Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Motif preview colors?

PrinceDamien
PrinceDamien
✭✭✭✭
Greetings.

Some time ago I got the Dark Brotherhood Motif collection and was pretty hyped about it.
But when I crafted my first pieces I noticed that the colors doesn't match those of the preview.

This one is the Medium DB shown when previewing the set.
J34ROJJ.png

And this one is what I wore at that time, with minor dyes applied to it.
2r12MBN.png

And other mats give way different colors.
So now I wonder, is there a way to get the kind of color pattern shown in the preview, or is it just later crafting mats that I have yet to discover?

I just want to know since it's been bugging me for some time.
It's no deal breaker or anything. Just got me curious on either it's ingame or not.

And yes, this is my first character and I have not tried to craft other sets, but I can asume it's the same there?

Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit:
    Isn't it kind of weird if the game shows you a preview on how a motif looks like, but then it doesn't ever come out like it when crafting it?
    To me it feels kind of weird, almost as being lied to.

Bad comparison maybe, but shouldn't a preview be how it'll look like when made?
    just weird to me, that's all.

Thank you for your time.

From a new player’s perspective, I think your point is an excellent one.

Being able to preview what a piece of gear looks like (in the correct mat tier) would go a long way in deciding on style. This has been mentioned in the forums many times before ... but whether ZOS has been paying attention we really don’t know. Maybe it’s something ZOS can incorporate into the transmog system they are working on.

As a player with quite a few dyes unlocked, a lot of crafted styles look better than the initial preview ... after applying a new paint job. But, you don’t have that luxury yet. Hence, this forums thread and something for you to look forward to.

By the way, previews would be great on weapons too. This level 46 Yew Order of the Hour bow is only usable for four levels ... but it sure looks nice.

AKUKM7y.jpg
    Answer ✓
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you’ve discovered a lot about the dye system and crafted styles already.

Once you apply dyes to a crafted motif, it is possible to not ever get back to the default colors again. Most of the time this isn’t an issue. But, as you pointed out, if you don’t have a lot of achievement dyes unlocked, it puts players in a pickle.

Crafting mats do make a difference, too, as you alluded to. Low level medium gear will have a different default color based on the crafting mat tier used.

Best advice is to take a look at the brown dyes in the ‘uncommon’ section of your dye pallete ... and unlock the ones you think might be reasonably close to the preview in the first pic. Uncommon dyes tend to work a lot better on leather-textured medium gear than rare dyes.

Sometimes you can re-craft low level gear ... since the number of refined mats needed per armor piece is lower. However, that could get expensive depending on if it was blue or purple quality; not to mention the enchantments.

Good luck!

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 26, 2017 4:25AM
  • PrinceDamien
    PrinceDamien
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, unlocking dyes will take a while I've noticed after googling about it.
    So it's a work in progress. ^^

Is there however any material that comes with the color choises of that from a preview of a motif?
    So that you don't have to try and find dyes to replicate it?
    I was wondering if it previews what end-game mats will look like, since that's what most people will end up with anyway.

I kind of thought that the crafted items would come out as they do on the preview since it was that it showed.

I guess that this kind of crafting kinda surprised me compared to other games, where when you have a recipie for an item, it always comes out the same.

Edit:
    Isn't it kind of weird if the game shows you a preview on how a motif looks like, but then it doesn't ever come out like it when crafting it?
    To me it feels kind of weird, almost as being lied to.
    It's like you go shopping and find something that looks good. Later when you come home and take it out of the package you see that it doesn't look like it at all.

Bad comparison maybe, but shouldn't a preview be how it'll look like when made?
    just weird to me, that's all.

Thank you for your time.
    Edited by PrinceDamien on November 26, 2017 10:42AM