Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When is the time to "upgrade" gear o yellow?

Puxo1105
Puxo1105
Pretty much what the titel says, I have full purple, not best set combination right now.
Playing as a healer I trying to grab myself 5p worm and 5p spc before anything else.
But as I ahve materials to up 4 cloth item to yellow (100%) when is the time to do that? When im happy with all my gear? Or should I do it now, and just need to find right piece in the open slots?

And also, is there any lose on upgade blue->purple->yellow over finding the item as purple directly?
I understand you cant upgrade rings/amulets so I need to try find those first?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The percentage sets are the worst. Upgrading them to gold won’t make the percentage go up any. Weapons...even in bad trait are first priority. Even better now with transmute
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weapons, then large pieces of armor (chest, head, legs), then small pieces of armor is the order i would prioritize.

It's worth golding out your "main" gear as soon as you have it assembled! Beyond that, it's pretty personal. I gold out some niche gear just to try it if I'm rich that week, but I'll also play hours in purple if I haven't been doing that great on the guildstore that week.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today...
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    The percentage sets are the worst. Upgrading them to gold won’t make the percentage go up any. Weapons...even in bad trait are first priority. Even better now with transmute

Well weapons dont use cloth materials ;)
    Weapons, then large pieces of armor (chest, head, legs), then small pieces of armor is the order i would prioritize.

It's worth golding out your "main" gear as soon as you have it assembled! Beyond that, it's pretty personal. I gold out some niche gear just to try it if I'm rich that week, but I'll also play hours in purple if I haven't been doing that great on the guildstore that week.

Okey, then Its no reason to delay it more then ;) I guess I upgrade my major parts later today then
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Puxo1105 wrote: »
    Okey, then Its no reason to delay it more then ;) I guess I upgrade my major parts later today then

Yeah, if you are going to use the gear for a while, no better time than the present!

It's also worth investing in Kutas and re-enchanting IF you need to change the enchant. If the free enchant that comes on it matches your need (which it should, on those sets, if you are a PvE healer) it will "upgrade" itself as you upgrade the gear quality.
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105

Yeah, if you are going to use the gear for a while, no better time than the present!

It's also worth investing in Kutas and re-enchanting IF you need to change the enchant. If the free enchant that comes on it matches your need (which it should, on those sets, if you are a PvE healer) it will "upgrade" itself as you upgrade the gear quality.

I have just been so anti too upgrade for some reason :)
    Just need to get my hands on some spc or worms rings/amulets instead of my current wisdom^^

Ya but I have though to put enchants on prio #2 :) But ofc, if its wrong enchatn I will rearange them as needed when I go up to yellow.

Reroll the traits, you need the expansion for that right? =/
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly...

There is a free transmute station in the clockwork city DLC, but people can also buy transmute stations for 1250 writ vouchers. Most sizable guilds have one in their guildhall at this point, or you can ask around for a port to one.
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105

Not exactly...

There is a free transmute station in the clockwork city DLC, but people can also buy transmute stations for 1250 writ vouchers. Most sizable guilds have one in their guildhall at this point, or you can ask around for a port to one.

Ah okey, thats good too hear :) Maybe time to find a guild if I feel like starting to play again then ;)
    Thanks alot for the info^^
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Also, any diffrent in upgrade blue->purple->yellow?
    Or just go purple->yellow?

I mean, is there any reason to farm the item as purple when you can get ut blue?
    Blue from normal and purple from veteran no? :)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I mean, is there any reason to farm the item as purple when you can get ut blue?

Jewelry can't be improved, unfortunately. You have to find the "grade" you want, be it green, blue, purple or gold.

If you get an item, armor or weapon, with the trait you want, you can always upgrade it. Just make sure you use enough tempers to not fail.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You generally (with a few exceptions) want to have gold gear in end game content ... to be the best for yourself or your team:

Vet Trials
    End Game PvP
    vMA
    vDSA
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@JKorr is pretty much correct. If you want purple dungeon jewelry you'll have to run the content on vet. If you're only looking for armor/weapons, then the most time efficient thing is to burn through the dungeons/trials on normal and just improve them up.

Gold jewelry is available only through vet trials, rewards of the worthy and the golden merchant. Until they add jewelry crafting *crosses fingers!!*

The difference between purple and gold jewelry is minimal, and you can always put a legendary-level (gold) enchantment on it to further close the gap.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgradiygear to gold is min/maxing. Unless that's your goal there is little need. Mostly ic your trying to push yourself to be all you can be in PvP or PvE.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Jewelry should be farmed in purple because you can't upgrade it, but for gear blue (and upgrading once or twice) is fine!

Generally, practice is to farm a vet dungeon until you get the jewelry you need, then farm it on normal (because it's faster).

With SPC, you can also get some purple jewelry by opening the key vault in WGT.
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    after you will get cp160
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    vovus69 wrote: »
    after you will get cp160

Agree with Vovus69, there's no point in wasting gold tempers before you hit 160.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it helps, here’s the very rough numbers on what upgrading from purple to gold gets you.

Weapons: this upgrade is quite significant and you should expect to get a lot of power out of it. The boost to the weapon’s damage rating is about 20%...which is a lot. You can quasi-test the benefit to your character before upgrading. Equip the purple weapon then go hit something large with and without major brutality (if stam) or major sorcery (if magic). Take note of the non-critical base damage values for either. If, for example, an ability hits for 7500 and 9000, the 20% boost to damage is giving you about 1500 more per hit. Making that weapon gold would add at least that much on top of those values.

(Or ignore the math and just trust us that gold weapons are worth it. Not everyone has to be a math nerd out smacking mammoths on the butt to record damage values.)

Armor: each piece upgraded to gold gets a 3.5% boost to the armor rating. This is a marginal boost, but when all 7 items are gold it’s about a 25% increase. For the most part, I always recommend waiting until you’re c160 and have sets you love and know you’ll use, then upgrade one piece at a time as you can.

Other buffs from upgrading to gold:

Enchantment: upgrading doesn’t affect the max enchantment you can put on gear - a c160 piece has the same max whether it’s purple or gold. However, upgrading a drop set with its original enchant automatically increases the enchantment value...in effect saving you from using a kuta to make a new enchant. Crafted pieces won’t change their enchant value as you upgrade the gear.

Trait: the trait value will increase. This is pretty significant...as an example, a piece with divines goes from 6.5% boost to 7.5%. So a full set of gold gear in all divines would offer a 7% add’l boost to whatever mundus you run.

Set bonuses: these also go up, but the boost is pretty minor. And remember, the values listed are spread across the pieces of that set you’re wearing. For example, a set of purple set gear with a weapon crit buff offers +804. A gold set offers +833. Upgrading each piece will add about 6 to that crit buff...you don’t get +30 for each piece.

5th trait bonus: as other have said, sometimes gold increases the buff from these bonuses and sometimes it does not. Look at the tool tip in the upgrade menu to see how your sets are affected. Generally, buffs that offer a numeric value do get a boost, while percent values do not. For example, Hundings Rage offers +300 weapon damage. That’s a numeric value, and moving to higher quaLity does increase the value. Marksman offers a -5% cost and +8% damage buff. Those are percents, and a white piece will offer the same buff as a gold.

So:

1. Make sure you’re c160+ and wearing c160 gear.
    2. Test it and find the sets you like the most.
    3. Upgrade the weapons first, test some more.
    4. Upgrade each piece as you find you need to be stronger.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re even the least bit interested in sort of min maxing then honestly purple armor doesn’t make much difference and the meta changes so often only those with a fortune are Abel to keep up. Gold out 2H wpns or the front hand wpn for dw. Get purple jewelry and use gold jewelry glyphs. Otherwise I think you’re talking about very small performance increases.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have to ask, you are not ready
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    If you’re even the least bit interested in sort of min maxing then honestly purple armor doesn’t make much difference and the meta changes so often only those with a fortune are Abel to keep up. Gold out 2H wpns or the front hand wpn for dw. Get purple jewelry and use gold jewelry glyphs. Otherwise I think you’re talking about very small performance increases.

If you craft things you can feel freer to upgrade. My level 35 characters use purple armor and gold weapons. Still thinking about gold armor for my CP 200+ characters.

I think every little boost helps in a pinch?
    I know nutting....