The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What do you do with crowns?

Furcula
Furcula
✭✭✭
With the crown sale going now right now, I'm tempted to buy some crowns myself. However, I don't see what I would ever spend the crowns on?

I have ESO+ so DLCs are out of question. Most good mounts and pets are in crown crates which I mostly refuse to buy. Furnishing items are also ridiculously expensive and not worth it.

Maybe the banker and merchant? Although they are also super expensive and I've been getting along fine without them.

What do you spend your crowns on?
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the banker in the previous sale. Worth every penny if you can get it in the Crown sale.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Housing, mounts, costumes, banker, merchant... And with housing storage right around the corner, that if it is crown bought (won't know till sometime in January).

But you have already basically ruled out everything but costumes and dye packs for yourself. So probably no reason to buy many unless you are into them or worried that the storage system will be crown only as I am.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought all the Mundus Stones for my primary house thanks to the Crown Sale. I buy the Crown-only houses that I like, but buy with gold any houses that offer that option.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy tons of crates just to cheese off the haters.

:-)

I spent a ridiculous amount on the crown sale.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In the same boat. Have been considering buying the adventure pack but man, I do NOT need anymore treasure maps. I've got a load of them waiting to be used as is. I would really just buy it for any race, any alliance option but since I don't PVP it'd be pretty unnecessary. Have considered buying the hair pack but not sure how often I'd really change anyone's hair. I wanted the Christmas mount but am pretty on the fence since the main bells/garland can't be toggled off. And I still have one empty character slot so don't need to buy those yet.

With eso+ I've got monthly crowns to spend, just never really find things I want that aren't locked behind crate RNG.
    Edited by heaven13 on December 27, 2017 1:01AM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finally bought the banker this sale. Has already saved me a ton of time.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're doing limited time releases of some really nice mounts and pets every month, only they just put them in the store for a few days and then take them out again. I'd buy crowns now, and save them for these limited releases.
    Also, I highly recommend getting the banker. I didn't think I'd be using him as much as I do, but I use him literally every day. I haven't gotten the merchant, though.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy costumes and other cosmetic items, as well as crown mounts. The occasional bit of furniture and a one-time purchase of a house.

I try to avoid buying chump crates where possible.

Considering the merchant since I purchased a bunch of sale crowns.

Edited by LadyAstrum on December 27, 2017 7:50AM
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mounts, costumes, hairstyles, personalities, etc.! There are plenty of good ones that aren't in crown crates.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I buy the monthly Crown Store items when they appeal to me and are priced right. Would have loved the Elk, but I can't justify more than 3.5k for a mount at the absolute most. 2k or 2.5k seems to be the sweet spot where if I like the look of a mount, I buy it instantly.

I love alts, so I'll always snap up new hairstyles, personalities, and interesting adornments. Costumes and hats I'll also buy if they look well made. But these days I tend to wait for forum "reviews" after being burned on the Breton Hero armour animating atrociously. Far too many outfits and hats ZOS produce have visual bugs that never even get acknowledged, let alone fixed.

Finally, housing looks like it will get a big push when storage is introduced. That's one of the things I've been waiting on, so long as it works as I hope (a useful amount of storage, and the ability to display weapons/armour around the house). I still haven't been 100% sold on a property though, and would mostly just like to see item limits doubled or tripled and new "building" items added to the game so ZOS can just sell us a big open plot of land that we can create our own buildings on, without load doors. But even if none of that happens, at least storage is finally happening, and housing will start to look a lot more appealing as a use for our spare Crowns.
    Edited by Darkstorne on December 29, 2017 2:08PM
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being fairly new to ESO I ended up altering my main toons name/appearance and purchased one speed upgrade thingy for my mount. Going to buy the place in Greenshade and probably another mount.

Just curious but is it worth spending crowns on the guilds and glory dlc if I'm already an ESO+ subscriber (6months)? Or will there be new things added to the crown store over the next few months?
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use them to buy DLC (not an ESO+ user)
  • ShamanBebop
    ShamanBebop
    Soul Shriven
    wolf486 wrote: »
    Being fairly new to ESO I ended up altering my main toons name/appearance and purchased one speed upgrade thingy for my mount. Going to buy the place in Greenshade and probably another mount.

Just curious but is it worth spending crowns on the guilds and glory dlc if I'm already an ESO+ subscriber (6months)? Or will there be new things added to the crown store over the next few months?
    I would not buy the Guilds and Glory if you're a ESO+ member, unless you want the Palomino horse, or plan on not having your subscription up all the time.

And they add new things to the crown store all the time, with flash sales over weekends and stuff like that. Almost exclusively cosmetic

PSN: ShamanBebop
    Guild: Eldritch Moon, EP
    PS4/NA
    Dunmer since Daggerfall
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balamoor wrote: »
    Buy tons of crates just to cheese off the haters.

:-)

I spent a ridiculous amount on the crown sale.

I spent a stupid amount on the sale also, but i got a manor and some mundus stones and a few stations a banker and i did buy a few 15 packs of crown crates and i will never buy anymore. I bought 4 15 packs and i think 1 5 pack and on my last 5 i finally got a flame mount (horse) and at the same time i reached 400 of those coins, so i guess ill save those coins for the next cool mount. but for how much money i spent to have JUST gotten the mount is horrible. i mean i spent a lot of money for pixels. BUT it reminded me why i didn't buy them before and i wont buy them again, especially since i can get the next mount already.

but ill probably save my crowns until Jan when i see some more stuff coming out and spend what i have left on maybe a merchant and housing items and costumes

EDIT: until this i was not really against the crates. but you literally have to spend hundreds of $ to get what you want. that's just not right for a game. especially me being a recovering heroin addict I can get addicted to anything so i need to stay away. it definitely feels like gambling when I'm buying them
    Edited by magictucktuck on December 29, 2017 2:34PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres absolutely nothing I fancy in the crown store.

I pretty much have the mounts I want. I'd like the zombie horse but missed it because I was unhappy about having to continually dip my hand in my pocket. I dare say I'll probably grab some crowns since they're on sale but not been too impressed with the offerings this last few months. The last decent thing was the telvanni costume.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • ShamanBebop
    ShamanBebop
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with the people saying to purchase the banker and the merchant if you have excess crowns from ESO+ or are looking to purchase crowns on sale. They are the most beneficial thing in the crown store by far, in my opinion. You will save time and a lot of headache from having to run back and forth to shops in between dungeons.

They are bare bones though, in that you can only sell to the merchant, she does not repair armor. The banker can withdraw and deposit money and items, but doesn't allow access to a guild bank or anything. Still very worth it when you're halfway through a dungeon and you hit item limit and don't wanna destroy half your inventory making room.
    PSN: ShamanBebop
    Guild: Eldritch Moon, EP
    PS4/NA
    Dunmer since Daggerfall
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furcula wrote: »
    With the crown sale going now right now, I'm tempted to buy some crowns myself. However, I don't see what I would ever spend the crowns on?

I have ESO+ so DLCs are out of question. Most good mounts and pets are in crown crates which I mostly refuse to buy. Furnishing items are also ridiculously expensive and not worth it.

Maybe the banker and merchant? Although they are also super expensive and I've been getting along fine without them.

I don't buy Crown Crates either, obviously, so my options are limited. Appearance stuff and mounts is about it, these days. A lot of the stuff isn't really the best looking, or I have no need for it, so pickin's are slim.

ESO Plus now provides the Crowns I need over the 6 month sub. Crown Crates have saved me a boatload of cash, but I recently picked up Crowns for an alt account so I can pick up DLC.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Save them up to buy the dlc´s I still want after subbing for the month it is released in and trying them out (also how I get most crowns in the first place).
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the people saying to purchase the banker and the merchant if you have excess crowns from ESO+ or are looking to purchase crowns on sale. They are the most beneficial thing in the crown store by far, in my opinion. You will save time and a lot of headache from having to run back and forth to shops in between dungeons.

They are bare bones though, in that you can only sell to the merchant, she does not repair armor. The banker can withdraw and deposit money and items, but doesn't allow access to a guild bank or anything. Still very worth it when you're halfway through a dungeon and you hit item limit and don't wanna destroy half your inventory making room.

i thought they were hellishly overpriced til i bought them.

really handy 'in the wild,' as @ShamanBebop has indicated.

• duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been sitting on the pile of crowns... Nothing interesting to get for a while now.. Still waiting for Zenimax to surprise me..
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furcula wrote: »

same, 14k crowns gathering dust
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indeed. There is only so many frilly dresses and tunic type costumes I can handle. When will we get more combat-themed costumes? Polymorphs? Skins? These are the things I want, not another "Redguard blahblahblah Ensemble" or whatever it is that seems to be re-hashed weekly on the crown store.

Zenimax, please let me throw my money at you.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Used my crowns to buy the dlc, even though I'm subbed. If I have to drop the sub for any reason I'll still have access. Other than that I buy all the senche mounts, cat mounts, senche and cat pets, and the wolf mounts/pets. Got one or two of the motifs as well. Otherwise I'm hoping they'll add more stuff to the store instead of the rngesus boxes. I don't mind paying a set price for something I want but I'm not spending an unknown amount to collect stuff I didn't want and can't get rid of.
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CROWNS ARE AWESOME, I LOVE BUYING COSTUMES
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Used my crowns to buy the dlc, even though I'm subbed. If I have to drop the sub for any reason I'll still have access..

This. I did the same thing.

PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For myself I normally buy a stack during a sale then purchase anything which interests me.

I mostly buy Dunmer items (I love Dunmer) I buy one pack of 15 crates each season if there is enough random items I want from them, otherwise I just sit on the crowns until more items I like come along.
    I've got a lot better in the last year in not buying anything "because it's rare and shiny" and really just pick up items which enhance my characters, houses or gameplay.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any one has mentioned it yet, but I would stock up on Horse riding lessons. If you can get those on sale, even better. Very helpful if you make a new toon, especially if that toon is headed to Cyrodiil.
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Houses, furnishings, mounts, appearance stuff (except dyes), personalities, and crates.
    Edited by Pele on January 4, 2018 7:57AM
  • Draeconix
    Draeconix
    ✭✭
    The dye packs in the store are pretty useless. They are one time use. If they actually gave you the dyes forever they may be worth something. Of all the items, the Banker and the Bank space upgrades have been the most useful to me because all of my characters can make use of them. I keep thinking about the merchant but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I just don't seem to be in need of a merchant when out and about as much as I just need a place to stash loot until I can get back to town. I usually need to repair my gear by then as well so a stop a ta merchant in town is warranted anyway.

The other item I find useful are the riding upgrades. YES, I know you can just buy with gold and I shouldn't be spending my money on them but hear me out. First reason is speed. If you don't want to spend 180 days (I know cool down time is 20 hours but lets be honest, it will most likely be 24 hours till you log in again) stopping at the stable every time you log on with your character then these save you tons of time. Also, setting up a new character, these come in very handy. Secondly, they offered a pack, I forget what it was called, but it had 60 of each of the riding upgrades (180 in total) in it along with some other things so I was buying more than just the upgrades but it only cost something like as much as 30 upgrades do regularly so, win win.

Beyond that, I like to tinker with my characters' appearance so any of the cosmetic packs I can acquire I tend to do so. Honestly, 90% of the options I almost never use but the fact that I have all of them available to me makes me feel good. Plus, you never know when you might get the urge to go wild and crazy with the look of a character.

If you can save up your money for the crown sales, I would and then buy as much as you want/can afford. I was looking to spend $100 on crowns before Christmas, with the 50% off sale, I got double the crowns that I would have regularly.
  • Heka Cain
    Heka Cain
    ✭✭✭
    I wear them upon my perfectly formed head.

Signed

John Merrick