Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Melee Dps?

Pilehymer
Pilehymer
Soul Shriven
I have nothing against Bows or Ranged Spells, But I have a MagSorc and just got her to lvl 50 and that was plenty enough Ranged play for me.
I'm wanting an in your face melee DPS build, but everything I see in guides and in-game aren't (IMO) true Melee builds, as they all seem to use a Bow + 2Handed or Bow + Dual wield. I want something that is pure Melee, and will be viable from lvl 1-50 and onward gaining CP levels.

I still consider myself a newb, as I have numerous Toons, but only 2 at lvl 50. And one of them is pretty much useless (and an embarrassment to his fellow DK's). A DragonKnight Redguard I made way back when the game first came out, and only unlocked 1 branch of my Class Skills, Spread my stats all over the board, and Honestly can't even remember what I was trying to do with him. I did consider reworking his Skills and Stats, but I'd prefer a fresh start to get a "feel" for the skills and the Char itself.
I just want a built that can be used in all aspects of PvE, Solo and Group play. I don't need to be Godly, but I don't want to be a burden in group dungeons either.

Any suggestions? I need a complete breakdown if anyone would be so kind. Race, Class, Skills, ect.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me out.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can suggest a pure Melee DPS/Tank build. This build is designed to solo public dungeons and be a very efficient tank for normal dungeons.

Class: Stamina Sorcerer
    Race: Imperial (Though any race will be effective, I've done this on a Breton in a pinch as well)

DPS Bar: Dual Wield
    Crit Surge, Flurry, Evil Hunter, Twin Slashes/Whirlwind/Blade Cloak, Hurricane, Ultimate: Dawnbreaker
    (You could use Trap Beast if you have the sustain for adding that in the rotation.)

Tanking Bar: One Handed & Shield
    Crit Surge, Vigor, Caltrops, Pierce Armor (Taunt), Hurricane, Ultimate: Negate (This stuns mobs and makes them super easy to kill)
    (I double-bar Crit Surge and Hurricane for ease of use. Caltrops comes from PVP and is a DOT and a source of crowd control. Encase makes a good substitute for Caltrops until you get it. Vigor may or may not be necessary but its handy to have that on demand self heal or for running with 3 DPS. If you prefer Dark Deal, use that.)
    (You could probably replace One Hand and Shield with Two-handed if you don't want to tank. Two-Handed will give you access to an execute, which this build lacks.)

Gear:
    You can do almost anything with this build. If you want to go really tanky, grab tank gear like Ebon Armory. If you want to go more DPS, grab some standard DPS sets. However, I've built mine to do a ton of passive AOE damage.
    Passive AoE Gear set-up: 5 Thunderbug (does shock damage when hit) + 5 Syvarra's Scales (Does poison damage when attacking) + 2 Stormfist (does shock damage on proc)
    All of these do AoE damage without having to use skills, allowing me to focus on tanking, mechanics, or DPS. It is extremely effective with trash mobs and public dungeon mobs. With Thunderbug and Stormfist both doing shock damage, there are a lot of chances for the sorc Implosion to proc.

Using the AoE gear detailed above, the rotation is:
    Crit Surge -> Hurricane -> throw Caltrops on the mob->Pierce Armor to taunt anything needing to be taunted-> Bar Swap
    On Dual Wield -> Flurry or Whirlwind while weaving heavy attacks until you need to restart Hurricane/Caltrops/Pierce Armor
    If leveling the stam sorc, Hurricane -> Pierce Armor -> Flurry is pretty effective.

Its a pretty simple rotation where I can focus on single target damage while my 3 gear sets and Hurricane throw AoE damage on everything around me.
    Tanking: I've got about 25K health when tanking and have successfully tanked most normal group dungeons with this build. I was very pleased with its performance in normal White Gold Tower because the extra DPS really made the tanky mobs go quicker while still being able to complete mechanics. I do have to be careful, its not as sturdy as a pure tank. Respect the boss mechanics in harder normals. If you take this build into Vet Dungeons, I recommend using tankier gear than the AoE gear for normals. I could do easy Vets with this build, but I had to be extremely careful on final boss mechanics compared to my pure tank.
    DPS: This build will not do as much DPS as a pure DPS, but it does more DPS than a pure tank. Now, players have different benchmarks for what is "good" DPS and much of that comes down to player skill with the rotation and animation canceling. So I'll compare my numbers to myself, understanding that you may have a different result, but the proportions should be similar. My Pure Tank does 4-6K single target DPS on most final bosses. My Pure DPS stam sorc does around 15-16k single target DPS on most final bosses. This build, the DPS/Tank Stam Sorc does around 8-9k single target DPS on final bosses. That's sufficient for nearly any normal dungeon boss and will let you add a lot of DPS to a slow group while still effectively tanking for a fast group.

Hope this helps! I've really enjoyed playing this build. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Pilehymer
    Pilehymer
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, and taking the time to reply! That does sound like a fun build, and I think I'll give it a try during my time off work over Holidays.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can suggest a pure Melee DPS/Tank build. This build is designed to solo public dungeons and be a very efficient tank for normal dungeons.

Race: Imperial (Though any race will be effective, I've done this on a Breton in a pinch as well)

Crit Surge, Flurry, Evil Hunter, Twin Slashes/Whirlwind/Blade Cloak, Hurricane, Ultimate: Dawnbreaker
    (You could use Trap Beast if you have the sustain for adding that in the rotation.)

Crit Surge, Vigor, Caltrops, Pierce Armor (Taunt), Hurricane, Ultimate: Negate (This stuns mobs and makes them super easy to kill)
    (I double-bar Crit Surge and Hurricane for ease of use. Caltrops comes from PVP and is a DOT and a source of crowd control. Encase makes a good substitute for Caltrops until you get it. Vigor may or may not be necessary but its handy to have that on demand self heal or for running with 3 DPS. If you prefer Dark Deal, use that.)
    (You could probably replace One Hand and Shield with Two-handed if you don't want to tank. Two-Handed will give you access to an execute, which this build lacks.)

Gear:
    You can do almost anything with this build. If you want to go really tanky, grab tank gear like Ebon Armory. If you want to go more DPS, grab some standard DPS sets. However, I've built mine to do a ton of passive AOE damage.
    Passive AoE Gear set-up: 5 Thunderbug (does shock damage when hit) + 5 Syvarra's Scales (Does poison damage when attacking) + 2 Stormfist (does shock damage on proc)
    All of these do AoE damage without having to use skills, allowing me to focus on tanking, mechanics, or DPS. It is extremely effective with trash mobs and public dungeon mobs. With Thunderbug and Stormfist both doing shock damage, there are a lot of chances for the sorc Implosion to proc.

Crit Surge -> Hurricane -> throw Caltrops on the mob->Pierce Armor to taunt anything needing to be taunted-> Bar Swap
    On Dual Wield -> Flurry or Whirlwind while weaving heavy attacks until you need to restart Hurricane/Caltrops/Pierce Armor
    If leveling the stam sorc, Hurricane -> Pierce Armor -> Flurry is pretty effective.

Its a pretty simple rotation where I can focus on single target damage while my 3 gear sets and Hurricane throw AoE damage on everything around me.
    Tanking: I've got about 25K health when tanking and have successfully tanked most normal group dungeons with this build. I was very pleased with its performance in normal White Gold Tower because the extra DPS really made the tanky mobs go quicker while still being able to complete mechanics. I do have to be careful, its not as sturdy as a pure tank. Respect the boss mechanics in harder normals. If you take this build into Vet Dungeons, I recommend using tankier gear than the AoE gear for normals. I could do easy Vets with this build, but I had to be extremely careful on final boss mechanics compared to my pure tank.
    DPS: This build will not do as much DPS as a pure DPS, but it does more DPS than a pure tank. Now, players have different benchmarks for what is "good" DPS and much of that comes down to player skill with the rotation and animation canceling. So I'll compare my numbers to myself, understanding that you may have a different result, but the proportions should be similar. My Pure Tank does 4-6K single target DPS on most final bosses. My Pure DPS stam sorc does around 15-16k single target DPS on most final bosses. This build, the DPS/Tank Stam Sorc does around 8-9k single target DPS on final bosses. That's sufficient for nearly any normal dungeon boss and will let you add a lot of DPS to a slow group while still effectively tanking for a fast group.

Hope this helps! I've really enjoyed playing this build. Let me know if you have any questions!

There are very high chances that you'd do more DPS by slotting a Bow with Endless Hail and Injection instead of your DW bar ^^

As far as full melee builds go, they work in PvP, but they don't work in endgame PvE. depends on what you want to do :)
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »

Gear:

There are very high chances that you'd do more DPS by slotting a Bow with Endless Hail and Injection instead of your DW bar ^^

As far as full melee builds go, they work in PvP, but they don't work in endgame PvE. depends on what you want to do :)

First off, the OP asked for a PURE MELEE BUILD. So, no bow. Secondly, this isn't a pure DPS build. Its a DPS designed to tank random normals and hold boss aggro when I'm running with low levels or 3 DDs. Hence, the One-Hand and Shield.

Finally, I have a Pure DPS Stam Sorc who does exactly what you suggest. DW/Bow with endless hail and poison injection instead of Vigor and Caltrops, Trap Beat on her DW bar. That's the Pure DPS Stam Sorc I talk about getting 15-16k single target DPS. Its a good build, but its off-topic for what the OP asked for.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First of all, if you don't want to do veteran contend you can play whatever you wan't as everything is so easy it simply doesn't matter. However if you wan't to progress further in PvE a staminabuild without a bow will not work. This is mainly because a bow is by far the strongest backbar weapon and that is because it has two incredibly strong DOTs that get even stronger via your bow passives. If you have a MSA-bow, which is standard in endgame PvE, your Endless Hail will on it's own do more damage then any other attack. So a bow is used to DOT up the target and then switch to your DW/2H bar for higher stats and fight on that bar until you reapply your bow-DOTs. Other weapons don't work for that as they don't have those DOTs and a build without strong DOTs will not work as a spamable will never do more damage then a few DOTs stacked.

Damn...that was a lot of "DOTs"...

Another factor is that you can still keep a good amount of your DPS up when you have to leave the melee position.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is to dust off that Redgaurd DK, which is probably the best class/race combo in the game to pull high melee damage.

Melee DPS do use bows on the back bar, but really you only slot if for 2/3 skills. Poison injection, Endless Hail, and perhaps the bow ultimate. On a DK, you will likely only use the first two. Both can be cast just fine with your nose on the boss.

If you refuse to run a bow, then you could back bar a DW/2H, but it really wont serve a purpose. You will spend more time on your front bar in the bosses face with your DW no matter whats on your back bar.

Also, the notion of being able to do no damage from range is a pretty poor decision in my mind. Many bosses have mechanics that force you out of melee for short periods. Good players use those times to reapply all of their back bar DOTs from their bow bars, so they dont lose out on damage.

If you want to play a melee magic build, you could roll a magic templar or magic DK. both keep you in close range, but they just cant compete with their stamina counterparts. You will also be using Destro staffs on both bars, which might break your melee immersion. Most end game trial groups have 4 range and 4 melee spots. You will struggle to get a melee spot on any magic build if the group is remotely good.

If you want to play a melee stamina build, you are gimping yourself very hard if you dont slot a bow on your back bar. I assure you that, you can still be very "in your face" with a bow on your back bar. On my stamina toons, its nose on the boss unless their is a big red circle under his feet. In which case, all "pure melee" dps are either dead DPS or no DPS (or both).
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on December 12, 2017 7:10PM
  • Pilehymer
    Pilehymer
    Soul Shriven
    My advice is to dust off that Redguard DK, which is probably the best class/race combo in the game to pull high melee damage.

Melee DPS do use bows on the back bar, but really you only slot if for 2/3 skills. Poison injection, Endless Hail, and perhaps the bow ultimate. On a DK, you will likely only use the first two. Both can be cast just fine with your nose on the boss.

If you refuse to run a bow, then you could back bar a DW/2H, but it really wont serve a purpose. You will spend more time on your front bar in the bosses face with your DW no matter whats on your back bar.

Also, the notion of being able to do no damage from range is a pretty poor decision in my mind. Many bosses have mechanics that force you out of melee for short periods. Good players use those times to reapply all of their back bar DOTs from their bow bars, so they dont lose out on damage.

If you want to play a melee magic build, you could roll a magic templar or magic DK. both keep you in close range, but they just cant compete with their stamina counterparts. You will also be using Destro staffs on both bars, which might break your melee immersion. Most end game trial groups have 4 range and 4 melee spots. You will struggle to get a melee spot on any magic build if the group is remotely good.

If you want to play a melee stamina build, you are gimping yourself very hard if you dont slot a bow on your back bar. I assure you that, you can still be very "in your face" with a bow on your back bar. On my stamina toons, its nose on the boss unless their is a big red circle under his feet. In which case, all "pure melee" dps are either dead DPS or no DPS (or both).

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I haven't really experienced end-game yet. And only recently started running Dungeons. I'm still in the process of learning the mechanics of many aspects of the game.
    I do want to be able to eventually run all the content the game has to offer, So I guess I will need to re-evaluate my disdain towards Bow/Ranged skills.
    Honestly, I was quite surprised that I stuck with my MagSorc all the way to 50. But she just doesn't seem fill that niche of a Main Char for me.
    I do like @VaranisArano's StamSorc suggestion, But also don't want to gimp myself later.
    Having completed the Main Story, and Morrowind a few times now, I feel comfortable power leveling a new Toon here or there.
    So I will take Your advice, And start Swapping a Bow in and out of rotation on one of my other 'Works in Progress" so I can maybe learn to like it, or at least be competent enough with it to benifit from it.
    And also use @VaranisArano's build for when I'm just running around Solo, which I do a lot!

Thanks everyone for the much needed advice, builds, recommendations. This will definitely set me in the right direction!

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could easily add a bow to my stam sorc build.

If you want a tank, go One-hand & Shield/Bow. In place of the dual wield skills, you'll want Endless Hail and Poison Injection. Both can be done while you are right in the boss' face and will give you options when you have to tank the boss from range (Vila Theran can be hard to melee, for example).

If you want a DPS, I go DW/Bow. Again with the Endless Hail and Poison Injection on the bow bar. That's a more traditional stam sorc build anyway.
    My Stam Sorc DPS:
    DW bar: Crit Surge, Flurry, Evil Hunter, Trap Beast, Hurricane -Ultimate: Flawless Dawnbreaker
    Bow Bar: Crit Surge, Endless Hail, Vigor, Poison Injection, Hurricane - Ultimate: Negate
    Flex skills: Swap Evil Hunter for Steel Tornado on trash mobs, Caltrops, Dark Deal, You can also use the Overload Ultimate to gain access to a third bar for skills when you have the ultimate active.
    Note: I double bar Crit Surge and Hurricane for an easy rotation, that's not necessary.
    Gear: Pretty much any decent DPS set.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You could easily add a bow to my stam sorc build.

If you want a tank, go One-hand & Shield/Bow. In place of the dual wield skills, you'll want Endless Hail and Poison Injection. Both can be done while you are right in the boss' face and will give you options when you have to tank the boss from range (Vila Theran can be hard to melee, for example).

It's not hard to melee Vila Theran. Living for long afterwards is a different matter.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s because endless hail and poison injection are so strong. If you’re a casual player, play however you like. If you want to run endgame vet content then you’ll either need to run the combo that gives best dps or find a group that you can run with that doesn’t mind things taking longer.
  • LejonTryne

Gear:

I like your build so i will test it! But what about the Attributes points and CP later on? What should put the points on?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LejonTryne wrote: »

Gear:

I like your build so i will test it! But what about the Attributes points and CP later on? What should put the points on?

So for attributes, go mostly stam after you've got enough health to be comfortable. Since I tank normal dungeons with this character, it's got around 25K health with some heavy armor passives, but since I used the imperial race, there's some extra health from the racial passives. As for CP, I tend not to be too precise with those. I'd recommend going with whatever CP distribution you want for a stamina DPS. This character is designed to be very forgiving in normal dungeons, so there's a lot of room for you to tweak where you put the CP or attributes to make the build better or to fit your style. The highlight of the build is stacking passive aoe damage through Thunderbug, Syvarra's Scales, Stormfist, and Hurricane (possibly Blade Cloak if you can sustain it in the rotation) so you are sort of free to do what you want with CP to support that.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just spotted this thread and it reminded me of how I always wanted to see what sort of DPS double dual wield would offer.
    My dual wield bar always has Infused on the off-hand weapon and nirnhorned on the main hand weapon to push weapon damage pretty high. With double Dual wield the average weapon damage goes up and you get to slot 4 different enchantments that proc loads of damage and self-buffing.

It also gives the chance to slot sets that will carry over damage as you swap between bars, like 2 Night Mothers Gaze weapons on the back bar and something like 2 War Machine or Mechanical acuity on the front bar. This weapon set swapping feature lets you wear a Monster helmet and 3 x agility jewelry while also slotting 2 x five piece sets.

I'm missing 2 dots by dropping the bow, so I tested it on my stamina nightblade which already has a relatively high chunk of %direct damage with 40 CPs in master at arms.

26nSHOzJSCSsd1hZDKmKaA.png

It's not a bad parse for me personally, I usually get 35k dps with cheap green potions and the generic DW/Bow build. So maybe there's a 10% drop in DPS. The only ranged skills I slotted are Caltrops and flying blade. I threw stuff together that I had laying around and tried this only once, I'm sure it could be better.