The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best gear for Dunmer Stamsorc?

VonNelson
VonNelson
✭✭✭
I’m looking for suggestions for gear for my Dunmer stam sorc. I’ve tried a few different combinations but don’t know what is best. Dual wield and bow.

Best Answers

• Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you said dw/bow and you didn't post in the PvP combat and skills subforum, I am going to list out the same Stam sets as every other pve Stam dps would use, with the exception of stormfist, stamsorc has the same requirements.

In no particular order-
    TFS, hundings, VO, spriggans, NMG, sunderflame, war machine with dawnbreaker as ulti.

This.

Actually your gear for a stamDD is more class and group/raid dependant as race dependant. It depends mainly on your group/raid setup and which support (physical resistance decreasing) sets other stamDDs wear there. If you use Sunderflame or not depends highly on your proportion of heavy attacks you use in your rota. As a stamDk for example you use mostly heavy attacks so Sunderflame is a good set for you. As a stamblade I would not use Sunderflame for example.

If we talk about race choices for a PvE stamDD my advice is always take redguard because of the sustain bonuses except as a stamDK. As you have a pure heavy attack rota as a stamDK you should have no issues with sustain and therefore I would choose a Khajiit. With other words a Dunmer is not the worst but also not the best choice for a stamSorc or a stamDD in general.

Edited by Flameheart on November 24, 2017 7:37AM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make it magicka. It will benefit much more from racial bonuses. It's cheap to reset attributes and skills in Mournhold. Dark elf has racial bonuses to maximum magicka (bigger than maximum stamina) and elemental damage, especially fire. Skills that do elemental damage are all magicka based while stamina based skills do physical, poison or disease damage. So a stamina build won't benefit much from Dark Elf passives.
    Edited by Asardes on November 24, 2017 7:36AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina sorcerer is good for solo, but doesn't synergize very well with groups since it doesn't offer any unique buffs. Other classes do offer such buffs:
    - Minor Sorcery (+5% spell damage): Templar: Dawn's Wrath: Illuminate passive
    - Minor Prophecy (+3% spell critical): Sorcerer: Dark Magic: Exploitation passive - the skill line doesn't contain any stamina morphs that are used in groups, since Dark Deal is only used in solo play; magicka sorcerer will use Crystal Fragments for DPS and will buff the group without gimping himself
    - Minor Brutality (+5% weapon damage): Dragonknight: Earthen Heart: Mountain's Blessing passive
    - Minor Savagery (+3% weapon critical): Nightblade : Assasination: Hemorrhage passive
    - Minor Breach & Fracture (-1320 spell and physical resistance): Templar: Dawn's Wrath: Power of the Light
    In conclusion a magicka sorcerer does provide group utility, while a stamina one does not, apart from a very specialized build using hard to get gear.

As for character slots, there are 8 available by default and another 6 than can be bought for 1.5K crowns each. Those become essential end game, because sooner or later you'll hit a huge storage problem as you start accumulating sets. IMO it's best to have a stamina and magicka build of every class because with that many balance changes you will find your "main" character in a bad spot at one point or another. So it's a wise investment to buy those and start filling them with characters, even if you don't plan on playing them right away.
    Edited by Asardes on November 24, 2017 12:27PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Answer ✓
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvE or PvP? What is your goal here?
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    We need to have some context to work from.
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since you said dw/bow and you didn't post in the PvP combat and skills subforum, I am going to list out the same Stam sets as every other pve Stam dps would use, with the exception of stormfist, stamsorc has the same requirements.

In no particular order-
    TFS, hundings, VO, spriggans, NMG, sunderflame, war machine with dawnbreaker as ulti.
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys - for mor info - yes it’s pve although I’d be interested to hear what would work for pvp too. I was more curious about sets that capitalise on that racial bonus but from what I see it’s maybe not that important.

Heavy attacks feature in rotation to help with the resource management and I have sunderflame - was wondering if there was a better setup. Also have Red Mountain currently

I don’t tend to do raids. More likely to be found in a dungeon
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    ^ thanks. Think I’m going to move away from flame damage and focus on other attributes in that case. Could not bring myself to change to Magicka at this point! This is my primary and I like the setup
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's always easy to make a new character and pick another race. Leveling is very fast, with a new 2 XP event coming in a few weeks. With the event bonus, another one from scrolls or ambrosia, you can be at 50 in 2-3 hours of running normal Maelstrom arena, dolmens or various overland grind spots. For stamina Sorcerer I would recommend one of the followind:
    - Redguard (10% maximum stamina, 9% stamina recovery, stamina every 5 s from melee attacks)
    - Wood Elf (6% maximum stamina, 21% stamina recovery, poison resistance)
    - Orc (6% maximum stamina, 6% maximum health, 5% healing received, 4% melee damage bonus)
    - Imperial (10% maximum stamina, 12% maximum health, health from melee attacks)

If you plan on doing PvP you will have sustain problems if you stick with Dark Elf in a stamina role and/or have to sacrifice damage for sustain in the process. Also in high end PvE those things really start to matter. Stamina sorcerer is out of fashion ATM in both PvE and PvP, but magicka is still strong.
    Edited by Asardes on November 24, 2017 11:53AM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    How come stamsorc is out of fashion? I really like the idea of rolling up a stamsorc orc but I’ve only got one character slot left. Hmm I’ll see later, that idea is getting traction- although it would be for pvp so possibly Redguard would be better.

My playstyle just doesn’t fit in with a magica sorc. I’ve got a fully fledged magica templar anyway and I can get up close and personal with her as well as the Destro staff

I suppose this character is all about personal preference so I accept it’s not going to be the best at anything but I’d still like to optimise what I’ve got for the content I use :)
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Asardes that has been really useful. And I’m going to take up your advice re the character slots!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you go in PvP sustain is an absolute must. In PvE you can just fit heavy attack in your rotation with every skill since the target is mostly static so you can sustain just OK with base recovery regardless of race, but in PvP people move a lot and dodge and you may not be able to hit them every time.

Redguard is probably the best option if you plan on doing both IMO since Adrenaline Rush passive will activate on all melee attacks, not just heavy attacks. Also the recovery passives and maximum stamina % passives from both race and class will maximize the advantages you have. For example in 1/5/1 setup you will boost your stamina recovery by 49% and your maximum stamina by 24% with Bound Armaments active on a Redguard Stamina Sorcerer; for Dark elf the multipliers will only be 40% and 20% respectively and you will miss on anohter 792 stamina every 5s which is equivalent to another 317 stamina recovery while applying melee damage to an enemy. So in order to have the same sustain on a Dark Elf, compared to a Redguard you'll have to shift all your jewelry glyphs from weapon damage to stamina recovery, and lose about 650 weapon damage as a result, taking into account the multipliers. All in all you will end up with 10-12% less damage than a Redguard sorcerer. So PvP will not be a pleasant experience.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    What’s the best class for melee damage? If I am going for a Redguard doing damage what class should I look at? I think I want an orc sorc lol but really want to look at another Redguard
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »
    What’s the best class for melee damage? If I am going for a Redguard doing damage what class should I look at? I think I want an orc sorc lol but really want to look at another Redguard

Melee Damage is Stam nb or stam dk. Orc sorcs are great.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol dunmer stam sorc. race change first
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a dunmer storc. He dies just fine... He's also a WW.

Not BiS, but definitely work able (plus Dunmer - one of the ancient races)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering the same thing, I only play one character and like to swap back and forth from mag to stam DD, so want to race change from High Elf to dunmer, I aint no end gamer anyways lol. But a dunmer stam sorc at least gets the bonus stamina and shock damage.

Edit: Went with Dunmer, 5x Sunderflame 3x VO jewelery, 2x Stormfist and asylum dw/Bow. Solo’s normal dungeons just fine.
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on December 25, 2017 10:56PM