Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trial Gears' Negative Effect on Builds

• OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uh oh. OP got thrown into the slammer
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Diminish

Why does it show me in the quote when I didn't say that :o

Good question? I have no idea how you ended up being quoted... I fixed it though :)
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the Casual's tears best PVE gear should alwasy be farmed at trials.

It just have the great sense, why wouldnt it loot there?

Not even mention Minor Slayer is nothing exceptionally great. Just use willpower/agility, its pretty much the same.
    You are not doing trials anyway do you? Then u dont need that gear anyway.

But if u are complaining about the opportunities of making "any" trials, then blame Zenimax for that. First bound on pick up items, then sustain nerf. Its so nice that Zenimax cares about raiding community, it drove them out.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've literally never heard of or seen anyone in trials not using a set with Minor Slayer. Don't know about Minor Aegis.
    So what you’re saying is, can’t win don’t try?

I don't know what you're trying to say here.

If I run Sunderflame I typically run it with Hunding's. There you go, now you've heard of it. You're welcome.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minor Slayer/Aegis, as trail-gear-only passives, completely stifle build creativity for serious PVE players. Yes, you could PVE without it, but you will either never complete any content harder than an average veteran non-DLC dungeon or it will be monumentally harder to do so.
    I've literally never heard of or seen anyone in trials not using a set with Minor Slayer. Don't know about Minor Aegis.

Have vMaw skin, have never ran minor slayer/aegis. AMA.

Edited by DeadlyRecluse on January 10, 2018 4:55PM
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can 5% mean that much of a difference compared to a 5-set bonus.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can 5% mean that much of a difference compared to a 5-set bonus.

It apparently doesn't, my experiences thus far have just been skewed by the fact I only have ever played magicka characters and a NB tank. It just felt like I've literally never seen anyone running endgame DPS classes without a trial set, so it seemed to me like it was mandatory. I've been told here by multiple users that I am incorrect, which is actually a relief to me. Maybe I can try 5 piece Necropotence and 5 piece Mad Tinkerer on my sorc after all, or some other combination of a proc set on my back bar with Necro. Same for Burning Spellweave backbar on my magicka DK.
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then play a healer. Plus minor aegis is so garbage. Seducer + plague + chudan is real tanky sets. For most the stuff you can run support sets like turag / alkosh + ebon.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor slayer is highly overrated, the claimed 5% actually works out to around 3.5% on most builds since it is additive not multiplicative with other bonuses (berserk, slayer, CP's, etc.). In many cases a 3 piece willpower will outperform a 3 piece Moondancer.

The only reason people use these trial sets is the lack of a decent option for a 4 pc set to combine with a monster helm and a 5 pc set.

In my experience, Monster helms are underperforming on mag Sorc right now anyway. Many of them require melee, Skoria proc rate is low on Sorc, and the fire side of Ilambris is not reliable (even with crushing shock and a fire glyph).

For pet Sorc, 5 necropotence + 5 mechanical acuity is your best option. For multi-element non-pet sorc go with 5 Julianos + 5 mothers sorrow. For non-pet pure lightning Sorc 5 Julianos + 5 Netch's touch is the best combo. For the 11th gear piece use a 1 piece monster set or a weapon set (asylum, master, maelstrom staves).

The only Sorc I would use trials gear or monster sets on this patch is a perfect asylum Destro build, with nerieneth or Ilambris.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you really dont know what you are talking about
    you obviously dont do vet trials a lot

minor slayer isnt necessary, just something nice.
    most mag char run a 5 piece ex necropotence or julianos and a 4 piece moondancer/infallible aether/master architect back bar maelstrom staff

ive also seen mag char have a asylum staff and wear 3 piece will power, still works great, no minor slayer

stam doesnt always have minor slayer either. stam dks wear nmg/sunderflame/morag tong and can pair it with vicious ophidian or hundings rage

and tanks need minor aegis? lmao
    its torugs/ebon/alkosh/powerful assault/akiviri dragonguard

your problem is you are not in a trials guild and cant reliably farm it. go join one, plenty of guilds are recruiting
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know of absolutely no tanks that regularly give up three pieces for minor Aegis, considering it's only the equivalent of 3300 armor.

I have, at best, one situation where I use Automated Defense, but that's more for the 5 piece proc than the 3 piece passive.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of absolutely no tanks that regularly give up three pieces for minor Aegis, considering it's only the equivalent of 3300 armor.

Agreed, Minor Aegis it is pretty useless. And armor becomes twice as good when near armor cap. For example, going from 31.3k armor (47.4% mitigation, 52.6% inc dmg taken) to 33k armor (50% mitigation, 50% inc dmg taken) gives the same damage reduction (2.6%/52.6% = 4.94%) as minor Aegis and is only a gain of 1700 resistance.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, no, you don't need any trial sets to have what could be considered a BiS/top build. Some of the sets are definitely in some of the BiS builds, but it 's not a requirement. Probably just the trusty Infal or moondancer, even the four piece, is the most used (and this is more often b/c you just have to pick a good 4 piece to go with your 5 piece and staff since you can't wear two five pieces). Anyway, the point is, the 5% isn't the end-all, be-all you make it out to be. There are several great builds not using any trial sets.

Also, any of the defensive bonuses from trials sets are terrible. With the way they figure out damage reduction, having some extra % taken off of all the already reduced damage adds up to nothing. Even Alkosh isn't the necessity it once was for tanking (the up time isn't as great as people think and with the changes to resource management it's a bigger pain than it's worth for most tanking).

In the end, as a guy that has spent much of his ESO life tanking, I can tell you that the biggest thing that makes or breaks DPS is your rotation and how well you have it down. I've done all kinds of content and have access to most all BiS gear and having that gear is not wear near as important as knocking the rust off and getting good at a rotation before DPSing serious content.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC