The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best Place to Start Catching up on Lore

aphroditex2014
aphroditex2014
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone. I'm somewhat new to ESO. I love the game, but I would like to know the Lore behind everything. Where should I start and where is the best place to go? I would like to learn more about the story before committing to a subscription, and so far, everything really interests me. I started playing when the Thieves Guild came out but had to stop due to medical reasons. Now I have returned and so much has happened. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can someone point me the way?

Thank you. I appreciate it.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    The best place to start would be the UESP, if you don't mind reading. There are also a number of Elder Scrolls lore Youtube series, but take what's said in them with a grain of salt, as they often contain misinformation, misconceptions and subjective statements.
  • uGGo7
    uGGo7
    Great place to start is just read every in-game book you come across! Those are the best source for lore. You can also find books from previous games in The Imperial Library

Another great place to start is UESP where you can just search and read the lore on specific topic

If you enjoy traditional reading more, there are 2 book collection of TESO lorebooks called "Tales of Tamriel" that are just in-game lorebooks in physical form paired with great art work! There are also 3 book collection for ones from TES V called "Skyrim libraries"

And lastly, you can play the games in the main series! Even though TESO is earliest of the series in timeline, the games in main series contain amazing amounts of lore! There are also youtube lore videos, but since TES lore can be bit complicated and often subjective with different outcomes depending what character tells it (good example being death of Indoril Nerevar) and no "solid truths" in many things, I would rather go for in-game sources.
  • aphroditex2014
    aphroditex2014
    Soul Shriven
    uGGo7 wrote: »
    Great place to start is just read every in-game book you come across! Those are the best source for lore. You can also find books from previous games in The Imperial Library

Another great place to start is UESP where you can just search and read the lore on specific topic

If you enjoy traditional reading more, there are 2 book collection of TESO lorebooks called "Tales of Tamriel" that are just in-game lorebooks in physical form paired with great art work! There are also 3 book collection for ones from TES V called "Skyrim libraries"

And lastly, you can play the games in the main series! Even though TESO is earliest of the series in timeline, the games in main series contain amazing amounts of lore! There are also youtube lore videos, but since TES lore can be bit complicated and often subjective with different outcomes depending what character tells it (good example being death of Indoril Nerevar) and no "solid truths" in many things, I would rather go for in-game sources.

You're awesome! Thank you.
    There IS SO MUCH lore that I enjoy the interweaving of stories. I appreciate your help.
  • aphroditex2014
    aphroditex2014
    Soul Shriven
    The best place to start would be the UESP, if you don't mind reading. There are also a number of Elder Scrolls lore Youtube series, but take what's said in them with a grain of salt, as they often contain misinformation, misconceptions and subjective statements.

I dont mind reading this type of stuff. I enjoy this kind of stuff.

Thank you for your help!
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d recommend playing TES III: Morrowind. You learn a lot there.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • tyjoie
    tyjoie
    ✭✭
    If you're new to the Elder Scrolls series as a whole, or simply do not know a lot about lore, and don't want to spends days on end reading through walls of text on wiki's, the ShoddyCast did a great lore series that covers all the basics you'd need to know.

ShoddyCast TES Lore season 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-chDClmdos&list=PL7pGJQV-jlzCPBUy9uAXQUXZ4UBaDLKS5

ShoddyCast TES Lore season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZjneISs-vA&list=PL7pGJQV-jlzB-qocScD0wPA5twwi1IM5p

Some of the lore in this series does take place after the events in ESO, but it doesn't hurt to know if you don't already.
    Ex-Beta tester
    Playing since 2014
    Still a noob
    Green-Sap Loyalist