The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mad Tinkerer: Worth the comedy?

Dapper Dinosaur
Dapper Dinosaur
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm in the mood to put some more work into my sorcerer character after a long period of not using him, and I'm sitting on a bit of a conundrum. I already have all the pieces I need to get him 5 piece necropotence and backbar 5-piece proc moondancer for group content. My issue is I have 3 options for him for content where I can't depend on other people for synergies:

1. Just leave him with the moondancer setup anyway
2. Give him 5 piece mad tinkerer for backbar and enjoy the decent damage and lots of comedy when it procs
3. Give him netch's touch or even some other 5-piece proc set

I don't know what the best way to go here would be. I have no Maelstrom weapons (one of the reasons I want to get this character as strong as I can so I can use him to maybe start getting some), so these are my best options. I really really want to put Mad Tinkerer on him (I'm a sucker for pets and already love the volcanic rune for the similar launching effect) but I've heard from just about everywhere that set is horrible, which is supported by the fact I've never seen anyone use it.

Another reason I want to give mad tinkerer a go is because I already have both an inferno and lightning staff for it, and I can put a shock/flame glyph on whichever one I run with. I don't know which one to use though for a magicka sorc. Do I figure it out myself based on how many aoe vs single-target skills I use or is there an established choice?
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t know about “established” but my husband started running this as a second set with a lightning staff on a warden and had so much fun running down mobs in dungeons and dolmens that I slotted it on one of my characters to try too. I can verify it is fun, and the pieces are easy to find.

If you’re not trying to do hard vet mode dungeons or trials with it, it doesn’t matter that it’s not considered the best set out there. Have fun!
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a golded mad tinkerer set. its for my clockwork mage. i run netch and tinkerer with 1pc monster set.i have like 200 less spell damage then when i run netch and julianos.

i use tinker for overworld and juli for the hard stuff. its a super fun set.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went ahead and spent about 13k to get the two purple rings and the belt I needed to complete the 5 pieces, and it didn't even dawn on me that the fabricant does the "Sonicroll" attack, I thought it would just charge like Clannfears used to.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of fun with this set. It's a great back bar offensive set.

Fairly sure daedric prey buffs the attack too.

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I figured too. I'm using it by throwing my liquid lightning and blockade (and any frags that pop) on my necro bar and then flipping and casting the critical surge, daedric prey, and boundless storm on my tinkerer bar. Then by the time I flip back to my main bar and cast my stuff again, the tinkerer proc is ready to go again. So far it's proccing fairly reliably. On my target dummy I only got 12.5k DPS solo though, so I clearly have a lot of transmuting, skill leveling, and gear-golding to do before I start seeing respectable numbers. I hope being an argonian isn't screwing me before I even begin.
  • Jarikku
    Jarikku
    Soul Shriven
    I've been using 5 pc Mad Tinkerer's, 3 pc Willpower and 2pc Grothdarr on my Magplar. The set is ridiculously fun. With Grothdarr and all the other AOE that I do it procs constantly. It's very satisfying to watching the entire mobs in front of me go flying backwards....again and again.

I use this set for PVE, open world, WB, dungeon farming etc.. I would never use this in Trials or 4 mans. But for general overall PVE play it a winner in my book.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not that good damage wise.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 maw of infernal
    5 Juli
    5 tinkerer

2 pets - vol fam and twillight matriarch
    2 proc pets - daedroth and tink claan

Surge, boundless, ward
    familiar, LL, blockade, lightning heavy x 2 - Repeat
    20k on dummy, much more on groups
    Why kill one when you can kill them all...

Line up the tinkerer proc to collect the most adds in the line. Laff when that one archer way in the back flies up in the air. Like a bowling mini game.

Giggle as the daedroth runs around flame breath melting the last of the little ones, then stands there like "got any more?"

Be your own 4 man.

Good times.
    Edited by jarydf on January 22, 2018 10:36AM
  • Jarikku
    Jarikku
    Soul Shriven
    Seems pretty good to me. 1800ish spell Crit, 130ish Spell damage plus the 11K stun / shock / knockback the fabricant does every 10 seconds (and it seems like it's proc'ing every 10 sec). It's a great set to use going solo in the PVE. Maybe it's not meta, but it performs excellent for me and most importantly is a fun set.
  • lishybach
    lishybach
    ✭✭
    I use Mad Tinkerers set on my sorcerer ever since I was able to complete the quests for the items when Clockwork City was launched. I’ve used that set in normal trials/dungeons with Infernal Guardian monster set and Arch-Mage jewelry. I don’t have my exact stats. But it got me through normal trials so I was quite impressed with that. And not to mention the ability to stun is pretty helpful too when there’s a lot of adds. I’ve switched between Julianos and Magnus, and although that set gives me more magicka, The Mad Tinkerer’s set is just so much more fun to me. I get pleasure seeing all the adds fly through the air lol so I enjoy it lol.
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    I literally picked up the jewelry for this set on bargain this weekend as a placehodler until I get all my Spellweave jewelry drops, and grabbed two other pieces of armor, and man were we losing it all weekend.

Not only is the fabricant one of the coolest models in game imo, when mobs go FLYING into the air it is just the funniest thing ive experienced. This set is awesome.
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to let you guys know, you can also get the explosion effect on enemies by using the Volcanic Rune, a morph of Fire Rune in the Mage's Guild skill line.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder of this set, it's a blast on my new magblade. It seems like this set could potentially be used as part of a 5/5/2 setup, where the back bar is one set that reliably procs on a lengthy cooldown and the front bar is another.

As far as I can tell there's burning spellweave, flame blossom, mechanical acuity, and I haven't come across much else on live that could efficiently work for the other weapon bar of a 5/5/2 setup. The up-coming Caluurion's legacy looks like a good option.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not inject some comedy in your ESO routine. I'm running the Unfathomable Darkness set on my warden just for the crows lol. :D
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder of this set, it's a blast on my new magblade. It seems like this set could potentially be used as part of a 5/5/2 setup, where the back bar is one set that reliably procs on a lengthy cooldown and the front bar is another.

As far as I can tell there's burning spellweave, flame blossom, mechanical acuity, and I haven't come across much else on live that could efficiently work for the other weapon bar of a 5/5/2 setup. The up-coming Caluurion's legacy looks like a good option.

That's what I've been doing for a long time. Moondancer is an excellent candidate for it due to it only needing to be refreshed every 30 seconds, but of course you have to be running dungeons/trials or other group activities where synergies will be consistently available. The Mad Tinkerer set is my alternative for when I won't have access to synergies because it gives my sorc fairly easy access to an AoE stun other than the mines.
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Mad Tinkerer + Bahraha's Curse for fun, fabricant replace me cryshards stun and my clannfear pet, it awesome to see how fabricant over group of enemies, and they just have no time to get out of AOE from elemental blockade, Ilambris proc and liquid lightning, snare from Bahraha's Curse help as well.
    Edited by Konstant_Tel_Necris on January 29, 2018 5:22AM
  • Timeoin
    Timeoin
    ✭✭
    Its DEFINITELY worth it.

Run it with Julianos/your choice of bars.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am running 5 mad tinkerers and 5 netches touch. I run with the familiar with the aoe morph. I use 1 Illambris for the shoulders and I keep the Illambis helm in inventory to swap the set out by replacing the helm.

So far (and I will admit I am a total noob) I pull more damage with the mad tinkerers/netch 5 pieces sets, than I do with 5 netch, 2 illambris and 4 mad tinkerers. I don't have any maelstrom and run mostly vet dungeons.

I love the mad tinkerers set. It would be nice if the AI was better and it would track enemies or something but overall I enjoy it.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only 1 who saw the word “tinkle-er” in the title? No? Okay. Lol.

Anyway OP, just combine it with something like Julianos as others have said.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there a full "Monsters inc." set-up for a stamina build?

Maw of the infernal+ Defiler...+..?
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a full "Monsters inc." set-up for a stamina build?

Maw of the infernal+ Defiler...+..?

+
    Morkuldin
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they need to make the fabricant ethereal or something. I noticed last night it hits and stops on any brush or environmental item. Also i saw it hit and stop on the ice spikes that winters revenge makes.

one thing i dont think people mention is it actually can save your or your teams but because when the mobs go flying, they aren't attacking. Many times its given me time to heal when i am alone in a dungeon.
    Edited by xbobx on February 5, 2018 1:22PM
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing i dont think people mention is it actually can save your or your teams but because when the mobs go flying, they aren't attacking. Many times its given me time to heal when i am alone in a dungeon.

I thought it didn't need to be mentioned, as that disable is the entire point of running the 5 piece.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on June 23, 2018 10:00PM
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

DragonKnight - Tank - build = max CP. With my CP distribution, I just pop on a different set of armor for solo questing and normal overland content.

Recently switched into this build:

Storm Fist monster helm set

Thunderbug armor (can buy on vendors or farm in zone)

Mad Tinkerer weapons/jewelry (can buy on vendors or farm in zone)

This combo is super fun. Love the explosive crackle and pop of the electric procs and when the Tinkerer procs... all the enemies fly up in the air in a line... so fun to see this.

I normally don't see the little tinkerer spawn.. I just see the mobs in a line start popping up. Every time it puts a smile on the face.

All the mobs die fast too.

Don;t listen to the complainers. Give it a try. Lots of fun!

• Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarydf wrote: »
    2 maw of infernal
    5 Juli
    5 tinkerer

2 pets - vol fam and twillight matriarch
    2 proc pets - daedroth and tink claan

Surge, boundless, ward
    familiar, LL, blockade, lightning heavy x 2 - Repeat
    20k on dummy, much more on groups
    Why kill one when you can kill them all...

Line up the tinkerer proc to collect the most adds in the line. Laff when that one archer way in the back flies up in the air. Like a bowling mini game.

Giggle as the daedroth runs around flame breath melting the last of the little ones, then stands there like "got any more?"

Be your own 4 man.

Good times.

This seems like really fun, I am going to try this out!
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.