The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

More crafting questions

One_ofMany
One_ofMany
✭✭✭
Is there anything I need as a crafter that I could not obtain from an alt? Like any special drops that could not be traded from one toon to the other?
Trying if to decide if my main or an alt should be my main crafter.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skill points.... unless you want to chase them all in the game - make your crafter one of your alts.
  • One_ofMany
    One_ofMany
    ✭✭✭
    I mean more like special ingredients for recipes or gear being no trade to the same account. Something I could only best farm with my main character etc.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you have to be careful about is making sure you "use" or "learn" the motif or the recipe on the correct character. Once one of your characters picks up a motif or recipe, it can be put in the bank and picked up by any character on your account. Everything else, all the mats, gear you've made, food, drinks, potions, can be banked and picked up by any of your characters.

My main crafter makes all the research items for my other characters. The only thing I have to be careful about is having one of the lower level characters doing deconning to level the crafting skill, and accidentally deconning one of the research items I banked. Simply irritating for most of the traits; really sucks when you're leveling a new level 4 warden deconning all the white items you have, and accidentally decon the nirnhoned items you made for your backup crafter to research.....

The mats you find will be 50/50 with your character's crafting skill level, and character level. My two main crafters will never find anything besides the ruby/rubedite/ancestor level mats. My 3rd oldest/highest level character will find steel and ruby, another will find voidstone....Finding mats of the levels I need to craft for my guilds is why I have alts with crafting skills set at certain levels.

• Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard (but never tested) that certain motif droprates are influenced by how much of that motif you already know. So if your main is also your crafter you will get more motif drops because you know the motif and you are doing the content. For example, getting the mercenary style through the undaunted dailies is affected by motif knowledge, and I suspect other motif drops are similar.

If your main is also going to be your achievement hunter then remember that there are loads of achievements for crafting, and there are more than enough skill points available to a character you do lots of content with.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One_ofMany wrote: »
    Is there anything I need as a crafter that I could not obtain from an alt? Like any special drops that could not be traded from one toon to the other?
    Trying if to decide if my main or an alt should be my main crafter.

It takes 120 or more skill points to be a fully vested crafter.
    Motif Knowledge does not transfer to an Alt
    Trait Knowledge does not transfer to an Alt.

So, that should help you decide. Pick a character that will have that many skill points to invest, and still have enough to be deadly enough to farm or get to remote special crafting stations. Then, that character learns the motifs, no matter who finds them. Same with all the recipes and does all the trait research. Note, you can spend 9 months or more on Trait Research.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    for furniture recipes you need different crafts on one character to make them. they now made writ vouchers transferable, which was a huge bummer for people who had different crafters for each profession. Personally, I just habe my main master crafter, and the rest only has some basic stuff for making their own potions and food.
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP if you're like me, your "main" might change from time to time based on boredom, class updates/changes, etc. So while you're thinking in terms of 'main vs alt' now, those roles may be reversed down the road. I would advise you to make your crafter out of whatever character you play the most currently.

So much of crafting progression involves time consuming researching and raising skills through deconstruction. It is much easier to remember to research and more convenient to deconstruct stuff on the character you're actively playing rather than logging into an alt at the start/end of your playtime to do those tasks.

That's just my two cents, but it served me well when I first started. I've since moved on from my crafter on several occasions, although I'm back to him now as my "main."

Best wishes
    Edited by Feric51 on November 20, 2017 7:29PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a couple of things...

The materials you see are governed by skill level - so an unskilled alt won't see the top end materials.

You can shift motifs, tempers, materials, recipes, etc. between alts via the bank - as long as they aren't stolen ;)

Unless you are levelling up an alt then you will want to do all refinement/deconstruction with your main crafter to maximize the output of tempers.

As someone else mentioned, make sure your main crafter learns the motifs that come your way. Ones that your crafter already knows can be sold or learnt by alts.

Finally, levelling up alts is worthwhile for the hireling drops and writs they can get - you can level them up without having to do all the research or learning more than the basic motifs/recipes.

• grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you stop decons by locking the items?
    My crafter started as a stamplar, did most quests and gathered all skill points, started new blade and redirected points in stamplar to become 100% in all craftings, now my "master crafter"

Now running 10 characters and levelling them 1 by 1, all with max hirelings
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with other assessments about what does and doesn’t transfer.

Additional notes:

Crafting writs are very profitable. You might decide to do those on multiple characters. As such, my strategy has been:

- level all the crafting skills on everyone anyway. Just put all your white junk pieces in your bank, especially intricate items, then level your alts one at a time. It’s not that much work...but do itmover time, it’s boring to grind it all in one weekend, lol.

- you might consider doing trait research with everyone, just for flexibility down the road. It’s not essential, but when doing the highest level writs the trait research helps give you a better shot at master crafting writs, and higher quality ones. My alts everymonce in a while nab a legendary writ, worth $100-$200k. And who knows what mechanics Zos might attackmto trait research in the future? When I have an alt, my strategy with research is to craft a line in the order they aperon the crafting station grid. So I start by making all light and heavy in sturdy, put the, in the bank, research those, then craft the next line.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with other assessments about what does and doesn’t transfer.

Additional notes:

Crafting writs are very profitable. You might decide to do those on multiple characters. As such, my strategy has been:

- level all the crafting skills on everyone anyway. Just put all your white junk pieces in your bank, especially intricate items, then level your alts one at a time. It’s not that much work...but do itmover time, it’s boring to grind it all in one weekend, lol.

- you might consider doing trait research with everyone, just for flexibility down the road. It’s not essential, but when doing the highest level writs the trait research helps give you a better shot at master crafting writs, and higher quality ones. My alts everymonce in a while nab a legendary writ, worth $100-$200k. And who knows what mechanics Zos might attackmto trait research in the future? When I have an alt, my strategy with research is to craft a line in the order they aperon the crafting station grid.