The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

set bonus crafting: traits known

soulclaw
soulclaw
✭✭✭
I was looking at the special crafting station sets and the recipes have notes like "2 traits required". What does this mean? Which two traits, and on what?
Sweetie, can you show us on the doll where the bad man from Blizzard touched you?

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any 2. its a minimum known number of traits by you, for that item type. you need to research to increase your known traits, at a crafting table
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To expand, let’s consider a “2 trait set” like night silence and a 6 trait set like Hundings rage.

What are craft sets

Craft sets are special gear sets that provide more and more buffs as you add pieces from that set. Most craft sets are “5piece sets,” meaning that if you wear a 2nd piece you get a buff, a 3rd piece stacks another buff, a 4th piece adds another, then for a 5th piece you get something really special. There are 40-something craft sets scattered all over the world. When you are low level, crafting your own gear from these can be quite powerful. Tip: you have either 11 or 12 slots depending on weapon choice. Learning to stack as many set buffs as possible on your character is a big part of the game.

Crafting them

In order to craft any piece of a craft set, you have to know that number of traits for that piece. If I want to make a night silence jack, I need to have researched any two traits for medium chests. If I haven’t, I will be locked out. To make a Hundings medium chest, I need to have researched six traits on medium chests.

Let’s say I research six traits on medium chests and nothing else at all. I could then craft a Hundings chest, but I could not make Hundings boots or gloves or anything else. To make these sets you need to complete research on multiple pieces. And the research is separate for light, medium and heavy armor. So if I research six traits on medium chests, I can make a Hundings jack but not a heavy cuirass.

Also, it should go without saying that you can only make these set pieces in traits you’ve researched. If I research divines and infused chests so I can make a night silence jack, those are the only two traits I can choose from for the jack.

Craft stations have a toggle between “plain” gear and the craft set version. On the craft set screen you will be able to scroll through and see which pieces you can make and in what traits.

Getting started

If you think you might want to craft your own gear, start by learning the traits divines, infused or training on your preferred armor weight, then experiment with a two trait set.

If you don’t want to be a crafter, no worries. There are tons of players willing to make gear for you if you ask in zone or guild chat.

Add’l resources:

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davey1107 pretty much nailed it there.

One thing further to consider, especially if you're coming over from Skyrim, Oblivion or one of the other single-player Elder Scrolls games - the armor in ESO plays a significant role in your erhm.. role. Magicka users get tremendous bonuses via passive skills in the light armor skill line, most of which scale based on the number of light armor pieces you are wearing. Medium armor favors stamina damage dealers, and heavy armor benefits high-health, tanky characters the best.

I only mention this because based on your characters' chosen professions, you'll want to start researching traits on the items you're most likely to use first, along with the most desirable traits as mentioned above. I.E. If you're a magicka sorcerer, start researching traits on light armor (clothing) and staves (woodworking). If you're stamina-based, start with medium and either 1-handed weapons (PvE) or 2-handed weapons (PvP), depending on your preferred gameplay style.

With crafted gear, and crafted set bonuses, the max number of items you can equip is 9. Two weapons and 7 body armor pieces. You have up to 12 gear slots, but because jewelry is not craftable, those slots cannot be used for crafted sets to achieve two, five-piece set bonuses. So look at the 5th set piece bonus if you're planning on making two crafted sets, and decide which one is more important, and craft five pieces of that, and four pieces of the other.

If this is all Greek, and we've only confused you further, please post again and we'll try to make it make sense. Unlike some of the other categories on these forums, the crafting section is typically the most helpful and responsive.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)