Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there an actual book for sale that has all the ES lore?

T4T2FR34K
T4T2FR34K
✭✭✭✭✭
I see people talking about Vivec and Molags Balls all the time and I have stopped and read a couple Lusty Argonian Maid titles. I've been needing a good book to read and thought catching up on my second favorite universe (Fallout Online why have you forsaken me!) would be a good way to scratch that itch.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

But some good sources:
    https://www.imperial-library.info/
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Elder_Scrolls

Between the Imperial Library and the wikis, you'll find most of the information compiled for the lore. Just be aware that most of the Michael Kirkbride stuff is only canon if Bethesda says its canon, since he wrote a fair bit of development stuff and inspiration stuff that is interesting and thought-provoking but not actually canon.
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    remember that everything michael kirkbride wrote is canon and also better than what bethesda is actually putting out themselves
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not really true, don't listen to the people saing "no".

There are plenty of books that are great for TES and ESO lore. First off, there's the Skyrim Library vol. I, II & III as well as Tales of Tamriel vol I & II.

These are texts you can find in the Skyrim and ESO games as books, and they often contain a great variety and depth of all things lore related.

Then there's also the Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel which is a lorebook about the era and setting of ESO, as well as the various races, factions and historic persons. And finally the recent Naryu's Journal, which serves the same function as the Emperor's Guide, but focuses on the DLCs so far in ESO.

while this book collection of course does not cover each and every bit of lore from the TES universe, it still serves as a massive trove of lore and information, and I own and enjoy all of these books myself. Happy reading!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit has the full Skyrim Library and all the volumes of The Tales of Tamriel.

They are a significant outlay in coin yes but are very beautiful books and most worth it.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • T4T2FR34K
    T4T2FR34K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    That's not really true, don't listen to the people saing "no".

There are plenty of books that are great for TES and ESO lore. First off, there's the Skyrim Library vol. I, II & III as well as Tales of Tamriel vol I & II.

These are texts you can find in the Skyrim and ESO games as books, and they often contain a great variety and depth of all things lore related.

Then there's also the Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel which is a lorebook about the era and setting of ESO, as well as the various races, factions and historic persons. And finally the recent Naryu's Journal, which serves the same function as the Emperor's Guide, but focuses on the DLCs so far in ESO.

while this book collection of course does not cover each and every bit of lore from the TES universe, it still serves as a massive trove of lore and information, and I own and enjoy all of these books myself. Happy reading!

Thanks for giving me somewhere to start!
    Edited by T4T2FR34K on January 4, 2018 5:44PM
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    remember that everything michael kirkbride wrote is canon and also better than what bethesda is actually putting out themselves

Say that in teslore subreddit and get a free ban xD
    Even though I do disagree with your statement strongly.
    What he wrote during the development of Morrowind is the only canon stuffs.And yes Bethesda doesn't care much about the lore anyways.
    Edited by RupzSkooma on January 4, 2018 5:52PM
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    I did buy the tales of Tamriel books which are pretty good sources. You can also listen to EsoTRs classic podcasts which contain a lot of references to books.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.

What he wrote during the development of Morrowind is the only canon stuffs.And yes Bethesda doesn't care much about the lore anyways.

That's a pretty weird statement considering he also wrote for Knights of the Nine and Skyrim, but okay.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can read some books, sure, but knowledge about TES universe is spread among many small in-game books, so my advice is that you better find a decent lore-master instead. Try YouTube, for example. I know one, but he speaks Russian.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's a pretty weird statement considering he also wrote for Knights of the Nine and Skyrim, but okay.

Why did he move on? Couldn't fit the crown store into lore?
  • nTranced
    nTranced
    ✭✭✭
    T4T2FR34K wrote: »
    I see people talking about Vivec and Molags Balls all the time and I have stopped and read a couple Lusty Argonian Maid titles. I've been needing a good book to read and thought catching up on my second favorite universe (Fallout Online why have you forsaken me!) would be a good way to scratch that itch.
    logarifmik wrote: »
    You can read some books, sure, but knowledge about TES universe is spread among many small in-game books, so my advice is that you better find a decent lore-master instead. Try YouTube, for example. I know one, but he speaks Russian.
    Here are a couple of YouTube playlists from ShoddyCast that cover TES lore

The Elder Scrolls Lore Series: Season 1

The Elder Scrolls Lore Series: Season 2
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    didn't that Michael Kirkbride guy say that khajiit and argonians are only in the universe for comedic relief and shouldn't be treated seriously or something like that? or was that someone else? or was I lied to
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    didn't that Michael Kirkbride guy say that khajiit and argonians are only in the universe for comedic relief and shouldn't be treated seriously or something like that? or was that someone else? or was I lied to

considering he's the source of some of their more compelling lore, probably not
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure I saw one in store.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so the youtube channels you should look into are

shoddycast (haven't done a lot recently tough)

fudgemuppet

camelworks

these guys all have fantastic elder scrolls videos - lore, stories, games, predictions etc... i watched nearly all of their videos and they are really high quality, lots of info and work into it....
    Edited by Nemesis7884 on January 6, 2018 4:31AM
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    so the youtube channels you should look into are

shoddycast (haven't done a lot recently tough)

fudgemuppet

camelworks

these guys all have fantastic elder scrolls videos - lore, stories, games, predictions etc... i watched nearly all of their videos and they are really high quality, lots of info and work into it....

Oh yeah those guys are pretty great.

TheExploringSeries

is currently making videos about ES lore atm as well.
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes Knight of the Nine too.
    And not at all Skyrim but he wrote a LOT of fanfictions.Even though he wrote some of the best stuffs about ES.
    But canon is not what you want the lore to be but what it really is. MK doesn't own the ES IP.
    Edited by RupzSkooma on January 6, 2018 5:36AM
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit has the full Skyrim Library and all the volumes of The Tales of Tamriel.

They are a significant outlay in coin yes but are very beautiful books and most worth it.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

I have a Khajiit friend in Vivec city called Jobasha... he's a bookseller. Maybe you could pay a visit to him. He also has very, very controversial book called "Progress of Truth", very interesting on Dunmer tradition. Beware to comment anything to the ordinators, since they could send you to dream with the slaughterfish...
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was he also the guy that made that website that says in the 5th Era Nirn ends and it changes into this big clockwork ball and what's left of the Dunmer rebuild their civilization on one of the Moons?

2UfhI7j.jpg
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

Why did he move on? Couldn't fit the crown store into lore?

He hasn’t, entirely. Kirkbride was the one who wrote the 37th Sermon of Vivec in the Morrowind chapter (he has heavily implied that he did, at least).

Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on January 10, 2018 6:58PM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Where is that image from?
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for books set in TES universe you can buy, there are also The Infernal City and Lord of Souls written by Gregory Keyes and are considered canon I guess.

And of course, as many others already stated, Imperial Library is best place to go to find in-game books :)
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Where is that image from?

The coda thing. Search for Elder Scrolls Landfall.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TheWaysOfYore
    TheWaysOfYore
    Soul Shriven
    I am not sure if anyone already mentioned this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online:_Tales_of_Tamriel
    A good recollection of in-game lore books.

Remember, there isn't anything better than actual in-game books to understand the game lore.

I prefer to avoid any YouTube summary video or any Wiki articles that doesn't quote in game books.

Also don't forget there are many races, with different point of view. No one is to be considered more true than another.

Greetings!
    "When the elven folk walked the land alone and sang songs of power amongst the trees and stars, Jephre the Singer walked with them."
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and ofc the books by Greg Keyes:
    Lord of Souls
    and
    The infernal City

awesome to read!