
    Edited by Yakidafi on January 19, 2018 8:11AM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Blobeso has a good build, wizard riposte + spell power on backar with 2x willpower front and pirate Skeleton.
    it's dw+snb

Meh, Sounds good but he plays solo and I do mostly as well but when I'm bored and want to do a lil zerging or 8+ man grouping I want a different style build than I normally play which would be a tank and I have nothing on my magplar rn so

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizards riposte dhuroks bane pirate skelly healer

Never tried it it myself but I'm so thinking about
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Wizards riposte dhuroks bane pirate skelly healer

Never tried it it myself but I'm so thinking about

This could work. But meh, I'd still rather be a tank. I've never played a tank build at all and want to try it.

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was using Kraganc's Hope and Dragongaurd. Turbo Rezz bot.

The issue is you have no CC so you can't hold people down. So I was just stacking mag regen and being a heal tank.

Dragongaud just has a bunch of stats I like and then you can pop your ulti more often and templar ultis give a lot of damage reduction.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »

The issue is you have no CC so you can't hold people down. So I was just stacking mag regen and being a heal tank.

Dragongaud just has a bunch of stats I like and then you can pop your ulti more often and templar ultis give a lot of damage reduction.

That's honestly what I'm wanting, A heal tank mostly. But still be able to dish out a lil dmg with proxy possibly. I know sun shield is pretty garbage now or I'd run a sun shield build but it's so meh now.

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ohhgrizyyy wrote: »

That's honestly what I'm wanting, A heal tank mostly. But still be able to dish out a lil dmg with proxy possibly. I know sun shield is pretty garbage now or I'd run a sun shield build but it's so meh now.

Oh And I am using Shadowrend monster helmet, forgot to mention it.

I am not actually using the blazing shield, its been squashed by the nerf hammer and I'd rather not stack hp to try and get damage out of it. I use the other morph, its a shield I'll use it.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

I am not actually using the blazing shield, its been squashed by the nerf hammer and I'd rather not stack hp to try and get damage out of it. I use the other morph, its a shield I'll use it.

Do you run proxy or anything?

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cause I mean yea that's practically what I'm wanting to be is a heal tank but still want to get as much debuffing and dmg as I can. Was with a warden heal tank earlier tonight and the man was actually getting some juicy proxy dets. He wasn't too tanky. Just alot of healing

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

Or hell even a build in which I can guard someone during a fight and live for a long ass time or maybe guard a healer while in a huge group fight

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mhm, I see so many if these builds in Cyrodiil but no one wants to share lmfao

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's dw+snb

Meh, Sounds good but he plays solo and I do mostly as well but when I'm bored and want to do a lil zerging or 8+ man grouping I want a different style build than I normally play which would be a tank and I have nothing on my magplar rn so

How is SPC (a necessity for trials) and Wizard's Riposte (which debuff a player for 15s) bad for group play? I mean if you want to go zerg tank meta, just load up on health and only reverb bash players.

EDIT: Heck, you could just switch Pirates for Earthgore and be set for the zerg meta.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on January 19, 2018 7:22PM
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's dw+snb

How is SPC (a necessity for trials) and Wizard's Riposte (which debuff a player for 15s) bad for group play? I mean if you want to go zerg tank meta, just load up on health and only reverb bash players.

I don't recall calling it bad? But I'd be in Light. Last time I checked Light isn't good for tankiness? 15% dmg reduction from riposte isn't gonna keep me alive while in light and me and my group are getting moshpitted by our own group size x2 or x3

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's dw+snb

I don't recall calling it bad? But I'd be in Light. Last time I checked Light isn't good for tankiness? 15% dmg reduction from riposte isn't gonna keep me alive while in light and me and my group are getting moshpitted by our own group size x2 or x3

Heavy helps but tankiness isn't defined by armor weight alone. The new tank meta is Fortified Brass, Wizard's Riposte, or Impregnable. I guess if you want to go heavy just use Impregnable or even old school Reactive and then use buff sets for the rest. It just depends how much utility you want to provide.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it's more that there are a ton of different ways to be a kinda-tanky healing templar. Sets worth considering:

Monster sets:
    Bloodspawn (super fun to run along with batswarm, if a bit old school)
    Earthgore (needs to be deleted, but may as well crutch on it while everyone else is)
    Skoria/Grothdar (if you want to chip in on damage a bit more--easier to maintain high uptime on Grothdar)
    Engine Guardian (still a really fun set, even if it's a lot less popular now)
    Malubeth

5piece sets:
    Reactive
    Kagrenacs
    Transmutation
    Wizard's Riposte
    Livewire
    Bastion of the Heartland
    Leeching Plate
    Durok's Bane
    Ebon Armory
    Plague Doctor
    Fasalla's Guile
    Mark of the Pariah
    Seducer
    ....and a bunch more options

If you are more specific about what you want to do, you'll likely get more specific advice.

Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's dw+snb

Heavy helps but tankiness isn't defined by armor weight alone. The new tank meta is Fortified Brass, Wizard's Riposte, or Impregnable. I guess if you want to go heavy just use Impregnable or even old school Reactive and then use buff sets for the rest. It just depends how much utility you want to provide.

I like the idea of running Riposte, I wanted to run riposte. I just didn't know what else would go well on a magplar. I know I could run impreg and all sturdy prolly but at the same time I would like some other heavy set that gives utility to my group. I don't know if Duroks or Fasallas would work.

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it's more that there are a ton of different ways to be a kinda-tanky healing templar. Sets worth considering:

Monster sets:
    Bloodspawn (super fun to run along with batswarm, if a bit old school)
    Earthgore (needs to be deleted, but may as well crutch on it while everyone else is)
    Skoria/Grothdar (if you want to chip in on damage a bit more--easier to maintain high uptime on Grothdar)
    Engine Guardian (still a really fun set, even if it's a lot less popular now)
    Malubeth

5piece sets:
    Reactive
    Kagrenacs
    Transmutation
    Wizard's Riposte
    Livewire
    Bastion of the Heartland
    Leeching Plate
    Durok's Bane
    Ebon Armory
    Plague Doctor
    Fasalla's Guile
    Mark of the Pariah
    Seducer
    ....and a bunch more options

If you are more specific about what you want to do, you'll likely get more specific advice.

I'm just wanting to be a support heal tank. I want to help my group but still be tanky myself. I want to be that guy that can guard someone and eat up as much dmg as possibly. Maybe throw a proxy det out for a little damage but for the most part I just want tankiness and healing. I know I want to run Riposte. I just don't know what to run with it. Monster set wise I was thinking 1 of 3. Earthgore, Blood Spawn or Troll King

• ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly I just run a 5 heavy 1 light 1 medium x5 Impregnable x5 Wizard's Riposte x2 Slimecraw with a sword and board backbar and a dual swords front bar. From there your role is to put your house down and just not die haha.

Edit: Alternatively you could run Skoria or really whatever you want, I just like that buff from Slimecraw
    Edited by ParaNostram on January 19, 2018 7:40PM
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to be that guy that can guard someone and eat up as much dmg as possibly. Maybe throw a proxy det out for a little damage but for the most part I just want tankiness and healing. I know I want to run Riposte.

IMO, start with Durok's Bane and get to 30k health or so. It's the most supportive of the heavy options and plays well with guard. If you don't feel tanky enough, think about trying something else. Bastion of the Heartland+Riposte would be real tanky, but probably more tanky than you really need to be in zerg vs zerg.
    Earthgore, Blood Spawn or Troll King

Carry Troll King and one of the other options. Put troll king on if nobody else is running it, but you don't need a bunch of troll kings in group. More than 2 in an 8-man is kinda redundant, imo, and you could probably make an argument for just 1.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 earth Gore or bloodspawn if you're broke, 5 duroks 5 fasallas. If you get focused and you survive your group can mow them down with straight ease. Defile in cp scales too well so might as well abuse it.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to be that guy that can guard someone and eat up as much dmg as possibly. Maybe throw a proxy det out for a little damage but for the most part I just want tankiness and healing. I know I want to run Riposte.

IMO, start with Durok's Bane and get to 30k health or so. It's the most supportive of the heavy options and plays well with guard. If you don't feel tanky enough, think about trying something else. Bastion of the Heartland+Riposte would be real tanky, but probably more tanky than you really need to be in zerg vs zerg.
    Earthgore, Blood Spawn or Troll King

Carry Troll King and one of the other options. Put troll king on if nobody else is running it, but you don't need a bunch of troll kings in group. More than 2 in an 8-man is kinda redundant, imo, and you could probably make an argument for just 1.

I like these.

OP could also run Frost staff; just don't put points into the passive that makes block cost mag. This way OP can run impukse for minor mangle debuff or slot ele drain for builds that refuse to run it in BGs. The frost AOE + light attacks can proc minor maim on players letting you run with duroks and another support set.

Worth a try!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna tank as your main function, make a dk... much better capabilities.