The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Educated Goblin.

Jaraal
Jaraal
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Something I noticed while fighting a group of goblins in Vvardenfell.

During the battle, I hear something along the lines of "Rabarabbarrrarhh glarbbrhar hrabarabararr," immediately followed by (in a precise American accent) "Move to flank!" And then one goblin tries to get in behind me to attack.

My questions are:

1) Where did the educated goblin learn to speak English? The College of Winterhold, perhaps? He seemed to have a reasonable grasp of magical knowledge, so this is a possibility.

2) At least one other goblin understands English commands, so why does he not also speak English? Goblinese seems somewhat crude, although I'm sure there are linguistical nuances that they know that I'm not aware of.
RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was the Goblin Master hiding in the bushes telling his Goblin Minions how to fight.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• elias.stormneb18_ESO
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Something I noticed while fighting a group of goblins in Vvardenfell.

During the battle, I hear something along the lines of "Rabarabbarrrarhh glarbbrhar hrabarabararr," immediately followed by (in a precise American accent) "Move to flank!" And then one goblin tries to get in behind me to attack.

My questions are:

1) Where did the educated goblin learn to speak English? The College of Winterhold, perhaps? He seemed to have a reasonable grasp of magical knowledge, so this is a possibility.

2) At least one other goblin understands English commands, so why does he not also speak English? Goblinese seems somewhat crude, although I'm sure there are linguistical nuances that they know that I'm not aware of.

While what you encountered was obviously a bug, there are a few Cyrodiilic (English) speaking goblins in the game. One of them learned it from being a slave in an Altmeri household. If educated properly, any goblin could probably learn Cyrodiilic. Also, understanding a language is not the same as being able to speak it. You may learn how to read and understand a language, but if you never learn how to speak it properly you will have a hard time communicating vocally using it.
    Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on January 11, 2018 10:16PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    That was the Goblin Master hiding in the bushes telling his Goblin Minions how to fight.

An interesting possibility. And, if he's smart enough to learn English as well as avoid combat, then he may have also been wise enough to remove that Buoyant Armiger motif from the treasure chest before I got there. This could explain a lot of things!

While what you encountered was obviously a bug, there are a few Cyrodiilic (English) speaking goblins in the game. One of them learned it from being a slave in an Altmeri household. If educated properly, any goblin could probably learn Cyrodiilic. Also, understanding a language is not the same as being able to speak it. You may learn how to read and understand a language, but if you never learn how to speak it properly you will have a hard time communicating vocally using it.

Sounds reasonable.

I believe the next time I encounter a group of goblins, I shall ask them, "Cyrodiilic, milk drinker! Do you speak it!?" And then have a bite of their tasty horker burger before slaying them all.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was the same Goblin I saw earlier today, riding on a Dwemer construct, thinking on the meaning of life and the solution to all problems in the world
    tr__Rcu5TWadB91F7Yqytw.png
    yydktlEFTsewoM7AWwK2Kw.png
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    There's a quest I did that turned me into a goblin so it might just be a human turned to goblin by a shaman it something
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.