The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This is the problem with the Fire atronach mounts - pictures inside

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
There have already been a few threads commenting on the somewhat bad design on the Fire Atronach mounts, comparing them to molten cheese, and I've now put together a picture album that should explain why it is so.

The fire atros are perhaps the worst of the atronach mounts so far, and while I ralise that the hope of you going back and changing any of these is rather slim, at least it will perhaps give you an idea of what people don't like about these models. After all, if your customers don't really like the mounts, they certainly won't buy the crates to find them and you'll lose the money.

On the pictures of the normal fire atronach enemies, you can see that they do not have large exposed orange areas, they look mostly like the volcanic stone, and the exposed lava core is kept to cracks and lines, and even the lines in between the outer rock are full of rivulets, lines and shades, especially shades of red to contrast with the bright orange.
The fire atros also are wreathed in flames, all over the arms, some on the head, and several flame tongues on the lower body and legs too.

Now contrast that with the fire atro mounts. The bear is the worst offender, the camel perhaps the one that looks the best, but they all suffer from the same issues. The molten core looks more like molten cheddar. It is much too exposed, much too little rock covering it, and it is pretty much kept in a monochrome orange, with very little deail, shade and tones of red to counter it.
The lack of a red shade is really the worst offender. Whereas the regular atros have lava cores that have shades from dull red to bright red to orange to hot yellow and white, the lava on the mounts is pretty much kept in orange and yellow. It looks much too dull, and nothing like fire or lava.

There is also much too little flame on the mounts, the bear barely has a few flame tongues on the body, but all the mounts have pitifully little flame going on. I realise that you can press space button to make them roar and explode, but the licking flame tongues should really be present on them at all time, like on the fire atro enemy NPCs.

Considering that the strom atros look really great, it's a pity that you released these in what seems like a rushed and unfinished state. some of us were looking really forward to these fire atro mounts, and I do hope you'll consider going back to their design. At least adding some more rocky material, some red shades between the rock and lava core, and perhaps add a bit more flame and fire tongues and animation, would go a long way in making these models more interesting.

Edited by Carbonised on January 5, 2018 9:05PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus the horse and wolf are too fat. Why are they fat? They've been eating too much cheese, I guess. :/

I really loved every series of crown crate mounts that have come out before this one, but it's pretty apparent that a different artist did the flame mounts. The special effects on the storm atronach mounts and wild hunt mounts were AMAZINGLY done.
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the flame mounts were a huge disappointment. The storm mounts had the right idea - raw energy loosely clad in the elements. The effect, the animation - they looked like living elementals. The fire ones on the other hand look like a plastic My Little Pony with some bark glued on. I was really excited for the flame season when the datamined pictures appeared but they fell far short of expectation. I ended up not spending the crowns I had budgeted for the flame crates because the mounts were so disappointing, and bought the storm/wild hunt crates instead.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really surprised by the negative reception on the forums regarding the fire atro mounts. I prefer them to the Storm. My only issue with the fire atro was I wish the lava parts would flow more.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've yet to see an attro mount that I want.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the regular Flame Atronach mounts have inside-out orange peels for skin, but the Cold Flame Atronach Wolf actually looks somewhat decent.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only all of the above but, I'm sick of the same Cookie Cutter Bear, Camel, Gaur, Horse, Senche and Wolf mounts... How about a little creative originality!? The Crown Crate Showcases are becoming increasingly more predictable in the worst way!

Bring back the Great Elk Mount!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »
    Not only all of the above but, I'm sick of the same Cookie Cutter Bear, Camel, Gaur, Horse, Senche and Wolf mounts... How about a little creative originality!? The Crown Crate Showcases are becoming increasingly more predictable in the worst way!

Bring back the Great Elk Mount!
    I know, right? They can occasionally do a kagouti or elk instead of a camel or bear. (My two least favorite mounts due to how bouncy they are to ride, although they do look good.)
    It's quite frankly baffling why they did a camel for the Wild Hunt crates ... FOREST THEMED crates ... but not the elk.

Edited by SydneyGrey on January 7, 2018 4:59AM
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fire Atronach mounts are overrated and over-valued, in my view, but each to their own.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m pretty sure the main problem with the flame mounts is blackened balls. I mean...ow.