The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Baby dragons shouldn't be Canon unless it's specifically retconned (dragon bones collector edition)

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/there-be-dragons

"There is no credible story of how dragons came to be. According to dremora that the College of Whispers have "questioned," they just were, and are. Eternal, immortal, unchanging, and unyielding. They are not born or hatched. They do not mate or breed. There are no known examples of dragon eggs or dragonlings. The Iliac Bay area has stories of such things, but so far all have proven false. The eggs turned out to be eggs of other reptiles. The small dragons were merely oversized lizards and no relation to true dragons.
Although they are not born, dragons can die. During the Dragon War of the Merethic Era, their numbers were decimated."

I'm excited and all for the undead baby dragon but can we have a confirmed retcon or is this a oversight? Please after killing the dragon and freeing him maybe let us talk to his spirit and ask him how his species once was.

Alternately if dragons cannot be born and age than can we have a logical in-game explanation?
Edited by Aliyavana on January 5, 2018 8:06AM
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually stated in the stream that it was a "mini dragon" not a baby dragon.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    They actually stated in the stream that it was a "mini dragon" not a baby dragon.

What is the difference? A small spell casted or something in it? Or are baby sized dragons a species? I hope the tooltip reflects it
    Edited by Aliyavana on January 5, 2018 8:10AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the simple explanation would be:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Dragonling
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    SisterGoat wrote: »

What is the difference? A small spell casted or something in it? Or are baby sized dragons a species?

They didn't say. But they said "No, it's not a baby dragon. It's a mini dragon."
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Dragonlings are reptiles that adapted by mimicking dragons appearance to be feared but are not dragons. The dragon in the dlc are actual dragons
    Edited by Aliyavana on January 5, 2018 8:21AM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dragonlings are reptiles that adapted by mimicking dragons appearance to be feared but are not dragons. The dragon in the dlc are actual dragons

Maybe the main boss is an actual dragon but the pet is just a dragonling
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Maybe the main boss is an actual dragon but the pet is just a dragonling

That's what I thought too.
    Simply naming the pet Dragonling in game and adding a description that briefly explains what it actually is would be enough to keep the pet lore-friendly.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares its a fantasy game, find your own way to justify it if it bothers you that much.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP has a good point. Not sure if retconning is the answer, but this dragon thing continues to be an elephant in the room.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buncha Buzz Killingtons...
    raw
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    Who cares its a fantasy game, find your own way to justify it if it bothers you that much.

Lore is core to this game, we can't just invent vampire dragons with friggin lazers now can we?
  • CreepySpydre
    CreepySpydre
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to worry about, by the picture it is not a dragon anyways.... its a drake, all be it a lesser creature of the dragon family.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lore is core to this game, we can't just invent vampire dragons with friggin lazers now can we?

Except we can? Cause it’s fantasy and the developers have a creative licence for their game. If you’re playing an MMORPG for 100% accurate lore, you’re playing the wrong sort of game.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who are fans of the world of the Elder Scrolls first and foremost.

Consistency is important in storytelling.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • elantaura
    elantaura
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm think its just an illusion of a dragon why its small. Rather than say necromancy or even conjuration i.e. raising or summoning.
    PS4 EU 1200+ cp - I enjoy RP, Housing, PVE and PVP

• Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a small Dragon familiar? Like how Nulfaga had Skakmat
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • ThinkerOfThings
    ThinkerOfThings
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it a mini skeletal dragon? I couldn't really see the pet in the video.
    "It is very, very sad being mortal. There is happiness, yes. But mostly sadness. As I have said, count only the happy hours." - Vivec
    XBOX - EP: Sen Sadri ( DE NB )
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

Skakmat wasn't small at all, in fact he was large enough to create a sudden unnatural fog at the Battle of Cryngaine Field which blinded the combatants.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m not one to care about lore, but just so everyone knows, the cash ZOS will make on dragon pets is far more important to them than keeping it within the lore.

rip decibel
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mini skeletal dragon like creature isn't lore breaking.
    Edited by SirAxen on January 5, 2018 9:33PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*Looks at Durnehviir*

No.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they said it was a necromanic illusion spell would everyone been ok with it ?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*Looks at Durnehviir*

No.

undead dragons exist and I'm not argueing against the existence of undead dragons but of baby dragons, but dragons are "Eternal, immortal, unchanging, and unyielding. They are not born or hatched. They do not mate or breed." so an undead dragon would have to be full grown. If this is a mini dragon zos needs to indicate it is a new breed of dragon like ice, blood dragons, etc
    Edited by Aliyavana on January 5, 2018 11:08PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*Looks at Durnehviir*

No.

undead dragons exist and I'm not argueing against the existence of undead dragons but of baby dragons, but dragons are "Eternal, immortal, unchanging, and unyielding. They are not born or hatched. They do not mate or breed." so an undead dragon would have to be full grown. If this is a mini dragon zos needs to indicate it is a new breed of dragon like ice, blood dragons, etc

Specifically you said, "we can't just invent vampire dragons with laser beam eyes," when, you know, there is one of those in lore. And, yes, his shout is vampiric.

Also, so far as that goes, we've got Molag Bal's take on the Dragons already in game, with the Daedric Titans. So, that's a thing.

What we've got here are mini-dragon like lizards. Which, you know, we've already got a dragon frog and dragon snake, so it's not that weird to have a dragon lizard.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

Skakmat wasn't small at all, in fact he was large enough to create a sudden unnatural fog at the Battle of Cryngaine Field which blinded the combatants.

Minor tangent: what does size have to do with power?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They invented undead werewolves. Of course there can be vampire dragons. :smiley:
    And lasers wouldn't really surprise anyone in Clockwork City.

That said:
    - Whatever its name, we can always assume that it's just a similar but smaller species.
    - That book (There Be Dragons) is just an ingame book. It's not gospel. (Or rather, it's much like the gospels - it could be quite inaccurate in places. ;) ) If it serves a purpose, they can just declare that the author was in error. Now, it'd be preferable if that purpose were something more important than some random pet, but for that, see point A. :)

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows how many dragons there actually was in that time of Tamriel. Their sizes may differ greatly.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »

Except we can? Cause it’s fantasy and the developers have a creative licence for their game. If you’re playing an MMORPG for 100% accurate lore, you’re playing the wrong sort of game.

I'm playing the Elder Scrolls Online. Yeah, I'd like my Elder Scrolls lore to be accurate, or failing that, at least a reasonable retcon. I can accept reasonable retcons, aka Cyrodiil isn't a jungle anymore.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling it a Dragonling would suffice for me.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner