The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The truth about master crafting

Armatesz
Armatesz
✭✭✭✭✭
I've for the longest been told by various people on what constitutes a master crafter, which I have found to be different to what the game would make as being a master crafter.
I've been told by others that a master crafter is someone that has their crafting skills at 50 and having all traits learned. At the same time I was also told master crafters are the ones that have all traits and crafting skills at 50 with all beneficial perks for them as well as having all motifs learned.
But at the same time the game treats it differently... you are a master crafter according to the game when you are at level 50 and having said skills as solvent proficiency or metalworking or tailoring and so forth all perks filling them up.
I was wondering what you all think constitutes a "Master" crafter.
Should it be given a title to someone that is more than just having their skills for crafting at 50 as well as having all traits?
Only title I can think appropriate is legendary master crafter, just opinion, thoughts?
Ärmätèsz
Xbox NA
Guildless (by choice)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really use the term personally. It's just another term used to say "I am a better crafter than X" for me.

If I had to use the term I would have said it was anyone who had all crafts max and was actively invested in getting all traits/motifs. Someone who worked towards being able to do everything.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I don't really use the term personally. It's just another term used to say "I am a better crafter than X" for me.

If I had to use the term I would have said it was anyone who had all crafts max and was actively invested in getting all traits/motifs. Someone who worked towards being able to do everything.

Yeah I know I still have a sum of researching still to do, done with woodworking and I know heavy armor for researching I should be done in like 40 or so days. So far for everything I am a 6 trait and up but mostly 7 or 8 for some.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Kimba_Do
    Kimba_Do
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so close. Not counting the three traits currently in research, only 2 traits left to go! Sadly, due to the items involved it will take a full 2-1/2 months to finish, but then this one will be 9 traits across the board.

Then, it's time to...great-gatsby-party_1024x1024.jpg?12729
    Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with catsup.
    You're all just a bunch of pixels. Turn off the power and you cease to exist.
    White Lions. Bringing the jungle fame for over 50 years.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use Master Crafter to mean full 9 traits, all motifs, and if I don't have a pattern for the furniture I can get it and make it. (though I have a lot already)

I would say "Master Crafters" are lvl 50 in all trades, full 9 traits, and have perks so that upgrading to purple doesn't cost 16 tempers.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All traits researched and all motifs learned. If I had to put it into a title.
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master crafter to me is 9 traits, all motifs learned and all the materials needed for any craft.

Furniture is different, i know over 1k plans i just say that. No-one has completed all the furniture plans yet and doubt they ever will :)
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    I've for the longest been told by various people on what constitutes a master crafter, which I have found to be different to what the game would make as being a master crafter.
    I've been told by others that a master crafter is someone that has their crafting skills at 50 and having all traits learned. At the same time I was also told master crafters are the ones that have all traits and crafting skills at 50 with all beneficial perks for them as well as having all motifs learned.
    But at the same time the game treats it differently... you are a master crafter according to the game when you are at level 50 and having said skills as solvent proficiency or metalworking or tailoring and so forth all perks filling them up.
    Should it be given a title to someone that is more than just having their skills for crafting at 50 as well as having all traits?
    Only title I can think appropriate is legendary master crafter, just opinion, thoughts?

IMO, a master crafter is someone that is 9 traits across the board in all weapons and gear. The number motifs known isn't as important to me but I would imagine anyone that has 9 traits on all available items would have an impressive motif library as well. I am 9 traits on most will many motifs and I think I am approaching the "Master" title.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I would mostly agree with Laura and Sarge, in that you must know 9 traits. I would also expect a Master to know all the current motifs. The problem with attaching a title to this, is that it is a constantly moving target. Every new DLC there's more motifs to learn.
    I would be okay with a "Master" title for knowing all the non-DLC motifs and 9 traits. I would then also want additional 'Master' titles available after completing this first level. "Master Holidays" and "Master Vardenfell", "Master Orsinium", "Master CWC", etc., as you learn all the motifs associated with those DLCs.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit that the in game aspect of what constitutes a master crafter is indeed different than what any of us would perceive as such. Differences of opinions.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • resdayn00
    resdayn00
    ✭✭✭
    Technically a ‘Master crafter’ would have all crafting skills maxed out, all crafting passives learned (necessary for crafting and upgrading), all 9 traits on every item researched, all motifs learned, all provisioning recipes known and possibly all furniture recipes learned. Again, TECHNICALLY.

Most master crafters have all 9 traits learned, a considerable number of motifs in their library, all consumable skills maxed out and all the important provisioning recipes learned (obviously not all of them). I don’t expect a master crafter to know absolutely everything, as that’s almost impossible currently, but a master crafter should be able to complete most of the orders other players place.

I don’t expect anyone to learn all motifs, but it’s important to know at least the most popular and/or easy-to-get ones. Furniture crafters are another thing, but even they aren’t expected to know all recipes.

And please, don’t call yourself a crafter if you don’t know at least 6 traits and some motifs.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Resdayn Indoril, Dunmer Magicka Nightblade - Main

Pactum Dunmeri | Ard Feainn | Aetherius Art | Kley Guild

Achievement points: 26k+
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Master crafter to me is 9 traits and all the base game motifs. It’s very hard and super expensive to collect all the pages I don’t expect anyone to have them all. When people ask me to craft them something I first ask what style bc I might not have it yet.

Crafting cost an arm and a leg from all the non crafters way over charging motifs they don’t use then asking for free gear in that style.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

master crafter is anyone who is willing to craft items for you that you cannot craft for yourself but which you want or need. it pays to be (or feign being) nice and respectful to those you want stuff from.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

master crafter is anyone who is willing to craft items for you that you cannot craft for yourself but which you want or need. it pays to be (or feign being) nice and respectful to those you want stuff from.

Yeah I have had times where I knew how to make something that I seen someone that played the game for like 2 years and they did not know how to make so and so item and I knew it and they did not know it existed.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    I am almost 9 trait, spent so much time collecting furnishing recipes that my motif collection is lacking right now.

Sucks when I get random style master writs, but it's nice to be able to decorate at will and craft my friends whatever furnishings they need.
    I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭

Personally i say must be 9 trait in everything and be capable of making 160. So many styles and some arnt even obtainable because it was special event only. Which would mean players who start now would never be master crafters because they cant get all styles.

If someone had all styles all traits max level capability i would refer to them as a legendary crafter lol.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Master Crafter is something the community came up with since there wasn't really any definition of it in-game (or any reward for reaching level 50 in all crafts or completing all research) until they introduced master writs. Thus, the definition varies from player to player, but I think most would agree it involves knowing all traits and being able to craft 160 gear/consumables. I don't have all the passives, but I consider myself a master crafter, because the passives I don't have are the research ones (completely unnecessary until they introduce new traits) and the extra 20 minutes you can get for food/beverages which cost 3 SPs each. I have food that lasts 2 hours, so I don't need an extra 20 minutes per serving when I can make food so easily/cheaply.

But, the game's definition, if you will, after master writs were introduced seems to be just get to level 50 in a craft and put in the necessary skill points to do top tier writs so you can get Master Writs. However, just because you can do top tier writs (I have 6 alts that can do them but aren't master crafters by even the basic player definition), doesn't mean you can do the Master Writs you might get from them. Thus, I still think the player definition of master crafter is justified, since if you can't even do the majority of the MWs, then you aren't yet a master crafter.

ZOS set the bar low for getting MWs, but the bar is still pretty high for being able to say that you can complete any MW thrown at you. Currently, the only MWs I am unable to complete are the BA ones. That's it. I can complete anything else should I choose to. Some I choose not to do because I don't think the mats invested are worth the reward.

I don't think calling yourself a master crafter means that you're better than everyone else, but I do think it's a distinction that is deserved for players that have put in the considerable time/effort (since the game itself offers very little in terms of reward). I understand that newer players might be put off by the term, but really, it's not anything that's difficult for anyone to obtain. It just takes time and patience, and a lot of gold if you want to have all motifs, which is a constantly moving target for all of us.

Basically, I think the in-game definition is woefully inadequate and misleading for newer players, since they rush to level 50, put points in to do top-tier writs and then get MWs they can't even do for some time. I think the bar for entry into MWs should have been higher.
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • 9 traits in all gear crafts
    • All crafting passives (except research)
    • All or most motifs