The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Flaming fire logs, a solution

davey1107
davey1107
✭✭✭✭✭
In another thread we were discussing some solutions for those who don’t want to pay crowns for flaming fire logs for their fireplaces. A trick is to buy unlit logs for in game gold, then place a flaming furnishing in them to give them the appearance of burning. I found a solution some might like, so I think it deserves its own thread.

For those who have the Snow Bare Plunge achievement from the New Life Festival (which is likely to run again soon), the holiday achievement furnisher in the capital cities will sell a New Life Bonfire.

Ok, so the down side is they cost 10k gold (meh) and they’re a giant, raging fire, lol. But it’s one of the best open flames I’ve found, and it’s wood, and it can be stacked with fireplace logs (or just used by itself).

But here’s a trick. It has large flames and billowing black smoke. Some of you might complain about all that smoke, which does sort of pour up out of the chimney even if you push the bonfire way down into the floor. HOWEVER...the flames always flicker up, while the smoke billows in the direction the bonfire is pointed. So turn it sideways or upside down, and the flames still go up but the smoke disappears into the floor or wall.

This would probably not work well on second stories...the bonfire is about 6 ft tall, so it’ll go through the floor into the downstairs.

I am also sneaking onto my friends account later this week and setting his house on fire. It’ll cost like $200k but it’ll be totally hilarious when he goes to Matheson and the whole front of the house is engulfed in flames.
Edited by davey1107 on December 11, 2017 9:22AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »

I am also sneaking onto my friends account later this week and setting his house on fire. It’ll cost like $200k but it’ll be totally hilarious when he goes to Matheson and the whole front of the house is engulfed in flames.

Nice fix, and this it cracked me up ha! nice work
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davey1107

Too bad you're on ps4..I'd visit your house!

Thank you for the tips! Will try it as soon as I unlock the achievement this year!
    The bonfire itself is a great item!

I have weakness for light sources and .........trees..
    I have only two houses: one small and one bigger (called "classic").. and both have courtyards.. I am going to make the courtyards look like jungles. :P
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a PvP achievement. Its a burning oil pot. It has an insane amount of warm red ambient lighting, fire and smoke.
    This plus charred logs would do the trick.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yolokin_Swagonborn

Awesome recommendation! The flaming oil achievement item might be the best option yet.

I tested it, and it works great. Note that you can turn it upside down and still get the full flame, but less smoke. It still smokes upside down, but half the animation goes away so it’s not so prolific.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. I'm glad this works. The oil also has a sound but i have gotten used to it at my place.