The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Some questions regarding pvp building.

teiselaise
teiselaise
✭✭✭
So, first here's my "perspective"(in lack of better word).
i have been "making" my own builds since i started playing, by "making" i mean taking what was popular and changing it a little for my playstyle, so i didn't really make them myself, and well, haven't leveled any characters cross level 50 other than my argonian nightblade, who i have been playing for quite a long time now, at the moment i have a mediocre tanking setup for pve content, and a pvp setup witch i use most of the time, its a melee magicka build, i really like it, but would love something more unique, some dude running a really crazy setup earlier today inspired me to get to making my own build from the bottom and up, so well here we go for the questions :) the first is the most important, but the rest are of course important too :))))
  • What is the common stats thresholds, by that i mean, fx 20k health 40k magicka , this and this penetration crit and so on, i know this vary a lot depending on class and just stuff like do you focus on poison, but still :))) give me what ya got.
  • While i know "theory crafting" requires a ton of skill and game knowledge to do, what process do you usually do, what is like, your point you go around, set, race etc.
  • Is there anything i should stay away from :), not the obvious like dont use hundings on mag, but like, ya know.
  • i just realized that i 2 times now used "ya" when i couldn't explain something :(
  • any tips really :) thanks and have a great Christmas
Argonian masterrace
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear that more people are wanting to try their own stuff!

I think the first thing you have to decide is this: Do you want to make builds that are good, or just builds that are fun for you? Prior is of course a lot harder goal to achieve than the latter.

The second piece of advice I'd give is: Try to make testing as cheap as possible. For example, try first in the sub-50 campaign unless your ideas definitely need a specific monster set to work, try the no-CP / less popular campaigns because there you might be able to avoid making everything gold to be viable, etc. Uesp.net also has a fairly accurate build calculator (http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor) that will give you some indication whether some idea might work at all, which can also save you some money in testing. Even so, join a good trading guild and make sure you have a decent source of in game resources so the inevitable mistakes hurt you less.

Third: I don't think there are any specific numbers that you have to hit. It depends so much on what your build is supposed to achieve. For example, if you want to make the best keep defender, you might need very little in terms of resource pools / regen, because you're putting all your eggs in the Vicious Death + siege damage basket. Or maybe your build has mitigation mainly from other sources, like maim / protection / dodge chance / reflect.

And different play styles mean different requirements for minimum pools too. A skilled tree & rock hugger might need less health and stam than someone who wants to play really aggressive. Figure out how you play and what suits your needs.

Good luck!
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for your answer, this is unbelievable helpful, I'll be sure to check out that build calculator too : D
    Argonian masterrace
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pvp setups are definitely one of those things were you may have the best gear combination setup in your mind, but, until you play it - no way to know if it will really be effective...

for my magblade I decided I too wanted to play more of a melee magicka build, which for me meant switching to 5 heavy and boosting up my overall health...took me a while to figure out 5 light didn't really suit my playstyle...

i'm in torug's pact and spinners now...armor/weapon traits, glyphs, champion points and food/drink and potions are where I do most my fine tuning...
    Edited by geonsocal on December 15, 2017 6:53AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    pvp setups are definitely one of those things were you may have the best gear combination setup in your mind, but, until you play it - no way to know if it will really be effective...

for my magblade I decided I too wanted to play more of a melee magicka build, which for me meant switching to 5 heavy and boosting up my overall health...took me a while to figure out 5 light didn't really suit my playstyle...

i'm in torug's pact and spinners now...armor/weapon traits, glyphs, champion points and food/drink and potions are where I do most my fine tuning...

Sounds interesting, I have for a while thought about trying heavy, just never got around to do it.
    Argonian masterrace
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stealth is awesome - i really enjoy though being able to stand and brawl a bit...

being tough to burst down easily makes it so i'm usually able to either win or escape most conflicts...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    stealth is awesome - i really enjoy though being able to stand and brawl a bit...

being tough to burst down easily makes it so i'm usually able to either win or escape most conflicts...

Yeah, one of the reasons for me to try making a bit more of my own build is so I can make something a little more "duely"
    Argonian masterrace
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teiselaise wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your answer, this is unbelievable helpful, I'll be sure to check out that build calculator too : D

After you do everything that was suggested make sure to do the next important thing:
    - ask more questions!

Some people here might be crabby, but overall we will answer any questions.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theory crafting isn't all that hard.

1. What do you want from the character. You might want some RP flavour or just be absolute min/max. All races are enjoyable to play.
    2. Find the sets that offer that. (http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets)
    3. Farm and test. (Part of the fun). Some sets don't compliment eachother well i.e not enough damage.
    4. Use CP, Mundus, food, glyphs to offset the weaknesses.
    5. Play test again in PvP.
    6. If you're happy with the build, upgrade.

I must make a build a week, it's part of the fun of this game for me. I can't just copy paste but can certainly be influenced if something looks awesome.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on December 15, 2017 3:03PM
    PC EU
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i have been "making" my own builds since i started playing, by "making" i mean taking what was popular and changing it a little for my playstyle, so i didn't really make them myself, and well, haven't leveled any characters cross level 50 other than my argonian nightblade, who i have been playing for quite a long time now, at the moment i have a mediocre tanking setup for pve content, and a pvp setup witch i use most of the time, its a melee magicka build, i really like it, but would love something more unique, some dude running a really crazy setup earlier today inspired me to get to making my own build from the bottom and up, so well here we go for the questions :) the first is the most important, but the rest are of course important too :))))
    • What is the common stats thresholds, by that i mean, fx 20k health 40k magicka , this and this penetration crit and so on, i know this vary a lot depending on class and just stuff like do you focus on poison, but still :))) give me what ya got.
    • While i know "theory crafting" requires a ton of skill and game knowledge to do, what process do you usually do, what is like, your point you go around, set, race etc.
    • Is there anything i should stay away from :), not the obvious like dont use hundings on mag, but like, ya know.
    • i just realized that i 2 times now used "ya" when i couldn't explain something :(

There are a lot of approaches besides what's flavor. I like the trial and error approach. For example I have a Mageblade. She's a dunmer who runs 5 Way of the martial knowledge, 1 kena, and 5 Way of fire (a stamina set, yes). Despite 2 of the 4 stats on WoF are quite useless on her (max stamina is always useful on a magicka char), the proc is really, really good (Tooltip around 6k whit minor berserk up). You could say she would never have a kill on cyro... but it works...

It works with an infused flame staff (for range) and a sharpen 2H sword (on close quarters). It procs a lot on force pulse, it procs on 2H light weaving before using CW. 2H full heavy works like a small empower too, so you can hit harder CW or Soul harvest.

It is not a 100% melee mageblade and neither a 100% ranged one. Full heavy + destro reach + bar swap + lotus and CW/Soul harvest is a lot... a lot of dmg you can put in 2 o 3 secs. But you keed to work a lot to get it. While defnding keeps she goes all for force pulse and destro reach.

It's a fun char that, despite not using 2 pieces bonus in its setup, can still manage to put 2~4k dmg each 2 secs

It took me several patches to figure out that build and now I won't change her for anything...
    Edited by Xvorg on December 15, 2017 3:14PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

There are a lot of approaches besides what's flavor. I like the trial and error approach. For example I have a Mageblade. She's a dunmer who runs 5 Way of the martial knowledge, 1 kena, and 5 Way of fire (a stamina set, yes). Despite 2 of the 4 stats on WoF are quite useless on her (max stamina is always useful on a magicka char), the proc is really, really good (Tooltip around 6k whit minor berserk up). You could say she would never have a kill on cyro... but it works...

It works with an infused flame staff (for range) and a sharpen 2H sword (on close quarters). It procs a lot on force pulse, it procs on 2H light weaving before using CW. 2H full heavy works like a small empower too, so you can hit harder CW or Soul harvest.

It is not a 100% melee mageblade and neither a 100% ranged one. Full heavy + destro reach + bar swap + lotus and CW/Soul harvest is a lot... a lot of dmg you can put in 2 o 3 secs. But you keed to work a lot to get it. While defnding keeps she goes all for force pulse and destro reach.

It's a fun char that, despite not using 2 pieces bonus in its setup, can still manage to put 2~4k dmg each 2 secs

It took me several patches to figure out that build and now I won't change her for anything...

This makes me want to search for Stam sets that could benefit my Templar :)
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Actually I always wanted to put WoF in a stam build but I never could do it. Finally the reason why I used it in that char was mainly because I wanted some healthy jewelry on her (as a dunmer, she had a small health pool), and WoF was the only thing available I had in jewelry and weapons xD

edit: by the way, I've always wanted to use storm master on a magicka char
    Edited by Xvorg on December 15, 2017 3:41PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff, I'm certainly going to check some sets and stuff when I get home :) I really love the idea of stam sets on mag chars, once met a dude in cyrodil who ran something similar, can't remember exactly.
    Argonian masterrace
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff, I'm certainly going to check some sets and stuff when I get home :) I really love the idea of stam sets on mag chars, once met a dude in cyrodil who ran something similar, can't remember exactly.

Stam sets on a mag character is one of two things:
    Super good and knows how to manipulate stats to make something work
    Super bad and just slapped it together

Example:
    @Minno makes builds that use something like Prisoners or Trickery
    @scrub uses hundlings on their Magden

It's all about what you want from the build.

Damage, Tank, heals, support or a mixture.

I love the more outlandish ideas myself
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    I was just going to say: Prisoner's Rags is really funny. It's somewhere between a mag and stam set. I use it in my mostly stam hybrid sorc: sprint to regain magicka and then Dark Deal to get back stam. It's not good per se but it is a really funny way to approach sustain. I combo it with Mechanical Acuity for guaranteed surge heals. Just have to remember that I can never take long fights.

Daedric Trickery, that's a set I'd love to love but it's just too much rng for me. Also Specter's Eye, it would be so good if it got buffed just a tiny bit, now that major evasion has been nerfed.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jhharvest wrote: »
    I was just going to say: Prisoner's Rags is really funny. It's somewhere between a mag and stam set. I use it in my mostly stam hybrid sorc: sprint to regain magicka and then Dark Deal to get back stam. It's not good per se but it is a really funny way to approach sustain. I combo it with Mechanical Acuity for guaranteed surge heals. Just have to remember that I can never take long fights.

Daedric Trickery, that's a set I'd love to love but it's just too much rng for me. Also Specter's Eye, it would be so good if it got buffed just a tiny bit, now that major evasion has been nerfed.

Prisoners works really well if you have mobility and a ranged offense. Reason being you can press "shift" in alot of different combinations to get 1k mag in between some of your combos or while sprinting to your target. Like, if you heavy attack in fire/ice staff then instantly press shift, you'll recoup some mag a lot faster than waiting around for mag regen to kick in (works on pets :D ). Also works wonderfully with channeled focus and ele drain; pop drain, hit enemy with a dot, pop channeled focus, reposition on sprint to get 1520 mag each second outside of regen. Only downside is you have crap stam pools :( . It's also independent from regen, so siphoner can't impact its regen. And helps after realizing you got hit with mag cost poisons after your 3rd streak; just find a nice little corner to "sprint".

Trickery, despite RNG, needs minor buffs to help offset the cooldowns. Luckily it works really well for templars; mostly because we gain back major healing bonuses that zos removed to make the warden attractive. And there are two health buffs in that set, making it a 2/5 chance to boost your heals (40% chance to get a 30% heal boost). Just needs damage and another survival set to make the best of it since you have to drag on fights to get the most out of the RNG.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I always wanted to put WoF in a stam build but I never could do it. Finally the reason why I used it in that char was mainly because I wanted some healthy jewelry on her (as a dunmer, she had a small health pool), and WoF was the only thing available I had in jewelry and weapons xD

Not a MA set, but Thunderpug (pun intended lol) looks like a nice mix between a dmg set and a defense set. 2975 resists at gold level, with ammy having arcane trait. I could pair that with trickery on a jabs build; bring back aoe passive dmg that blazing shield used to bring combined with the major heal bonuses ZoS took away from templars.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not a MA set, but Thunderpug (pun intended lol) looks like a nice mix between a dmg set and a defense set. 2975 resists at gold level, with ammy having arcane trait. I could pair that with trickery on a jabs build; bring back aoe passive dmg that blazing shield used to bring combined with the major heal bonuses ZoS took away from templars.

I tried thunderbug on my DK... it was good, but later I get bored of the "always the same" playing style DKs are forced into. I suppose on a templar could be better.

Though now I'm considering it again for a Shock Wolf build (yup, a Werewolf with shock dmg)

The other build I'm considering is a WW with Ice furnace, but IDK if Ice Furnace procs on ice glyphs... it should.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried thunderbug on my DK... it was good, but later I get bored of the "always the same" playing style DKs are forced into. I suppose on a templar could be better.

Though now I'm considering it again for a Shock Wolf build (yup, a Werewolf with shock dmg)

The other build I'm considering is a WW with Ice furnace, but IDK if Ice Furnace procs on ice glyphs... it should.

For Templars, if you roll Breton, you can add more physical mitigation and it makes sense to have it on your front bar with a ranged backbar for buffs. But I can see why it would be boring on DKs.

Knowing zos, ice furnace probably doesn't proc in ice glyths lol. But I haven't tested.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    so I did my first random bg today and pretty much got wrecked the whole time, can you guys tell me some good gear sets as well as maybe a bar setup or two for a MagSoc in pvp? I really wanna get my pvp side started but theres no way ill keep playing it if its anything like Today's was.
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Who disturbs the eternal sleep of my discussion!? Necromancers?
    Argonian masterrace
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so I did my first random bg today and pretty much got wrecked the whole time, can you guys tell me some good gear sets as well as maybe a bar setup or two for a MagSoc in pvp? I really wanna get my pvp side started but theres no way ill keep playing it if its anything like Today's was.

You know, getting beat in PvP is often more about your skill level and the skill level of your opponent than the gear you are wearing...

I have worn complete junk (Almalexia's Mercy and Prayer Shawl) and have been successful against opponents that I know were wearing Wizards Riposte (which is a pretty good gear set)...

PvP in this game has a very steep learning curve....

You gonna have to take some beatings to figure it out...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s