The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need Tank Advice for Vet Banished Cells 2HM

TeamSeinfeld
TeamSeinfeld
✭✭✭
Hi everyone. Quick background. One of today's Undaunted Pledges was Banished Cells 2. I ran them this morning in normal mode (no issues at all) but wanted to get some advice on Veteran Hard Mode. My tank is CP420 and because of that, I think people assume I've run this many times. My tank is actually my newish alt who just got to level 50 two weeks ago and inherited the high CP of my main. So this dungeon was new to me. During three different runs on the last boss (where you have to keep at least 3 daedroth alive to earn hard mode), I was told three different approaches to doing this. In one group, I was told to just aggro the boss only, in another group aggro just the daedroth, and in the last group, aggro all of them. I tried each of these approaches, and it seemed if the group had high enough DPS, it really didn't matter what I did. But I was hoping to hear from experienced tanks who can share their opinions on this. And one other quick question, when the last boss raises you up in the air and you have to run to the nearest red or blue rune to remove the DOT, do you have to stand in the rune for a few seconds or just run into the circle and out? Many thanks!
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    . And one other quick question, when the last boss raises you up in the air and you have to run to the nearest red or blue rune to remove the DOT, do you have to stand in the rune for a few seconds or just run into the circle and out? Many thanks!

Just run into the circle and out.
    in another group aggro just the daedroth, .. But I was hoping to hear from experienced tanks who can share their opinions on this

Having the tank agro the three daedroth to keep alive, and run them away from the DPS, allows all the DPS to do thier job to the max and quickest without the need for DPS to worry about those three being alive.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there are lots of approaches for this fight and in PuG it rises up a lot of confusion, unhappiness and sorrow.

I won't give you tank advices, instead I can give you healer's point of view and experience. It could help you with how to approach the fight or how to change it midfight.

For me the best approach is when the tank taunts the boss and keep it somewhere away from the fire. Don't taunt Deadroths. When the boss is about to die (20-30%) and you want to keep those three Deadroths alive, switch the tactics - take three Deadroths away and let the boss for DDs.
    The DDs primarily kill Deadroths and orbs (and dps the boss when there is nothing to kill) until the boss is about to die (20-30%).

Why? Although the boss doesn't do a lot of damage, all the mechanics add up: boss damage + deadroth damage + fire damage + fall damage + blue/red Dots and snares. Moreover as you can't keep the boss stationary, it's really hard to heal effectively, because people are all over the place. And here comes the trick - when you have average party and you feel like the fight is going south, you can take the boss away and let the party recover.

Of course, if you have a lot of DPS, you can let DDs go strait to the boss, it's easier and faster. But for average PuG I have more success with the appoach I described above.

Funny note: Today, as always in PuG, I had to run this dungeon three times, because two times I got ported to the final boss. The first party had DDs around CP160, pretty low dps. We did it the way I described above, it was slow, but doable. We didn't manage HM though. Then I got second party last boss. They went full dps to the boss, even ignoring the color mechanics (so they were getting a lot of damage), and of course it was a disaster. I left the party, they didn't want to change tactics (after two wipes). Then I got a new party, yay, high dps, full force to boss, nobody died. 15-minute run.
    Yes.
  • SupremeRissole
    SupremeRissole
    ✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to pug this anymore it's a mess everytime.
    Simple explanation: range taunt boss, and grab the deadroths when the spawn and take them away to near the middle but away from group.
    If the dps is good they should be slowing the dps down until the third deadroth spawn. If they arent, then once I have about 4-5 deadroth I will not grab any new ones so that it runs to the group. They should be able to kill it with aoes on boss before the next spawns. If not, *** group and you may have to hold onto all of them, I've had 8 deadroth at one stage and it wasn't fun. If you reach 10 deadroth and they arent in execute, that group aint getting the HM in a long time.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It mainly just comes down to the dps. Yes, you as a tank should ideally taunt boss and all the daedroth - iirc boss shoots pretty painful fireballs or whatever at whoever he has agro on so it helps, although his other attacks are untauntable. Daedroths' most annoying attack is also untauntable but at least you can turn their fire away from the group.

The main question is whether your group should kill all daedroth up until certain treshold(say boss at 20% or so) or just burn down the boss. The latter approach can result with 10+ daedroth if the group's dps is low so the common pug strat is kill daedroth as they spawn up until whatever % you agree on. Either way tanking strat stays the same though.

My only tip would be ranged taunt but I'm sure you have that part down by now. The boss ports too much and daedroth spawn far away so I usually end up range taunting most of the time instead of Puncture(although I do try to keep Puncture debuff on boss). Bright side is besides porting, boss will never move on his own so you can perfectly keep agro on him from afar.
  • EdmundTowers
    EdmundTowers
    ✭✭✭
    You can hold all the boss and daedra aggro but you can't do anything for a group that gets killed off by just the boss mechanics (boss aoe and dots). Happened to me last time I did this. However, once you get a team of non brainless players, its actually pretty damn easy as tank. Just use absorb magicka (defensive stance morph) and range taunt. The boss light attacks heal you if cast absorb magicka as the fireballs are about to hit you. Kill all daedra until boss is about 25-30% health. Then you range taunt the boss, puncture taunt the daedra, and do donuts in the corner while using absorb magicka to have boss heal all the damage daedra are doing to you.
    Co GM of Imperium of the Eagle, PvP Guild NA PC, ~Aldmeri Dominion~
    Tyrael Allynna Aldmeri Magplar
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone. Quick background. One of today's Undaunted Pledges was Banished Cells 2. I ran them this morning in normal mode (no issues at all) but wanted to get some advice on Veteran Hard Mode. My tank is CP420 and because of that, I think people assume I've run this many times. My tank is actually my newish alt who just got to level 50 two weeks ago and inherited the high CP of my main. So this dungeon was new to me. During three different runs on the last boss (where you have to keep at least 3 daedroth alive to earn hard mode), I was told three different approaches to doing this. In one group, I was told to just aggro the boss only, in another group aggro just the daedroth, and in the last group, aggro all of them. I tried each of these approaches, and it seemed if the group had high enough DPS, it really didn't matter what I did. But I was hoping to hear from experienced tanks who can share their opinions on this. And one other quick question, when the last boss raises you up in the air and you have to run to the nearest red or blue rune to remove the DOT, do you have to stand in the rune for a few seconds or just run into the circle and out? Many thanks!

(1) If the group has good dps you can taunt the adds and take them away from boss. In this case don't range taunt the boss (he doesn't do that much more dmg to others untaunted) though or he will run towards u after every teleport he makes which pretty much drops the group dps to half.

(2) If the group dps is not the best taunt all the adds and boss and stay next to boss while dds take out the adds and do dmg to boss untill boss has about 20% health left. At that point just taunt only the adds and take them away from boss while others wait untill there are 3 adds before executing the boss.
    Edited by Make2k15 on January 9, 2018 7:46AM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed this 2x when it was the pledge by having the group kill all the daedra until Rilis reached about 20% health.
    At about 20%, the tank grabbed the Daedroth that was up and pulled over to the back corner near the stairs and red rune. We slowed DPS and waited for the daedroth to spawn. The tank pulled the second and third daedroth when they spawned. When the 3rd one spawned, Rilis was at 12% and the DPS just burned him.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • silhouette187
    Everyone pays so much attention to the skill level of the tank during this fight, but it has more to do with the healer in my experience. If the DPS know the mechanics (especially the bubble phase and cleansing on the proper pad), one DPS kills those orbs that heal Rilis, everyone stays out of fire, and stay stacked it’s a breeze. I’ve tanked 10 daedroth at once just to test sustain and it’s fine. If the DPS is low then definitely kill all daedroth until your percentage threshold, if the DPS is good, then the tank should be fine taunting all the daedroth and surviving until Rilis is dead.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally taunt everything, just keeping boss aggro keeps his ranged attack on me, it can hit pretty hard on the dps or healers, so it takes stress off of them if you can keep him taunted. Then just pick up the deadroth as they come out and hold them away from boss so they don't get accidently killed.

If I get lifted, I usually call it out in case a deadroth gets loose while I'm in the air or across room cleansing. (Which you just have to run in and out to cleanse the effect).

Only thing to note is like silhouette said, if DPS is low and you are getting too many deadroth, then you have to guesstimate when it's best to start keeping them alive and kill the first few that come out so it doesn't get too crazy.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always approached this one tanking both until 20% then taunting just the guards and dragging them away from him when he's under 20% to allow DPS to use their full arsenal without worry (AOEs)
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Always best if the group is talking so that everyone knows what is going on. As a tank I always take the boss to the back corner, to give the group as much chance at killing the healing orbs and keeping the number of Daedroth down until the boss is under a certain amount of health. This can be as low as 20% but may be higher if the DPS is good.

Once this goal is reached I taunt the Daedroth away from the boss so the rest of the group can kill him. Sometimes you might have to wait for a 3rd to spawn , which is why communications is important to me. Unless the DPS is really good, you are better off killing the early Daedroth and slow down on killing the boss if needed at the end of the fight - it is a lot easier than trying to manage 5, 6 or 7 Daedroth.

The final boss if CoH 2 is similar to this if you want HM, depending on how good the DPS is, taunt the boss until he is at 50% while the adds are knocked down and boss is being hit. Once he is at 50%, leave him and taunt the adds, keeping them away from the boss, ensuring there are 4 up before he picks up the sword (about 35%).
    Edited by disintegr8 on January 18, 2018 11:38PM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    I think it’s easiest to have tank hold the Daedra at the top of the little steps right where they spawn. Hold them there and stay alive and healer heals you and dps from middle. From there dps can just burn boss the whole time as the boss will run randomly around the room away from the Daedra and tank.
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam

Completed vDSA - vHRC HM - vAA HM - vSO HM - vMoL - vHoF HM - vCR +1 - vMA Flawless 585k - vAS +2 HM
  • Mace1982
    Mace1982
    Easy mode - taunt and tank boss taunt daedroth as they come out and get dps to kill them (aoe down with boss) until boss is at 500k health then just taunt/kite daedroth till you have 3 then your dps knacker the boss works every time for me!