The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sharpened Greatsword vs. Nirnhoned Maul

Berenhir
Berenhir
✭✭✭✭✭
Speaking PvP - how do those two options compare concerning effective penetration and damage increase? I know that a nirnhoned greatsword is best against shielded targets and that a sharpened maul helps against a pariah brass chudan pirate stamdk brawler. And I know that a precise axe with poisons helps against permablockers.

Question is: what is the best choice for a balanced approach overworld cyrodiil playing (not ganking) with a stamina nightblade (Uptime of major fracture thus 90%)?
PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nirn Maul all the way. For basically every class. Nirnhoned gives you both damage and healing while the Maul provides penetration that can get higher than what Sharpened gives depending on the armor value of your target. And your own penetration doesn't affect it (CP for example won't reduce the effectiveness of a Maul, but Major Fracture would).

For duels you want the Nirnhoned Battle Axe though. That bleed is ridiculously strong.

But yeah, whatever you do, use Nirnhoned.
    Edited by Izaki on December 13, 2017 12:24PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, I find my sharpened greatsword somehow feel faster than my nirn maul.
    Maybe Its just my imagination, but still, in the end I ended up with greatsword.

btw you don't need to go sharpened on greatsword, just go nirn anyways, It outperforms sharpened.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 13, 2017 12:56PM