Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Trading Guilds question

LillyMorgana
Sorry to be such the noob! But I learn best by asking questions, and you all are SO helpful. Someday I'll be up here answering questions for others!

Anyway, I was looking for a guild to join, and so many of them are trader's guilds and require a fee to join/stay. The fees are in the $10,000 to $20,000 range, or so it seems. I've been playing for about a week and have maybe $1,000. How do players make enough to be able to pay a $10,000 fee?? Am i missing something? Also, if you're a friendly group who doesn't mind helping a noob, let me know! :)
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    It is not that hard to make gold in this game and 10k is nothing for some, a few ways you can do it are:
    1. Stealing
    2. Farming gear
    3. Gathering flowers and sell them
    These are just a few of many that are around, also there are trading guilds that does not require you to pay any fee, beside listings items for sell so you wont be idle.

Also, if you don't have horse yet, gather 11k to buy it, you will need it.
    If you're new and I assume so, your best bet is to find trading guild without fees and learn forward from there about trading and making gold. I hope I was helpful. :)
    Edited by Kiara on January 10, 2018 10:16PM
  • LillyMorgana
    Yes, thank you so much. Yes, I have been wanting a horse. Are the mounts that you can get at the crown store any good? Otherwise, I guess I'll start farming for that first! LOL
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter at all besides cosmetics since you can upgrade your mount at stables in-game (applies to character, so if you change your mount you will still have upgrades). Of course you can go easy way and grab mount from crown store if you wish, horse at stables is around 11k if I remember correctly. Take things slowly since there is a lot to learn in this game. If you are Pc EU and feel a bit lost you can add me in-game if you need more precise help, @Kiara.Callinan
    Edited by Kiara on January 10, 2018 10:30PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealing indeed is a very nice way to make early money. If you have the Orsinium DLC, there's a place in the castle guard barracks with lots of unguarded containers that you can loot. Also the castle in Wayrest is a good place. You can make 3-4k per round. Re-login to have containers be restocked.

Concerning horse: With the next patch, the game will get a "level up advisory" system, which also gives you some useful items as you level up. Among those is - at level 10 - you get the sorrel horse for free.

I don't know if it's retroactive. So if you're already past level 10 now, when the next patch hits, you can make another char and level them to 10. Mounts are account-wide, so once one of your chars gets a mount, they all can use it.

EDIT: Also note that all the mounts are identical in terms of "performance". The difference between all mounts is purely cosmetic. Leveling up horses is character-bound and applies to all mounts.
    Edited by Loc2262 on January 10, 2018 10:32PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you wouldn't want to join a trading guild that has a 10k minimum trades requirement or fee at low levels. Those guilds are for endgame players that have hundred of thousands to millions of gold.

Don't worry, like Kiara said, making money in this game is easy and happens almost automatically. It'll just take a while at the beginning. Once you reach a "critical mass", and especially reach level CP160 so you loot max level gear, you can sell all that stuff in guild stores yourself.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    Also, you wouldn't want to join a trading guild that has a 10k minimum trades requirement or fee at low levels. Those guilds are for endgame players that have hundred of thousands to millions of gold.

Don't worry, like Kiara said, making money in this game is easy and happens almost automatically. It'll just take a while at the beginning. Once you reach a "critical mass", and especially reach level CP160 so you loot max level gear, you can sell all that stuff in guild stores yourself.
    This, you did not say platform, 10-20K sold is pretty reasonable for high end trade guilds,
    lots of the DLC dailies give rewards worth 5K or more and as you say you can farm expensive gear.
    On console donations is more common as its harder to keep track of sales without addon.

Stealing from containers is an nice way to get easy gold and you rather want an friendly guild, getting free crafted sets is nice :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • LillyMorgana
    I'm in the US on Playstation, but thanks for the offer!

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips!
    Edited by LillyMorgana on January 10, 2018 11:20PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Legerdemain is a great way to earn gold for various things. Guild Traders are nice, but really not required to make gold in this game. Nor is having a kiosk in an expensive main location. In fact, unless your flush with stuff a CP160 can use, your not going to make much money through a kiosk, no matter where it is located.

However just know there are two kinds of trading guilds, ones that are focused on commerce and compete for the best spots in the game, and other more Social Guilds that get out of the way traders that don't cost so much. I am in both, and as long as I am listing things people want, I sell most everything I list. Of course the prices at the out of the way kiosks are set lower than the main trading markets.

So, if you want to avoid those fees and still want a trader, seek those out who have out of the way kiosks. I am in two Social Guilds that get Kiosks most every week. I am in a third Social Guild that got a Kiosk each week, but their GM has been AWOL for more than two months. And I am in a guild that has a trader in about the best location in the game, but that costs me a lot of gold each week, but I make it back in one day.

Circling back to Legerdemain, if you spend 20 minutes a day on a good route, you can earn as much gold as the typical player who plays the game and just sheds excess inventory through the kiosks. As contrasted by those players who play the game to make gold and buy low and sell high and farm for stuff to sell.

And, I made my first 2 Million without a trading kiosk. And this was back before Legerdemain so no stealing and fencing.
    Edited by Nestor on January 10, 2018 11:36PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking to join a guild in general, or specifically a trading guild?

There are certainly trading guilds that are "newbie friendly", accept low-level players and don't ask for a fee. Thing is, to afford a guild trader in a prominent location, i.e. to enable good sales, the guild has to pay TONS of money (I heard around 10 million for prime spots like Craglorn), and that's PER WEEK. That's why endgame trading guilds have to require such fees from their members.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thank you so much. Yes, I have been wanting a horse. Are the mounts that you can get at the crown store any good? Otherwise, I guess I'll start farming for that first! LOL

Until the next update hits, you can buy a horse for 10,000 Gold. And, its just as good as any other mount out there. There are a couple of Crown Mounts that are 400 Crowns (or used to be, have not shopped for them in a while), which is like 4 Bucks real money.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LillyMorgana
    Yes, I am looking to join a guild. Trading seems to be what's mostly available unless you're veteran, which I'm sure I'm not! Lol

What is ledgerman?
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, no, trading is by far not everything you can do at non-vet levels. :) There's questing, normal dungeons, exploration, crafting, fishing, decorating houses, and generally just being social. :)

Legerdemain is the skill line that includes lockpicking and pickpocketing. Speaking of that, yeah, stealing stuff from containers is a great way to level up Legerdemain, since selling stuff to fences increases that skill. The skill line is unlocked as soon as you pick the lock on your first chest, or pickpocket an NPC.

Should you ever want to do the Thieves Guild DLC, having Legerdemain leveled up in advance helps a lot. ;) It also helps in certain situations to be able to pick a lock really quickly, e.g. the Adjudicator fight in the White-Gold Tower dungeon, where you get locked into a cell as a combat mechanic and have to pick its lock (or die due to DOT if not healed ;) ).
    Edited by Loc2262 on January 10, 2018 11:29PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the guild types Nestor listed, there's also those that focus on end-game stuff like raiding and arena score runs. Then there's also roleplaying guilds. And many guilds are actually a mix of different types.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    Oh, no, trading is by far not everything you can do at non-vet levels. :) There's questing, normal dungeons, exploration, crafting, fishing, decorating houses, and generally just being social. :)

Legerdemain is the skill line that includes lockpicking and pickpocketing. Speaking of that, yeah, stealing stuff from containers is a great way to level up Legerdemain, since selling stuff to fences increases that skill. The skill line is unlocked as soon as you pick the lock on your first chest, or pickpocket an NPC.

Should you ever want to do the Thieves Guild DLC, having Legerdemain leveled up in advance helps a lot. ;) It also helps in certain situations to be able to pick a lock really quickly, e.g. the Adjudicator fight in the White-Gold Tower dungeon, where you get locked into a cell as a combat mechanic and have to pick its lock (or die due to DOT if not healed ;) ).

Small tip to this, you can sell and launder any stolen goods you put your hands on, if you want to level up legerdemain fast just sell and launder everything you can since exp counts per item, not by price. There is a limit of items you can sell/launder per day and you can sell and launder simultanousely.
    Edited by Kiara on January 10, 2018 11:49PM
  • LillyMorgana
    You guys are seriously awesome. Thank you so much! I can't wait to play tonight. :)
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime :)
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiara wrote: »
    Small tip to this, you can sell and launder any stolen goods you put your hands on, if you want to level up legerdemain fast just sell and launder everything you can since exp counts per item, not by price. There is a limit of items you can sell/launder per day and you can sell and launder simultanousely.

Yep, and that limit can be increased through a passive in the Legerdemain skill line. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Hibiki54
    Hibiki54
    ✭✭✭
    Typically trade guilds will have a minimum quota per week that each member must maintain. It can be as low as maintaining as low as 5-10k sales per week, or even as high as 100k sales per week. Some trade guilds also hold auctions and raffles and some may give the option to their membership of either maintaining the sales quota or making a donation to the auction or a raffle ticket donation.

Traders that require weekly dues do so because they need the funds from membership to maintain a bid on a guild trader location.
    @Hibiki54
    PC/NA
    Hibiki the White Mage - Altmer|Templar Healer (main)
    Hibiki the Warrior - Imperial|Dragonknight Tank
    Hibiki the Red Mage - Redguard|Stamina Sorceress DD
    Hibiki the Black Mage - Altmer|Magicka Pet Sorceress DD
    Hibiki the Summoner - Breton|Warden Tank
    Hibiki the Thief - Bosmer|Stamina Nightblade PvP
    Hibiki the Knight - Nord|Stamina Templar DD
    Hibiki the Dragoon - Reguard|Stamina Dragonknight DD
    Hibiki the Onion Knight - Dunmer|Sorceress Tank
    Hibiki the Holy Knight - Altmer|Magicka Templar DD
    Hibiki the Geomancer - Altmer|Dragonknight Tank
    Hibiki the Ninja - Imperial|Nightblade Tank
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the US on Playstation!

Sending an invite to free one.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the US on Playstation!
    Sending an invite to free one.

Years ago we were in the same guild and chatted a few times. I don't even remember the guild. I wondered whether you were still playing. I eventually dropped all my guilds on PS4, glad to see you found one.

More on topic, people who are not interested in playing the market should stay away from trade guilds that charge a weekly fee. I found these guilds to be rampant on PS4, but not so much on PC.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 14, 2018 4:57PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re on PS4 NA I have a trade guild that doesn’t charge...they raise funds via raffles and maintain a decent spot. I get good sales with them. If you want an invite, reply in this thread using @davey1107 in the post or send me a psn message. In the meantime, some tips.

Do you want to trade?

You get 30 slots in a guild store. If you’re going to be an active trader, you want to be able to fill and replenish these. This means learning what sells and what doesn’t, and taking time to price your items. It’s not hard, and a lot of people enjoy it. Others hate it. If you think it would be fun to roam all over grabbing stuff to sell for tens of thousands of gold and watch your account grow and grow, then your home collection, then whatever, maybe you’re a trader at heart, lol.

What’s the payoff?

I am not bragging...making digital gold is not an accomplishment, lol. But, if you’re wondering what dedicated traders make, I guess I qualify. The friend I have a guild with and play with hates trading, so he has me manage his stores. I therefore stock eight guild stores between our two accounts. That’s 240 trade slots. I will guess that my current inventory breaks down as 75 crafted furnishings, 60 various crafting mats, 30 motif pages, 20 crafted purple gear, 15 furnishings and food recipes, 10 crafted food, the rest misc detritus that flows through my character’s lives.

If I fully stock these shops, they sell about $1 million / week. I pay $90k in dues. I also craft a lot of my stuff, so I spend about $400k on the materials. This is mostly furniture...right now I’m spending $4-$10k per piece to make, and trying to price for a $2-$4k per piece profit. So that’s a $500k profit weekly. To be honest, I don’t track it that well, but that sounds close. I know I banked $350k this week, but I bought half the bloodforge motifs at $40k each. Then my friend banked like $200k because he made some furnishings for his account.

The point is that you can make enough to afford whatever you want in the game that costs gold. But be aware...you can’t buy love. For that, zos has love tokens that cost 15,000 crowns each,,and each one opens a love crate, which some contain apex love coupons, but most have mosquitos and stale Funyuns.

Things that sell

Once you join a guild you have access to some great info - their sales history. You can see everything that being bought and sold, and for how much. This is a good way to get an idea what’s selling. You can research prices in the store itself. If you find a frost Miriam and want to sell it, use the filters to look up what other players are selling their for.

As a new player, we can get you started with some go-to items.

Materials sell well. Learn how to farm and refine mats, and work your lines so you get the most out of this. With a little work on your crafting skills (and by doing daily craft writs) you can be generating the gold mats in the trade skills. These sell for $5-$10k each currently, and this is a good start for a new trader. The materials themselves sell pretty fast - stacks of iron or leather or whatever. Farm mats, research the appropriate price, and list.

Motifs can be very valuable. There are so many now they drop in all kinds of ways. Do some research on which ones drop where, then look up prices and if they’re worth a bit go farm them. To give you an idea, right now I’m farming Morag Tong for $30k each, ashlander is $15-$20k, Minotaur and order of the hour for $20-$30k, dragr is good, the Morrowind house motifs if you want to pickpocket. Dwemer. Apostle. Ebonshadow. That’s a pretty good list of motifs that are valuable AND easy to farm for a lower level character. Learn where they drop, see if you like the activities, then set up a farm route. If you like this, consider rolling alts to help you earn your favorites faster.

So if this sounds fun, try doing some runs to build up a small stockpile of this stuff. Earn 5-10 motifs and some stacks of materials you want to sell, then join a guild and list them. Mats and motifs are the best way to go from a broke new player to having several hundred thousand in your account pretty quickly. Depending how much you play, you can definitely be selling $50-$100k in motifs per week if you price them well.
    Edited by davey1107 on January 15, 2018 9:27AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on July 15, 2018 5:06PM
  • jasann
    jasann
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    If you’re on PS4 NA I have a trade guild that doesn’t charge...they raise funds via raffles and maintain a decent spot. I get good sales with them. If you want an invite, reply in this thread using @davey1107 in the post or send me a psn message. In the meantime, some tips.

Do you want to trade?

You get 30 slots in a guild store. If you’re going to be an active trader, you want to be able to fill and replenish these. This means learning what sells and what doesn’t, and taking time to price your items. It’s not hard, and a lot of people enjoy it. Others hate it. If you think it would be fun to roam all over grabbing stuff to sell for tens of thousands of gold and watch your account grow and grow, then your home collection, then whatever, maybe you’re a trader at heart, lol.

What’s the payoff?

I am not bragging...making digital gold is not an accomplishment, lol. But, if you’re wondering what dedicated traders make, I guess I qualify. The friend I have a guild with and play with hates trading, so he has me manage his stores. I therefore stock eight guild stores between our two accounts. That’s 240 trade slots. I will guess that my current inventory breaks down as 75 crafted furnishings, 60 various crafting mats, 30 motif pages, 20 crafted purple gear, 15 furnishings and food recipes, 10 crafted food, the rest misc detritus that flows through my character’s lives.

If I fully stock these shops, they sell about $1 million / week. I pay $90k in dues. I also craft a lot of my stuff, so I spend about $400k on the materials. This is mostly furniture...right now I’m spending $4-$10k per piece to make, and trying to price for a $2-$4k per piece profit. So that’s a $500k profit weekly. To be honest, I don’t track it that well, but that sounds close. I know I banked $350k this week, but I bought half the bloodforge motifs at $40k each. Then my friend banked like $200k because he made some furnishings for his account.

The point is that you can make enough to afford whatever you want in the game that costs gold. But be aware...you can’t buy love. For that, zos has love tokens that cost 15,000 crowns each,,and each one opens a love crate, which some contain apex love coupons, but most have mosquitos and stale Funyuns.

Things that sell

Once you join a guild you have access to some great info - their sales history. You can see everything that being bought and sold, and for how much. This is a good way to get an idea what’s selling. You can research prices in the store itself. If you find a frost Miriam and want to sell it, use the filters to look up what other players are selling their for.

As a new player, we can get you started with some go-to items.

Materials sell well. Learn how to farm and refine mats, and work your lines so you get the most out of this. With a little work on your crafting skills (and by doing daily craft writs) you can be generating the gold mats in the trade skills. These sell for $5-$10k each currently, and this is a good start for a new trader. The materials themselves sell pretty fast - stacks of iron or leather or whatever. Farm mats, research the appropriate price, and list.

Motifs can be very valuable. There are so many now they drop in all kinds of ways. Do some research on which ones drop where, then look up prices and if they’re worth a bit go farm them. To give you an idea, right now I’m farming Morag Tong for $30k each, ashlander is $15-$20k, Minotaur and order of the hour for $20-$30k, dragr is good, the Morrowind house motifs if you want to pickpocket. Dwemer. Apostle. Ebonshadow. That’s a pretty good list of motifs that are valuable AND easy to farm for a lower level character. Learn where they drop, see if you like the activities, then set up a farm route. If you like this, consider rolling alts to help you earn your favorites faster.

So if this sounds fun, try doing some runs to build up a small stockpile of this stuff. Earn 5-10 motifs and some stacks of materials you want to sell, then join a guild and list them. Mats and motifs are the best way to go from a broke new player to having several hundred thousand in your account pretty quickly. Depending how much you play, you can definitely be selling $50-$100k in motifs per week if you price them well.

Isn't account sharing against TOS? @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jasann

Oh look, it’s Dudley Do-Right and the po-pos, out to police the internet. Lol.

I can clarify my process, which is within the TOS, and ZOS can step in to confirm this if they like. It’s a system of trading, not account sharing.

Once a month I craft a pile of furnishings and armor, probably about 400 items. Maybe not quite that many...I don’t know, a whole lot, lol. Then I push them to my friend through our guild bank. He pulls them with his ”merchant alt”.

He has a spreadsheet of prices I’ve sent him. I use a standardized pricing strategy to try to keep things together in the stores, ie I sell purple Hundings for $9900 per piece and he sells purple night mother’s for $9800 each. All redguard purple furnishing from the wood station are the same price. All purple room dividers are the same price. (For those who want to sell, this is a good system. You want to be able to browse your store and see what needs replacing).

When he logs in each day to do writs on his merchant, he pulls sales emails. If he’s sold a skooma bubbler, grand table and Nord bear rug he goes and replaces those in the store. This is an important strategy to selling furnishings...keep a variety of specific items, with 1-2 listing of any one item. When it sells, replace it. This is easier than just randomly guessing what to sell.

He uses the money accumulated on that character to buy replacement furnishing mats, and he sends me some gold, and he keeps some gold.

Voila, that’s running a craft guild, not account sharing.

• jasann
    jasann
    ✭✭✭
    Ever so sorry I took what you typed a different way and for that i am sorry