The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why do some quests still give like almost no experience?

DarkWombat
DarkWombat
✭✭✭✭
They are scattered around, most famous being in Bal Foyen, where there are a whopping THREE quests all grouped together (sending guar home, etc) that give literally like between 0.5 and 1% of your level. You can always tell if the quest reward is 83 gold or less, you just wasted your time.

Most quests gives much more.

Now I understand, the longer the chain, the more exp. But some of them are not so short.

Is this a bug from when the game was first released and it has not been addressed?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a "go to this person and report in to them" quest? Those give very little exp and gold because all you have to do is walk to a new part of the region and say hi to the NPC you are supposed to talk to.

As for sending the guar home, that's basically walking around the zone (fighting or dodging Covenant soldiers who are easily avoidable) and finding the guar. There's no required combat to it whatsoever. I don't know the other two, but I'm guessing its finding the argonian farmers and testing the netch eggs? Again, neither requires combat and the netch eggs are an insta-kill.
  • InnocentOfCrime
    There are three possible reasons you are getting so little.

1. Your character is low level, when one tamriel released it made it so EVERYTHING scales to that characters level. So regardless of where the quest is it will still only pay out based on the leveled value of gold and exp your character should be getting. It been awhile since i did low level questing though so i can't confirm 83 gold is the correct amount.

2. You are doing minor quests, i don't think this is it though as those only scale up to 75 gold at cp 160, when scaling stops. Minor quests are generally given at the end of a quest line to help you find where the next is and reward little because all they involve is finding a specifically marked character and opening dialogue.

3. Its as you say and a bug, in which case send in a support ticket.
  • DarkWombat
    DarkWombat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive done those three Bal Foyen quests and others on all types of characters, they never give more than 1% of experience.

If it is true that they give so little, because there is no combat, isn't that a double whammy of no exp whatsoever? Why do them then?

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkWombat wrote: »
    Ive done those three Bal Foyen quests and others on all types of characters, they never give more than 1% of experience.

If it is true that they give so little, because there is no combat, isn't that a double whammy of no exp whatsoever? Why do them then?
    Think they don't give much xp as they are fast with little to no combat.
    Then questing I find it smart to collect as many quests in the area as I can as many overlap.
    The delve quests also give little xp as they are just go to npc and give item or message.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All side misc quests where all you do is run around or deliver a package give less exp than a Zone Main Quest Stage. It's not like you expend a lot of effort on these.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DarkWombat
    DarkWombat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Again, then why do them if they give as much exp as killing one single mob?

This is the only MMO in the history of all MMOs, that has such little exp for these types of quests.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason you do these quests is if you're interested in the "hero of X" titles and achievements. That's it.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on November 28, 2017 3:24PM
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many quests of the lowest reward category are travel quests that simply send you to a spot/an area where you can start a "real" quest with a better reward. Often these quests send you to the next part of a zone's main quest line (the quests required for Cadwells Silver and Gold - about 3 of which per zone grant you a skill point upon completion).

(Edit: Questing in ESO, in general, is not as efficient for XP as grinding monsters.)
    Edited by GaldorP on November 28, 2017 3:57PM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like being nice to virtual people. :smile:
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the main story (and zone, DLC) quest chains award low XP for the time involved compared with mindlessly killing zombies, the only quests I've found with high-ish XP are some of the DLC WB / delve dailies.

I agree it's bad design to have quest XP so low when compared to grinding zombies, but it is what it is and since it's been that way forever, I assume it is by design.

They could double the XP for most quests in the game (and not nerf grinding) and they would still award less XP / per hour than killing random mobs.

If nothing else, it would be useful to color code the useless side / fetch / deliver quests (like dailies are blue-ish) and / or note the rewards on the initial quest - so players could easily see which quests have no meaningful rewards.

• Carthalion
    Every quest has meaningful rewards...and eventually every reward loses value to a player who believes their time isn't worth the effort.

It's not bad design it's how spoiled we've grown as a community.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carthalion wrote: »
    Every quest has meaningful rewards...and eventually every reward loses value to a player who believes their time isn't worth the effort.

Tell me how a 10+ minute quest that rewards 69 gold or less and basically no xp is in any way valuable.
  • Carthalion
    Carthalion wrote: »

Tell me how a 10+ minute quest that rewards 69 gold or less and basically no xp is in any way valuable.

In most table top RPG's you get awarded XP at the end of the session or some break point...granted we know if we slay a bunch of sewer rats and then later an ogre, the ogre was probably worth more XP.

It all adds up in the end.

The game is so big, there's dozens of different activities that are generally more time/effort efficient in terms of reward. I can see if side quests were mandatory in that you had to complete X to unlock Y so you could play Z...but isn't that the case with anything that has a farm/grind mechanic?

I see your point though but I don't think they need to go as far as color code quests based on the weight of their rewards.