The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should ESO have weapons & Armor furnishings?

• shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, to be honest it is really strange not having this in the game already.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Eremith wrote: »
    Eremith wrote: »
    Though I would be glad to see this feature in the game, I think I understand why there no response from ZOS and this isn't implemented yet.
    The answer is: it's not that easy for ZOS to do this.

Some people in this thread said they don't understand why we have corpses and ballistas but don't have weapon/armor racks/mannequins. Well, I am not a professional, but programming is my hobbie, so I aknowledged a bit how this things are working. See, it's quite easy to make the asset, and it's very easy to add the asset into already completed and compatible system such as Homestead. This system is designed to work with simple assets, and some not that simple (interactable furnishings, target skeletons). Even such 'advanced' things as interactable furnishings and skeletons are still quite simple. They are just animated, and skeleton has a basic AI entity behaviour, which allows us to interact with it as we do with other AI entities.

But weapon/armor needs a lot more workarounds. The entirely new sub-system has to be implemented into Homestead system for those.

Let's look at the housing storage. Yes, it looks like ZOS really has done something new to their Homestead system, but the truth is they didn't. Housing storage is a sub-system of the Bank system actually. Those chests are just additional cells in your bank. The bank and chests look separated, but they are just different 'tabs', devided with some tags in the game code, so you only can see bank tagged stuff in bank and chests tagged stuff in chests. The evidence for this theory is bank management addons. Particularly, BankManagerRevived addon (which allows you to store/withdraw stuff in/from your bank automatically) does store the stuff into your bank when you interact with the chests.

'Offtop: It was made with 'the easier and faster the better' buisness mindset. I don't like it, but this is how IT industry works these days.'

So, they did this with bank system, why they don't do the same with inventory system so we could use our weapon/armor as furnishing?
    Because they have to do a lot more in this case. They need to somehow connect your bank and inventory info with the housing (not that hard part though, but still), and they have to visualize items (a lot of work here). They can't just somehow turn your armor assets into the furnishing assets with the click on a magic button. They have to determine how exactly these furnishings will be instanced, how to set access modifiers for them, how to transfer character appearance system into the housing system so we could put our armor on the armor mannequin, and a lot of other things. Really, it's a lot of work. A lot.

And don't forget their managers, headquarters, investors have to be sure that this work will bring some earnings back, otherwise they would better do something easier and faster: new houses, new simple furnishings... Hell, even new DLCs are not that hard to make, compared to new systems, modified systems in the project which wasn't designed to have such systems.

They know we want this feature. You can be sure. They do.
    They just can't say 'hey guys, we know, and we are going to do this, we're working on it'. They might be thinking about it, they might be trying to do something right now, but they just can't promise anything right now.

As I said, it's a lot of work. And a lot of money/hours.

You say it isn’t easy, yet I have factual evidence that it is quite the contrary: they already have them in game holding weapons and armor, go to daggerfall or stormhold look to the weapon vendors
    As for workarounds again, these things already exist! They only need to check a box to allow them as furnishings.

Those are not functional. As I said, it's quite easy to make an asset, a 3D model. The thing is it's not enough, unless you just want to have a simple mannequin asset with premade armor set attached to it.
    Or maybe you want your armor to be housing assets and you want to place them on the mannequin manually as you do with dishes and candles placing them on a table. In this case they would simply make furniture clones of actual armor items. Because they won't make your actual armor to be droppable items. It seems that the game has not such a feature, our gear items are not actual objects, so they need to make new objects (furniture objects) for every armor item.

However, me personally won't be satisfied with this kind of solution.
    I see the armor mannequin as a functional interactable object which has an intetface similar to bank/chest, but has limited and separated slots for every peace of the gear set. You 'open' the mannequin, put some armor items into it, so you can put one chest, legs, hands, head, etc. and voila - the mannequin is wearing these armor pieces. Not just their furniture clones, but actual armor items, which are getting transfered from your inventory to the mannequin inventory.

At what point did I say they had to be functional? In fact I’m pretty sure I have a post in here saying that I would take non-functional. May not be ideal but as they already exist.

Either way, still fail to see why ZoS don’t just give a simple “probably won’t happen because...” or “cool we’ll pass this idea on to whoever the next person is” - neither comment says a straight up yes or no just points us in a direction of how likely.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely!!!
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    A mannequin that actually stores / wears up to a full set of gear would be the best.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 1, 2019 9:58PM
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Hmm 🤔 I’ve seen many old threads arise from the dead before, never thought any of mine would be reanimated...
    If it’s what the people want zenimax - 200+ votes in favour but still no response from ZoS, again it doesn’t have to be a yes or no could just be a simple “cool idea” and leave it at that.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Just a thought but anyone who uses addons the essential housing tools have fxs which some are weapon and armor racks and individual weapon fxs that can be placed and colors edited and because they fxs they don’t take slots

pcg3s48rwwxf.png
    rhdh6d0xd1zf.png
    Edited by Krainor1974 on October 2, 2019 1:23PM
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I would like to see mannequins and weapon racks like those in Skyrim (and bookshelves, since I'm asking) that could serve as both storage and display. I'm not really interested in having non-functional weapons or armor just for decoration. I have enough crap lying around my houses already.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • DrFuzzyFish
    DrFuzzyFish
    ✭✭
    Maybe
    I would really like this but I also don't want to pay an excessive amount for it and I honestly think that anything of a cosmetic nature they hike the prices up.
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well those are effects from the addon:
    https://m.youtube.com it’s a way to have animals , live stock, npc’s , even some npc you can have texts to read as if they speaking and tons of other effects such as weather , skies etc.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6371888#Comment_6371888
    Edited by Krainor1974 on October 2, 2019 2:34PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Hmm 🤔 I’ve seen many old threads arise from the dead before, never thought any of mine would be reanimated...
    If it’s what the people want zenimax - 200+ votes in favour but still no response from ZoS, again it doesn’t have to be a yes or no could just be a simple “cool idea” and leave it at that.

Well, I found the link in another thread and necroed it as a reminder to ZOS that there are many people who would love to be able to either display actual weapons or at least have weapon furnishings! Of course there are many things that I would like to see added, but having no way to place weapons / weapon furnishings in our homes at all seems to me one of the larger gaps.
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would like to see mannequins and weapon racks like those in Skyrim (and bookshelves, since I'm asking) that could serve as both storage and display. I'm not really interested in having non-functional weapons or armor just for decoration. I have enough crap lying around my houses already.

Understandable, but I think others like myself should have the option for placable non-functional items due to the fact it would allow for more creativity, can’t really create the remains of a battlefield if the swords come attached to boards and stuff.
    ..Hmm how about options for both? Like non-functional items but then like storage racks and mannequins that act kind of like storage boxes?
    ErinM31 wrote: »

Well, I found the link in another thread and necroed it as a reminder to ZOS that there are many people who would love to be able to either display actual weapons or at least have weapon furnishings! Of course there are many things that I would like to see added, but having no way to place weapons / weapon furnishings in our homes at all seems to me one of the larger gaps.

Fair enough, as I said earlier: if it’s what the people want 🙂

Maybe the resurgence in these old threads might draw ZoS to actually visit this part of the forums... I hope anyway 😕
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe
    maybe. Honestly I think it'd be even cooler to see that weapon in the hands of one of my alts as a furnishing, but maybe that's just me.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe
    ._.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Not sure why ZOS ignores this request.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If you can crate the weapon with a motif, you should be able to make a furniture version of it and place it.

totally YES!
  • karlholderb14a_ESO
    Yes
    Strange that we have working practice target dummies but no decorations to set up a training area, like decorative weapons and armor.

Irrelevant but must say: In SWG in ancient times we could place anything we found anywhere in the world anywhere in our houses. This led to players building amazing things, like the Empire State Building with King Kong on it, or a Player Piano, or a full Museum. It would be great to have more flexibility placing items that are already in game. People get crazy creative with that stuff.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in January 2018. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.