Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Becoming PvP Ready

NishBoyNish
NishBoyNish
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

I picked up this game recently and am level 20 so far on my magicka nightblade. I'm very interested in PvP, but it seems kind of intimidating seeing how much you have to do to really be ready for PvP, in terms of skill points, getting CPs, getting gear, etc. My question is, what is the best way to acquire the gear I need, like, do I need to level crafting or will it be dropped at higher levels, and also how do I level quickly.

Thanks
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing that you can do is to go to Cyrodiil and join a group and have fun.

There a many builds available (google "Magicka Nightblade PvP build ESO" for examples) They will give you some ideas on what skills are useful and what skills/armor sets you can look forward to.

As to how to level quickly... If you have never played this game before I can not stress enough that you should play through the story-line or you miss what makes this game so great. If you don't enjoy the journey then it will seem like a grind when you get to level 50 and realize that you still need to grind out 160 cp points just to get started. Enjoy the game and then the grind will be pleasant. Focus on the end and I believe you will make the game seem tedious.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NishBoyNish, you can buy low level purple PvP gear at the Cyrodiil capturable towns. They are only 12k AP per ... but the coffers are a random piece. Meaning you’ll probably need 100k-300k AP to get a functional 5-pc set.

The other option is crafting a couple of sets ... or having someone craft sets for you. The downside of crafted is you’ll need to get jewelry elsewhere.

Fortunately for you, there are enough skill points out there for an enterprising player to level crafting quickly ... without losing any edge in combat. You’ll have to spend some time on skyshards and public dungeon events. But, it’s worth it in the end in my opinion.

To illustrate both of the above points, I made a full set of Telvanni armor (less helm) for my lowbie Stam Warden, pictured below ... and picked up some Cyrodiil pieces to help out with set bonuses:

Mechanical Acuity set x5 (Telvanni style; crafted): Chest, Shoulders, Legs, Arms, Feet

Ravager set x5 (Ebony style; purchased in Cyrodiil): 2H Greatsword (front bar), 1H Mace (back bar, not pictured), Helm (not pictured), Necklace, Ring, Ring

Night’s Silence set x2: Belt (Telvanni style; crafted), Shield (Silken Ring style; crafted, not pictured)

Mechanical Acuity is a 6-trait set ... but with a little research you should be able to craft something comparable.

One final note: It’s easier for new players to start PvP in a non-CP campaign. Since CP is disabled, it gives you a narrower gap between you and end game PvP players ... until you’ve gained enough CP to play in a CP campaign. Kyne campaign (non-vet; levels 10-49) is very forgiving in this area ... minus a few cancer players who never graduate to vet PvP.

Good luck!

G6XFk2P.jpg
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get used to:
    - dying a lot
    - teabagging
    - lag & load screens

I recommend getting to level 50 then to CP 160 in PvE and knowing your class well before venturing to PvP since you'll not stand a chance against more experienced players with very good gear.
    Edited by Asardes on December 1, 2017 7:29PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Get used to:
    - dying a lot
    - teabagging
    - lag & load screens

I recommend getting to level 50 then to CP 160 in PvE and knowing your class well before venturing to PvP since you'll not stand a chance against more experienced players with very good gear.

This is only true if you are wandering around Cyrodiil on your own. If you find a group or guild to play with then you will very much stand a chance. Especially in Kyne only level 49 and under are in that server.
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    I enter Cyrodiil at level 10 and have a blast.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Get used to:
    - dying a lot
    - teabagging
    - lag & load screens

This is only true if you are wandering around Cyrodiil on your own. If you find a group or guild to play with then you will very much stand a chance. Especially in Kyne only level 49 and under are in that server.

That will be half the battle. Finding a group. Very tough to do at times. Far too often I log on looking forward to a few hours of PvP only to be hit by the sound of silence trying to find a group. 20 minutes later I log off and go to another game.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Look up Deltia's channel on YouTube. He has an up-to-date guide on levelling quickly. Having said that, I completely agree with Caleb. Do the quests on your first char, if you enjoy that content at all.

Yes, you should level all your crafting on at least one character for various reasons. You will not likely get the exact gear you want from drops (unless you grind A LOT), nor will it be at the quality level you need to be truly competitive. Crafting allows you to improve gear and transmute traits.

Crafted sets, such as Shacklebreaker, are very viable this patch. If you find a way of making gold, the easiest way to get the exact jewelry / second set you want will be buying it in a guild store. You won't find all possible sets there, but supplement Shacklebreaker with, say, 4 to 5 pieces of Necropotence, plus a monster set, and you are good to go as a magicka nightblade.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker is a great magblade set and luckily it’s craftable. I will say though that outside of zergs (where you can really play as anything) magblade is one of the most challenging pvp classes to play well. It’s pretty solid 1v1 but extremely difficult 1vX. It is not a forgiving class to play but it is fun. Magplar on the other hand is extremely forgiving. What I really love about magblade is that you can very easily cross over between pvp and pve because generally you use either different skills so morphs don’t become an issue or the skills overlap.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most important - run in under 50 campain and after hitting 50 in no-cp campain - there your low CP's wont matter. Next thing I'd sugest you to do would be to watch some clips that explain pvp basics, but don't look at the vids made by "streamers", they die more often they would like to admit, you will die a lot to, we all die a lot there, especially when runing solo.

DON'T GIVE UP - is probably one of the most difficult parts of this game (vetTrials are too but its totaly different pair of shoes).

- Try analyze your gameplay, record it if you want to.
    - Try different setups and skills, find the build that suits YOU best (try to use at least 6 impenetrable traits on your armor).
    - Always look for things you can improve.
    - Learn how to use Line of Sight (LoS) - its very important.
    - Try to learn how to recognise your enemies fast so you will know what you can expect.
    - Take a very careful look at your enemies, you can learn a lot from them. How they escape? How they attack? How did they managed to kill you?
    - Use immovability potions.
    - Try to run with your guild mates in TS/Discord group, it will give you a lot of experience.
    Edited by Mayrael on December 4, 2017 9:38AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge