Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

After 500 Hours of starting new builds and never hitting 50, I get bored trying to hit 50.

TheSwimmingToast
TheSwimmingToast
Soul Shriven
I love this game, but I kinda ruined it for myself. I have probably played like 10 different build w/ Different races, classes, etc. got to usually between lvl-10-35, then got bored, waited a few weeks, and started a new build. Right now Im a lvl 21 Kajhit Sorc (dual weild stanima) and its pretty fun for now, But I know that Ill get to like 35 and then get bored again. I usually just solo PVE my way through the game, occasionally do a dungeon to level up faster, and its still fun, I just eventually get bored. I need to know if end game is really fun or something so I can have an incentive for reaching it, and what the communities input on this is. Again I love this game, this is just something that has happened to me.
I was on the swim team in high school, and they called me "Toast". I hope this clears up any confusion.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably help a bit if you could elaborate a little more on exactly what ends up boring you. Is it that the content is too 'easy' and your 'face rolling' everything? Is it the 'grind' to get to 50 that bores you?

If it's because of 'face roll' easy and not really a challenge, then yes, end game (vet trials, vet dlc dungeons) will probably suit you.

If it's because the 'grind' is boring you, well then your are probably not going to enjoy the CP grind to get to 'end game' viable either.

I started out playing this game mostly solo. Made goods friends along the way and now predominantly run group over solo, and i must admit, it is far more enjoyable having a laugh with good friends failing difficult content as a group together for the first time than simply not doing group content. my .02 anyways. take a chance, group up with people, join a laid back guild and see how it goes.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After CP 160 you then get to play the game in a whole new way, because suddenly you've reached maximum level for armor, which means you'll be able to collect matching armor sets that you never have to worry about out-leveling. It's a fun challenge to come up with a winning armor set for your character, and finding two different sets that compliment each other to make your char the best he can be.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SydneyGrey is right ... theorycrafting end game builds is more fun, IMO, because you have access to a bigger variety of gear.

That said, play however you want. No one is going to judge you because you enjoy leveling more than having characters at the CP cap.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 5, 2017 6:07PM
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends. Once you reach end-game you'll sooooo many things to do. But then once you reach CP cap, you'll be like: "What do I do now?". But still I'd say that there's a lot of content yet to see for you.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • TheSwimmingToast
    TheSwimmingToast
    Soul Shriven
    It would probably help a bit if you could elaborate a little more on exactly what ends up boring you. Is it that the content is too 'easy' and your 'face rolling' everything? Is it the 'grind' to get to 50 that bores you?

If it's because of 'face roll' easy and not really a challenge, then yes, end game (vet trials, vet dlc dungeons) will probably suit you.

If it's because the 'grind' is boring you, well then your are probably not going to enjoy the CP grind to get to 'end game' viable either.

I started out playing this game mostly solo. Made goods friends along the way and now predominantly run group over solo, and i must admit, it is far more enjoyable having a laugh with good friends failing difficult content as a group together for the first time than simply not doing group content. my .02 anyways. take a chance, group up with people, join a laid back guild and see how it goes.

I guess it is pretty easy, and I've never actually noticed this. Lots of clicking and spamming 1-5 and R for now, occasionally press "Q", and lot of running back and forth doing that. I like gear, thats fun, also I've worn myself out I guess because I've spent so many hours in the game without a sense of like "fulfillment" or something.
    I was on the swim team in high school, and they called me "Toast". I hope this clears up any confusion.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is pretty easy, and I've never actually noticed this. Lots of clicking and spamming 1-5 and R for now, occasionally press "Q", and lot of running back and forth doing that. I like gear, thats fun, also I've worn myself out I guess because I've spent so many hours in the game without a sense of like "fulfillment" or something.

Well, then to the point @SydneyGrey made, the game becomes a different 'beast' at CP160. I've encountered a wide range of player skill level in the 3 years i've played . There are players that will find overland / normal dungeons easy, others will not. It sounds like you are in the former. The leap from normal to veteran is fairly drastic. You will find a challenge in vet content that you don't get from overland / normal. Vet DLC even more so.

A sense of fulfillment is going to be subjective from player to player. I am currently deriving my sense of fulfillment from checking off in game achievements in the journal, getting final pieces of gear for alts. Others will get their fulfillment from purchasing all the homes in game, others simply from PvPing, etc. I guess bottom line is you will have to set some sort of goal for yourself, whatever that may be, otherwise you have nothing to work toward and thereby feel 'unfulfilled'.
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting to read all the different perspectives. Mine is a little different then most.I enjoy the leveling process. I have ten characters at level 50 and I spend most of my time in game on characters under 50. I have the level 50's mostly to build up my CP.

I will add my suggestion to the list of those that encourage you to do what you enjoy.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sounds like you’ve over alt’ed my friend and by repeating the same stuffs gets monotonous maybe turn one into a pvp monster many say that’s the end game
    I couldn’t even keep an alt past level 10 before I’d delete it
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• SeanBlader
    SeanBlader
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was the only one. I lost track of the number of characters I've deleted. I just finally got my first character to level 30 today, and I've been playing off and on since launch (mostly off though). I think I've settled on a setup I can enjoy, but it's kind of alternating through 3 characters, Magplar, TankBlade, and an Arcane Archer, or I guess in this game that would be called a StamSorc. I've historically been an archer gamer, that's what I do most of the time in Skyrim. But since I suck, I have a hard time getting through a lot of content, with my several prior builds as an archer, including a Templar archer, and a Nightblade archer. The StamSorc just feels better, at least as long as I can keep Surge running now that I have it. The TankBlade is a little more forgiving in if I forget to run Siphoning Strikes, I can at least survive a mob or two.

For me it's mostly about the character story, of which the Magplar has one. She's gonna be Archmage someday, and is just planning to scour Tamriel finding all the lost Tomes and exploring all the things, also I want to see if she can work with 3 Mages guild skills on her bar, but so far she's been soloing decently with an Ice Staff making her survivable. The other two don't really have a story, but they give me a break at this point from doing one thing all the time. I've been trying to play the StamSorc, but when I die and get frustrated I'll jump on the TankBlade and just handily walk through stuff. And then when melee is getting boring, I'll go exploring for more books. I was thinking after Stormhaven I might take one character to Wrothgar, and another to Morrowind just to mix it up, if I get that far.

I think part of it is that the main story isn't quite that compelling between sections, and that there's so much stuff to do between the different missions that I forget where we were so there's not a real rush incentive to get to that next step. I dig that each zone has it's own unique storyline, that's very cool, but there's not a real sense of immediate threat from them, nor is there really anything that interesting to make me want to go through that next big area. But at least at this point I'm not horribly annoyed with the builds I'm playing.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol bored after only 500 hours? I have almost 3500 hours in the game and I am still collecting all the armor and weapons that tickle my fancy. Also have 10 max level toons.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally find the grind to level 50 a bit dull...perhaps doing this over and over is part of your problem. It’s not clear why you would level a character to 35 then delete them, erasing all of the work. Your account allows for 8-14 characters...just use another slot and come back to the other character later if they’re boring you.

Broadly, for a vet character there are certain categories of play you can do:

1. Questing, following the various storylines.

2. Delving and doing easier dungeons, working up skills, obtaining skill points or farming for gear and stuff.

3. 4-player group dungeons. Of which, many can be solo on normal level so that you can challenge yourself this way.

4. Truly endgame vet content, like trials and vet dungeons.

5. pvp in Cyrodiil or battlegrounds

6. The various other ways to spend time in game, like selling, crafting, furnishing, etc. A lot of players enjoy these systems, so let’s not overlook them.

7. The “gear game,” which consumes a lot of time for vets. Let’s define this as doing any of the above in order to equip your character with the right gear so that they perform as well as possible for your class and playstyle.

Do at least some of these appeal to you? If so, I’d recommend leveling a toon to vet, working on CPs, and focusing on the categories that seem fun. If none of these sound fun, then this might not be the game for you.

Being a vet opens more opportunities for your character, but mostly through the more social aspects of the game. Quests and delves don’t change that much. But the group content brings in a very different type of play, both pvp and pve. This might offer new challenges that help you appreciate your characters’ stengths And weaknesses, and makes you want to hone them.

My advice - pick your favorite toon (a stam sorc is a decent choice), work to vet, then start exploring some of the content that allows. Try some undaunted normal dungeons, either in a group or alone. Work on your CPs...it will only take a few weeks to get to cp160 even if you only play a little each day. Then you can play with end game gear setups and see how this changes things.
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this game, but I kinda ruined it for myself. I have probably played like 10 different build w/ Different races, classes, etc. got to usually between lvl-10-35, then got bored, waited a few weeks, and started a new build. Right now Im a lvl 21 Kajhit Sorc (dual weild stanima) and its pretty fun for now, But I know that Ill get to like 35 and then get bored again. I usually just solo PVE my way through the game, occasionally do a dungeon to level up faster, and its still fun, I just eventually get bored. I need to know if end game is really fun or something so I can have an incentive for reaching it, and what the communities input on this is. Again I love this game, this is just something that has happened to me.

ok, cya, have a fun
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheSwimmingToast : Davey gave you a great list of things to do in this game. It really has a ton of content, from purely casual players (overland quests) to hardcore endgame pros (vet trials like Halls of Fabrication or Asylum Sanctorium). There's lots to do for every level of skill and mood you're in.

Have you tried everything Davey listed, and are still bored? Then this game might indeed not be the right thing for you. :)

I personally currently have 10 champion level characters, of which 7 are actively played more or less regularly. I do group content in the three roles damage dealer, healer and tank. I do quests and dailies in factions and DLC areas, organizing gear, trading, sometimes farming and fishing.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the feeling because the game is missing a middle ground.

Overland combat is easy but you can play what you want, enjoying combat as whatever build is most enjoyable to you and even going full hybrid.

Then endgame jumps up to super high action one-shots where min-max is the standard and 80% of the builds that people leveled up using no longer work. On my alts I actually stopped doing end game entirely because it's boring playing cookie cutter roles and draining having to constantly be on your A-game with few breaks in between enemies.

There's no middle ground. No spot where content isn't supercharged octane nor braindead simple. CPs add a lot of power to a character even using non-set gear pieces. Avoiding CPs still leaves a game that on the overland is quite simple to survive in with a full build and leveled skills. The most challenging thing is soloing world bosses and that's borderline dungeon content but with breathing room after the fight.

Since the build I most enjoy is also not optimal for endgame, or even feasible, but works well enough in PVP, I usually just go to Cyrodil and farm players or content for kicks. But every few months the same thing happens. You're overpowered, even as a normal character with base stats and too many skill points, and can easily dominate overland combat. Yet dungeons are the polar opposite, demanding specific setups and playstyles because that's how the content is designed.