Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Why does the forgotten Altmer Hero not have Elven eyes?

ThePrinceOfBargains
ThePrinceOfBargains
✭✭✭✭✭
DDFB24_B6_E1_D1_4_CB1_9607_2251671_B8_D65.jpg
Never understood this. Why give this elf human eyes, yet stick with the traditional Elder Scrolls elf eyes for the in-game models?
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh god, I love her B)
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much to the chagrin of the Veiled Heritance, their vaunted theories about the purity of their Altmer bloodlines turn out to be complete bunk when the forgotten Altmer hero turns out to have obvious human ancestry.

Practically speaking, human-like faces look better on advertisements that are aimed at a bigger audience than Elder Scrolls lore fans.

Although Naryu Virian gets the Dunmer red eyes in her trailer, she'd got pretty human-looking eyes as well.
    a5e9ed3a8e20d20f20fd142c6053d4d2.jpg
    Options
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much to the chagrin of the Veiled Heritance, their vaunted theories about the purity of their Altmer bloodlines turn out to be complete bunk when the forgotten Altmer hero turns out to have obvious human ancestry.

Practically speaking, human-like faces look better on advertisements that are aimed at a bigger audience than Elder Scrolls lore fans.

Although Naryu Virian gets the Dunmer red eyes in her trailer, she'd got pretty human-looking eyes as well.
    I didn’t even notice Naryu had Human eyes. Damn ZOS, with their Human-washing!
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed it's just cheaper to not bother investing resources into making mer look perfectly like mer
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even elf eyes got nerfed :lol:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Options
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very questionable statement. Can you provide some social research on this subject, please?
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea that was supposed to be naryu. I thought it was just a generic player character stand-in.

PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

I had no idea that was supposed to be naryu. I thought it was just a generic player character stand-in.

Its Naryu. The trailer is the climax of the "Naryu's Journal" hat was published alongside the collector's edition for Morrowind: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/naryus-journal
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    A very questionable statement. Can you provide some social research on this subject, please?

What's your take on it?

The way I look at it, the Elder Scrolls doesn't have a visually definable "look" to their elves that screams "ELDER SCROLLS BRANDING!" the way that WOW or Warhammer does. And if you don't benefit from your elves looking visually distinct, why bother? Better to have the elves look like elves, but not weird and potentially off-putting. Hence, human-looking elves. edited to add: especially since you have to avoid the Uncanny Valley effect.

But I dislike arguing into a vacuum, so lets hear your reasoning.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 1, 2018 6:20PM
    Options
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't like making mers more like humans with pointy ears, it doesn't feel like elder scrolls universe (and ples don't bring oblivion screenshots here).
    PC/EU
    Options
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your take on it?

The way I look at it, the Elder Scrolls doesn't have a visually definable "look" to their elves that screams "ELDER SCROLLS BRANDING!" the way that WOW or Warhammer does. And if you don't benefit from your elves looking visually distinct, why bother? Better to have the elves look like elves, but not weird and potentially off-putting. Hence, human-looking elves. edited to add: especially since you have to avoid the Uncanny Valley effect.

I just find it hard to agree with you at this matter. You see, Mer in TES have almost Men appearance. Regarding eyes, the only distinction is bigger iris. It's very unlikely, that such detail can lead to the Uncanny Valley effect. As a proof of my words, I can refer to the Na'vi from the Avatar movie. They have exactly Mer eyes, don't you agree? :) Damn, they look like blue Altmers! :D
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much that they look better, but when you're doing a realistic render, human styled eyes help generate more empathy for that character. We connect better. We interpret emotions more clearly. There are fewer degrees of 'fake' to wade through.

Something the creators of Alita: Battle Angel clearly don't understand. If a character requires a distortion so jarring that it eliminates all sense of realism, don't choose a realistic medium. Because the results can be financially devastating.

28vvnef.jpg
    Edited by Acrolas on January 1, 2018 7:52PM
    signing off
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    What's your take on it?

I just find it hard to agree with you at this matter. You see, Mer in TES have almost Men appearance. Regarding eyes, the only distinction is bigger iris. It's very unlikely, that such detail can lead to the Uncanny Valley effect. As a proof of my words, I can refer to the Na'vi from the Avatar movie. They have exactly Mer eyes, don't you agree? :) Damn, they look like blue Altmers! :D

Okay. So if I understand you correctly, your argument is that Altmer look almost like humans, so slightly altering the eyes to have a bigger iris shouldn't be a problem. Which if that were the only changes to the Altmer vs human appearance, you'd have a point.

Except that's not really the case.The Altmer in the trailer is distinctly human-looking (basically a human with ears) compared to the actual Altmer. Now, ESO elves are pretty human looking with the exception of the large irises, brow ridges, and generally angular faces. That's much more a product of ESO design than it is the other Elder Scrolls games.
    Altmer in Skyrim: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Altmer_(Skyrim)

So when it comes down to your advertisements, you can have a generic human-looking elf who's not too far off from something you can make in game even though she's totally generic but she looks cool, or you can have a 6.5 ft tall, golden-skinned, large-eyed, sharply-angled faced female elf throwing magic whips around. ESO went with generic elf lady because A) She's a lot easier to make look cool. B ) She's obviously a elf to anyone who doesn't know anything about the lore. C) No one is going to be all "why do your elves look weird?" if they make her look generic. D) Only the lore people are going "why does an Altmer look like a human wearing elf ears?"

You can compare how advertisement-Naryu looks compared to in-game-Naryu to see a similar design process. Advertisement Naryu is considerably more humanized.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 1, 2018 9:34PM
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it would freak out the majority of the people whom watch the commercial?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Define 'elven eyes'.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Define 'elven eyes'.

Presumably ones like these, with the large irises.
    best-elder-scrolls-online-race-high-elf.gif
    You can see the large irises in Skyrim as well.
    latest?cb=20120124104134

Edited to add: and just from those two pictures you can see the major differences between ESO's elven designs and Skyrim's designs for the Altmer.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 1, 2018 9:57PM
    Options
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably they didn't offer the actress sufficient remuneration to have life-destroying elective surgery for a short promo shot.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    Presumably they didn't offer the actress sufficient remuneration to have life-destroying elective surgery for a short promo shot.

Those are CGI.
    https://baldasseroni.deviantart.com/art/Breton-Knight-Full-body-production-render-404824858
    Options
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because they are human actors.

Just a theory.
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    PC NA 400+ CP
    nerf ping please
    Options
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She does look pretty human
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tragically in-game Naryu looks absolutely NOTHING like her Cinematic counterpart. It'd be nice if ZOS would take all their Crown Crate money to invest in a better Engine.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

THIS. One of the things that irritated me about the version of the Morrowind announcement trailer that played during the U.S. Super Bowl last year was how it "subtly" cropped out all the non-human bits. You very clearly see the Redguard man's human face over and over again and up close. But Naryu's face is either not shown at all (you see her from behind), shown from a distance where the "elfy-ness" wouldn't be apparent to the average viewer, or shown so quickly that you wouldn't be able to see said "elfy-ness" without doing a freeze-frame at just the right moment--and even then it's often blurry or partially obscured. The Dunmer that Naryu was targeting and the extremely non-human Argonians in the full version of the trailer? Nowhere to be found.

It annoyed me because the advert was obviously intended to be appealing to the stereotypical "meatheads" watching the Super Bowl (stereotypes are bad, mmkay, and I say this as someone who doesn't watch sportsballs)...but those "meatheads" aren't the core audience of Elder Scrolls. To someone who knows the series, the ad looked like it was dumbed down to be as generic fantasy as possible, while to someone who doesn't know Elder Scrolls, it still just looked like generic fantasy with generic clockwork fantasy bits tossed in.

I'm sure making wider-audience Elder Scrolls ads to be as generic fantasy as possible makes sense from a marketing perspective, but to people who are actually into the series, it can be a little frustrating seeing the things that make Elder Scrolls...well, Elder Scrolls...dumbed down or cut out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZVFlq57UuI

Edited by 16BitForestCat on January 2, 2018 7:09AM
    —PC/NA, never Steam—
    Getting lost in TESO Tamriel and beyond since Beta 2013!
    Alliance agnostic: all factions should chill the fetch out and party together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
    Options