Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Texture missing/corrupt? Rocks, trees, etc are black

sim_pol
sim_pol
There is another thread that includes this issue, but because it also includes a bunch of people talking about unrelated stuff, I decided to make a new thread for this problem specifically.

I play on PC-NA, and the issue happens across all characters. I've contacted Customer Support, and they told me to post about it here.

I have a texture issue that affects a lot of things in the world, the worst affected are rocks, trees, and buildings (moss I think?). It makes them look black. I have also noticed it on the Bloodforged skin, specifically on my Argonian's face, where it has no texture and makes it look like he has no nose holes. I have also noticed that it affects the block indicator, the shield thing that floats in the air when you are blocking. It is very faint, almost invisible. I attached screenshots that show all of these issues.

The issue happens with and without addons. I have tried repairing the game twice, with and without addons, saved variables, etc in their respective folders, and also reinstalling the game, to no avail. I have obviously also tried relogging, restarting the game and my computer. I included a screenshot that shows the issue happening when there are no addons, taken directly after a game repair (look at the rocks in the background).

I have a screenshot from October 27th that doesn't have the issue, and I have one from November 4th that does, so it started happening to me sometime in that date range.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated, my Argonian can't breath through his mouth forever!

UfIyAOG.png

zZ0d3Xo.jpg

7UbG2jm.png

vBMYd0e.png
  • sim_pol
    sim_pol
    My graphical settings are all maxed out, everything enabled except for "Show Additional Ally Effects" which is disabled.

I have a GTX 1070, i5-5600, 16 GB of RAM, and no other graphical issues outside of the game. I've updated my video drivers since the issue began, again to no avail.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is most likely a local issue as all those effects are on our PC. I guess it could be some lag between the server and your PC telling it what needs to be rendered.

On two PCs, one older, but still very solid I get the same. The newer one I do not have the issue. That tells me, in my case, the older one is slower to render the information which can be due to a number of factors.
  • sim_pol
    sim_pol
    I've fixed the issue completely, and I know exactly what it was caused by. There are two settings in the UserSettings.txt, called:

SET DIFFUSE_2_MAPS "1"
    SET NORMAL_MAPS "1"

THESE SHOULD BOTH BE SET TO 1!

They were together causing all of my graphical issues. Looking at the names of the settings, it seems obvious that they would cause issues like this, but since no one bothered to help me, I had to figure it out for myself.

If anyone can test on their own game, just set the values to 0 and see if you get similar graphical problems, I would appreciate it.
    Edited by sim_pol on November 28, 2017 5:51AM
  • Kaeriz
    Kaeriz
    ✭✭✭
    This is a necropsy, but wow - thank you. I have struggled with this issue for over a year and Sunmersey took it to a whole new level. You fixed it. Thank you thank you
  • Kaeriz
    Kaeriz
    ✭✭✭
    Autocorrect lol: necro
  • sim_pol
    sim_pol
    Awesome, I'm glad I could help!
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This fix didn't work for me