Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help!

Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello...

I've been playing ESO for just over a year - currently on CP 619.

Ok, here's the issue... I'm only hitting about 12k DPS.

My build is Redguard - stam sorc... I use Dual Wield on both bars.

I'm currently wearing 5 Spriggans and 5 Hundings (sometimes I switch this out with Nigh Mother's Gaze).

I've switched my build around so many times - I've followed Deltias build as well as ALCAST, all to no avail.

I know I need a Monster set, but how am I supposed to do group stuff when my DPS is so low?

I have no trouble with everything else (except PVP, which I'm not really interested in)... I can solo public dungeons with no issue - but I would love to take part in trials etc.

I'd be very appreciative of any advice.

By the way, I found my DPS by using one of those dummies at a guild house - usually takes me about 4 minutes to kill the thing.

Thanks so much.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get stormfist to go with 5 hundings and 5 spriggans. Other gear, traits, Enchants and CP as per alcasts build.

You will tripple that 12k dps if you are doing a correct rotation of skills and weaving correctly.
    If you are only getting 12k and you are running spriggans and hundings then it is absolutely your rotation failing.

Try this skill setup and simpler rotation:

Bar 1) hurricane, rending slashes, deadly cloak, rearming trap, bound armaments, flawless dawnbreaker

Bar 2) endless hail, posion injection, caltrops, vigor, bound armaments, ballista

If you are able to activate hurricane and deadly cloak prefight do that. Use ballista when it is available as your damage ulti

Rotation:

Rearming trap- barswap- light attack- endless hail- light attack- poison injection- light attack- razor caltrops- barswap- light attack- hurricane- heavy attack- rending slashes- heavy attack- deadly cloak- light attack- rearming trap- barswap/restart

This rotation performed exactly should keep all dots uptime near 100%. You should easily do over 30k and with this i do over 40k in trials. Like i said it is all about the correct sequence of skills and light/heavy attack weaving.

You can drop vigor, place rearming trap on the backbar and utilise shrouded daggers in your front bar rotation if you find your dots do not need reapplying. It reqlly depends on your efficiency in weaving. I suggest trying what i wrote out above snd then add shrouded when your weaving is spot on. The worst thing you can do is try and squeaze too much into your rot snd have dots like endless hail drop off you will lose a lot of dps.

Good luck mate im sure you will improve.
    Edited by Haquor on January 2, 2018 11:46AM
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for your help!

I can't get Stormfist without doing a group dungeon... no one will want me as a DPS with 12k DPS.

I will definitely try everything else you mentioned.

I just want to contribute.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your help!

I can't get Stormfist without doing a group dungeon... no one will want me as a DPS with 12k DPS.

I will definitely try everything else you mentioned.

I just want to contribute.

First, 12K is better than most people do. Just que for the dungeon that drops the helm.

Second, Stormfist is not required to get the DPS up. Gear is not going to help you at this point. You need to learn the suggested rotation above, or some other one that makes sense to you. You also need to learn to animation cancel.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A monster set usually does around 1.5-2k DPS. So yes, like Nestor said, improving from 12k does definitely NOT require a monster set. You'll want to get it once you reach 25+k DPS. :)

Haquor's suggestion for skills and rotation is solid. I have the Trap on the backbar, but that's personal preference. Also I don't have Caltrops yet on my stamsorc (I hate PVP and find it very aggravating going to Cyro to get it, so I usually procrastinate doing that for a LONG time), so I have Power Surge there instead for nice heals and potion-less Major Brutality.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @delenn35, since you're apparently a Babylon 5 fan: If you're on PC-EU, feel free to contact me if you'd like some live tips! ;)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you doubt your efficiency in vet dungeons I would suggest you start soloing normal dungeons. I did this when I switched to Sorc after 5.000 hours on my Templar main. I started with Darkshade Caverns I and then II (farming Netch's), but the Engine Guardian in II is a bit chewy Solo for me, other dungeons work too.

It's not primarily to finish these solo at first but to tweak your build and skill rotation on the different mobs/bosses. For this it worked for me. (I know many solo vet dungeons, but in this case that's not the main point I think).

If you fairly comfortably can solo normal I, I think you'll do fine in vet with buffs, heals, tank that all give you more fluent DPS rather than interruptions for evasion, heals and such.

Also ask guildies to group with you to do vet dungeons farming for helms,
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello...
    ... I use Dual Wield on both bars....

I know I need a Monster set, but how am I supposed to do group stuff when my DPS is so low?

Dual wield on both bars can be fun, but if you want a boost to DPS and you aren't attached to the double dual wield build I'd suggest adding a bow on the back bar. I just wrote about DW/DW a couple days ago and it seems viable-ish because of the high average weapon damage and 4 enchantments proccing continuously, but Endless hail and poison injection could add 10-15% to DPS, or perhaps more for a sorc.

Monster sets like Kragh's or Velidreth can give 1500 DPS +3% from the first set bonus.

The only other advice I can offer is to practice on the target dummy, it could take hours to find the rotation that works for you.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    @delenn35, since you're apparently a Babylon 5 fan: If you're on PC-EU, feel free to contact me if you'd like some live tips! ;)

Hey!

Yep, definitely a Babylon 5 fan.

I'm on X-Box though, but thanks for the offer!
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    If you doubt your efficiency in vet dungeons I would suggest you start soloing normal dungeons. I did this when I switched to Sorc after 5.000 hours on my Templar main. I started with Darkshade Caverns I and then II (farming Netch's), but the Engine Guardian in II is a bit chewy Solo for me, other dungeons work too.

It's not primarily to finish these solo at first but to tweak your build and skill rotation on the different mobs/bosses. For this it worked for me. (I know many solo vet dungeons, but in this case that's not the main point I think).

If you fairly comfortably can solo normal I, I think you'll do fine in vet with buffs, heals, tank that all give you more fluent DPS rather than interruptions for evasion, heals and such.

Also ask guildies to group with you to do vet dungeons farming for helms,

Thanks... I'll be giving this a go today.

• Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello...
    ... I use Dual Wield on both bars....

Dual wield on both bars can be fun, but if you want a boost to DPS and you aren't attached to the double dual wield build I'd suggest adding a bow on the back bar. I just wrote about DW/DW a couple days ago and it seems viable-ish because of the high average weapon damage and 4 enchantments proccing continuously, but Endless hail and poison injection could add 10-15% to DPS, or perhaps more for a sorc.

Monster sets like Kragh's or Velidreth can give 1500 DPS +3% from the first set bonus.

The only other advice I can offer is to practice on the target dummy, it could take hours to find the rotation that works for you.

Thanks... I'll keep practicing. This whole time I thought it was about the gear - I had no idea it was all about the rotation.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haquor wrote: »
    Get stormfist to go with 5 hundings and 5 spriggans. Other gear, traits, Enchants and CP as per alcasts build.

You will tripple that 12k dps if you are doing a correct rotation of skills and weaving correctly.
    If you are only getting 12k and you are running spriggans and hundings then it is absolutely your rotation failing.

Try this skill setup and simpler rotation:

Bar 1) hurricane, rending slashes, deadly cloak, rearming trap, bound armaments, flawless dawnbreaker

Bar 2) endless hail, posion injection, caltrops, vigor, bound armaments, ballista

If you are able to activate hurricane and deadly cloak prefight do that. Use ballista when it is available as your damage ulti

Rotation:

Rearming trap- barswap- light attack- endless hail- light attack- poison injection- light attack- razor caltrops- barswap- light attack- hurricane- heavy attack- rending slashes- heavy attack- deadly cloak- light attack- rearming trap- barswap/restart

This rotation performed exactly should keep all dots uptime near 100%. You should easily do over 30k and with this i do over 40k in trials. Like i said it is all about the correct sequence of skills and light/heavy attack weaving.

You can drop vigor, place rearming trap on the backbar and utilise shrouded daggers in your front bar rotation if you find your dots do not need reapplying. It reqlly depends on your efficiency in weaving. I suggest trying what i wrote out above snd then add shrouded when your weaving is spot on. The worst thing you can do is try and squeaze too much into your rot snd have dots like endless hail drop off you will lose a lot of dps.

Good luck mate im sure you will improve.

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

I'm going to try all of this today.

I feel like I'm back to being a beginner at this game, but at least I have a way forward now.

Really appreciate your help.