Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is there anything to do that actually matters?

Xaretic
Xaretic
Hey guys, got a question. I looked up a build for my character and went and got the gear recommended, most of which was overland stuff, then I got lucky and got the undaunted pieces.

So now I started to delve in the dungeons but every time a piece of gear dropped everyone in group said it was no good, that I already have best in slot. I said how can this be I just started dungeons with the undaunted, so now I'm not sure what to do, if I have best in slot than dungeons are just to watch the boss fall over? there must be more loot to gain.

I asked about trials but I was told again I have best in slot and that some gear might be a little better but not by a huge amount and won't make a big difference....is this true?

I am kinda old school, started in Ultima and Everquest, so I am use to a forward progression and the wonderful feeling of omg it dropped and I now have an item 20% better than the last one. Does this game have any of that?

I guess I just don't know what to do next that makes a huge difference....
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would need more information on your build and what type of character you have to figure out what content would drop gear to improve it.
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes things such as achievements, skins, titles, master weapons, maelstrom weapons, and the satisfaction you get from completing the hardest content are all what I would consider progression. It's about perspective and growing your e-peen.
    Edited by jlboozer on January 12, 2018 3:31PM
  • Xaretic
    Xaretic
    jlboozer wrote: »
    Yes things such as achievements, skins, titles, master weapons, maelstrom weapons, and the satisfaction you get from completing the hardest content are all what I would consider progression. It's about perspective and growing your e-peen.

Oh OK....so it is more role playing oriented, makes sense.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your build, class, character. I run a Stam NB, crafted set are BiS for my build. Some monster set can have some benefit but for the most part Hundings/Night Mothers are pretty good. It really depends on your build. Healers BiS comes from dungeons, Tank BiS is a combination of drops and crafted. PVP can be a number of different things. My Mag Sorc runs 5/5, crafted and dungeon. Weapons can complete builds, most of which are end game HM drops, it really depends. So what are you running?
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunt down Achievements, do some crafting (and improve your gear to gold), get all the mob drop Collectibles, complete all the quests/Dolmens/Delves/exploration, try out a new spec or class, get into PVP/Battlegrounds.

As it stands, the only way to make BiS gear better is to improve it through crafting, enchanting and making sure you have the best traits. ESO is fairly static when it comes to gear.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is this thing called the Meta. How it starts is some theorycrafter or streamer tests a build that they do and find the gear that is optimized for that build. Now, when I say optimized, this means it is a whole 1% better in some cases than some other combo.

Thing is, this Meta that a lot of people worship and declare is the only way to play the game does not apply to all builds nor all playstyles and certainly not all players. And, the existence of the Meta does not mean that other builds are crap either. A recent thread showed that there were at least 20 different ways to get to 95% to 99% of the potential maximum of the BIS.

Now, that being said, there are a number of dungeon sets that are just questionable as to their usefullness. There are also a number of sets that are great for some kind of build and approach to the game. Then there are gear sets that are just good and powerful for some builds, but those change from update to update.

So, long story short, the best build is the one that works for you, with the gear you can acquire, and the rotation you can make the most sense with.

Finally, unless your chasing the top spots in the leaderboards for Trials, none of this matters. You can make any build work for any content except for some Vet Dungeons with DPS checks and Trials, especially Vet Trials. For those dungeons and trials, there are several ways to make that work, the "Meta" is just one of them. You do want to be efficient and effective at the game, and there are builds out there that are just flat out not going to work, but those are really rare and quite obvious at first glance.

Edited by Nestor on January 12, 2018 3:45PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xaretic wrote: »
    Hey guys, got a question. I looked up a build for my character and went and got the gear recommended, most of which was overland stuff, then I got lucky and got the undaunted pieces.

So now I started to delve in the dungeons but every time a piece of gear dropped everyone in group said it was no good, that I already have best in slot. I said how can this be I just started dungeons with the undaunted, so now I'm not sure what to do, if I have best in slot than dungeons are just to watch the boss fall over? there must be more loot to gain.

I asked about trials but I was told again I have best in slot and that some gear might be a little better but not by a huge amount and won't make a big difference....is this true?

I am kinda old school, started in Ultima and Everquest, so I am use to a forward progression and the wonderful feeling of omg it dropped and I now have an item 20% better than the last one. Does this game have any of that?

Yeah unfortunatelly there isn't too much in terms of gear progression in the game. Apparently majority of players like it this way, i can't understand why.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achievements.

Completing ALL the quests in the 3 alliance zones.

Getting all the skyshards. All the lore books.

Master angler.

Honing your skill to get the rarest achievements. Currently, on Xbox that rarest achievement of all is Cooling Your Heels - complete bloodroot forge on veteran difficulty without EVER touching ANY of the molten lava in the sanguinary veins.

It’s odd to think that more people have earned Master Fisher than have managed to keep their toes out of the lava, but there it is.
    Xbox NA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh OK....so it is more role playing oriented, makes sense.

Its not so much that, although it is part of it. ZOS wants Gear and Build diversity and people approaching the game in different ways. They do try to balance all the aspects of the game so that people don't have to find the "one way" to play and adhere to that. They don't always hit the mark, but they get close.

Oh, if you want to all of sudden be 20% better, look to your Rotations and how you Animation cancel for that upgrade.

Edited by Nestor on January 12, 2018 3:49PM

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do the veteran Maelstorm Arena if you have the Orsinium DLC. You can research interesting gear and come up with builds to make it work. Broaden your horizon by trying pvp, which has a completely different set of BiS gear. Get a house and fill it. Farm motifs like Mazzatun, Silken Ring, Bloodforged and Dreadhorn for gold or your own crafter.
    This game is full of activities and now that you have BiS gear you can join every activity and nothing is out of your reach anymore!
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Xaretic
    Xaretic
    Nestor wrote: »
    There is this thing called the Meta. How it starts is some theorycrafter or streamer tests a build that they do and find the gear that is optimized for that build. Now, when I say optimized, this means it is a whole 1% better in some cases than some other combo.

Thing is, this Meta that a lot of people worship and declare is the only way to play the game does not apply to all builds nor all playstyles and certainly not all players. And, the existence of the Meta does not mean that other builds are crap either. A recent thread showed that there were at least 20 different ways to get to 95% to 99% of the potential maximum of the BIS.

Now, that being said, there are a number of dungeon sets that are just questionable as to their usefullness. There are also a number of sets that are great for some kind of build and approach to the game. Then there are gear sets that are just good and powerful for some builds, but those change from update to update.

So, long story short, the best build is the one that works for you, with the gear you can acquire, and the rotation you can make the most sense with.

Finally, unless your chasing the top spots in the leaderboards for Trials, none of this matters. You can make any build work for any content except for some Vet Dungeons with DPS checks and Trials, especially Vet Trials. For those dungeons and trials, there are several ways to make that work, the "Meta" is just one of them. You do want to be efficient and effective at the game, and there are builds out there that are just flat out not going to work, but those are really rare and quite obvious at first glance.

I guess I come games like Everquest where you need certain gear to beat the next dungeon or raid and then in that dungeon or raid you find gear 10 or 20% better, then you are able to beat the next. There is a clear path, no meta, it is so far superior to what you have on the choice is clear.
    Edited by Xaretic on January 12, 2018 3:54PM
  • Xaretic
    Xaretic
    Nyladreas wrote: »

Yeah unfortunatelly there isn't too much in terms of gear progression in the game. Apparently majority of players like it this way, i can't understand why.

Yea it creates meta which another poster was talking about.....never been a fan of that because you are tweaking in 1, 2 or 3 % margins to feel good about all the work you did for that gear. I like the OMG it dropped feeling.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

Yea it creates meta which another poster was talking about.....never been a fan of that because you are tweaking in 1, 2 or 3 % margins to feel good about all the work you did for that gear. I like the OMG it dropped feeling.

Exactly. Not to mention zos has a perfect system in place already for gearscaling.
    Especially now that we got transmutation I don't see why it can't be a thing.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I come games like Everquest where you need certain gear to beat the next dungeon or raid and then in that dungeon or raid you find gear 10 or 20% better, then you are able to beat the next. There is a clear path, no meta, it is so far superior to what you have the choice is clear.

ZOS has a concept that became fully vested with One Tamriel that there are no barriers to playing with your friends. You can be a CP Cap player with all the goodies, and talk your friend into playing the game. They can run most content with you just out of the wailing prison, and there are no inherent arbitrary restrictions on that. True, you might have to craft them a set or help them farm a set to get some power for some of the content, but they don't need all the good stuff to play the game right out the gate. And ZOS does have the DLC dungeons and trials that are not forgiving to poor build choices and for sure bad skill rotations.

Is it better or worse than other systems? Not sure, but I myself would not like a constant gear chase. I would rather be able to just play the content, and then do what I need to do with my rotations to get better. Also, this is not a leveled game, it is a scaled game, so everyone has a level or at least slightly tilted playing field.

• Partomax
    Partomax
    ✭✭✭
    Most gear is pretty easy to get. The hard ones are master, maelstrom some monster sets (not really hard just annoying) and I guess moondancer jewelry .

anyways this game is about giting gud boi
    PC/EU - This is a signature
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    How have people not given the real answer? It is a video game. Not a single thing you do here really matters. :)

To be honest, getting the gear isn't (as far as I can tell) nearly as challenging as actually being able to use that gear and your character to full effect. Mastering (or as close as you can manage) the character/build as the game changes seems to be more of a challenge to me.