The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tank build help

BuyMe500Pugs_Please
I'm in the process of creating a tank, specifically an argonian dk. I previously played a warden tank a long time ago but eventually turned it into a dps before it hit level 50, back then i used ebon and can't remember what else. What gear before level 24 (can't do crypt of hearts until then) after and champion rank, i saw a crafted set with cwc called brass or something that gave a lot of resistances is this a good 5 piece while levelling or something else maybe?

Best Answers

• PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For leveling, you''ll want to use 5pc Hist and 4pc Alessia (Both crafted sets) You'll want sturdy trait on armor/shield and infused for weapon (defending if you're using a frost staff since you won't have a shield). I did a mix of max stam and max health enchants for armor and crusher enchant on weapons. Then just focus on keeping aggro on the boss and mitigating as much damage as possible. Don't worry about taunting EVERYTHING for trash pulls. You just need to taunt the mobs that can potentially oneshot your group. Oh and ALWAYS face the boss away from the group...ALWAYS.
    Edited by PlagueSD on January 18, 2018 7:09AM
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a nightmare so far, i just use group finder to do dungeons and almost all times there's either a dps heavy attacking with a frost staff then dieing and blaming me or a high rank pvp 500 cp in one dungeon just light attacking and every minute dropping a lethal arrow, struggling with sustain at the moment only level 13 so haven't unlocked that argonian passive yet. The hist bark set is pretty cool though

I usually respond to those frost-staff-heavy-attacking DPS with "You do realize that ice staff heavy attacks taunt the boss?"

They either apologize because it was an accident or they didn't know, and we're fine, or I tell them "You taunt it, you tank it."

As for the bad yet high CP DPS, there's no help for that. That's the part that sucks as a tank because you can stay alive but you can't carry the group through high DPS yourself.
    Answer ✓
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    Thank you, also how many attribute points into health, stamina, magicka?
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, also how many attribute points into health, stamina, magicka?

That depends on the rest of your setup. Generally you want slightly more stamina than magicka, so that spears/bubbles restore stamina. You need that for blocking. :) Can't really speak for leveling up, but for a finished tank I go for 20-22k stamina and 18-20k magicka, the rest into health. Make sure to have 25+k health and okay resistances. Should be fine for normal dungeons.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Oh and ALWAYS face the boss away from the group...ALWAYS.

Yeah, tell that to that species of DPS that likes to always weasel around in my back. ;)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Oh and ALWAYS face the boss away from the group...ALWAYS.

Yeah, tell that to that species of DPS that likes to always weasel around in my back. ;)

Hey, If DPS wants to stand behind you and eat the cleaves, that's on them. Chances are they're going to be out of healing range anyways. The healer I always run with has no problem letting stupid DPS die.

As far as attribute points, I actually split mine evenly between stam and magica with most in health since I'm playing a "hybrid" tank. I think my level 50 end build is this:

Health: 40
    Stamina: 12
    Magica: 12
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me, I leveled my Tank, and my Healers for that matter as a DPS until they got to Champ Ranks, then i geared them and specced them as a tank. It's very difficult to level a pure tank in this game, same for healers. Unless you just do group content.

As for builds and gear, I always defer to Woeler for most of my inspiration and ideas (with slight tweaks as I do all my builds)

https://woeler.eu/
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    It's been a nightmare so far, i just use group finder to do dungeons and almost all times there's either a dps heavy attacking with a frost staff then dieing and blaming me or a high rank pvp 500 cp in one dungeon just light attacking and every minute dropping a lethal arrow, struggling with sustain at the moment only level 13 so haven't unlocked that argonian passive yet. The hist bark set is pretty cool though
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭

I don't belong to a guild nor do I pug much. That leaves me with normal non-DLC dungeons for me to solo in order to level undaunted. I picked up a pledge for Banished Cells 2 the day before and realised I couldn't tank Keeper Imiril's adds due to low dps. So I used a dungeon finder to get some assistance. It was an OK experience mostly. Wiped once at High Kinlord Rilis because some of us forgotten how to nullify the curse. Even as a tank, I contributed to nearly 25% DPS. The group didn't break, no complains, no screams.