The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lift cap limit for Housing (both ESO Plus And Regular Players)

DefyGravity182
I am frustrated with the capacity limit on collectibles and craftable furnishing items. Player housing is expensive, having bought dozens of collectibles over the years (mounts, pets and even the new Warden bear) and even purchased unique furniture in the crown store while editing the house as well as crafting my own from diagrams and praxis. The house I purchased was the *expensive* Strident Springs Demesne (furnished) which has a huge courtyard as well as plenty of rooms and space in the gorgeous house. I’ve added the max amount of mounts allowed outside in a custom stable I purchased from crown housing store, and random pets (cliff strider and dragon frog) on a purchased Imperial well outside in the court yard. I have my main companion pet the Makarth Beardog next to my fire pit in my home setup as a meeting spot where all my other ESO characters can hang out in their (never available) free time with one more pet (The Copperback Bear Dog - purchased with crown crates!! **very very expensive!**) located in my throne room upstairs. I have many more collectible animals that would look incredible wandering outside in my court yard (stationary of course but imagination.) But then HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I have hit max capacity on furniture items and there is a lot more I would like to do with my home (like a brewery in a spare room with keggers, a bathing room with the hag fen mist item in the crown housing store, and even a room setup for costumes or armor [if they decide to do that like in Skyrim *still hoping!*]) But it’s impossible with the capacity rule. I understand there being a hording issue but there is so much space in my HUGE house and courtyard that will never happen. I almost purchased the Ebonheart Chateau Earlier today before I found out about the furnishing max capacity and well guess what that idea is KILLED because if this huge house can hit capacity this easily then you know the Chateau can as well. This may sound like a rant but in reality it’s just explaining the issues with the capacity limit rule. You may not get me to buy 10-15 houses to spread out my collectibles but you’re messing up by not allowing me to spend that same amount of money making my one or two houses (if i later buy the Chateau when this is fixed) exactly how I want it! On a side note, allow other ESO characters to be collectibles in your home, I have plenty of rooms and it would look great with them in it (sitting by the fire pit when that character is offline or outside by the stable). Great things to include for maximum satisfaction with the housing part of ESO!
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Item limits are way too small for the large/manor size homes:(

I have Stay-Moist Mansion and there is just no way to furnish it to my taste within the item limits. So i have resorted to furnishing it in pieces and then storing things in other homes while I wait for an item limit increase (Please ZoS!!!)
  • DefyGravity182
    Exactly!! It’s like why spend all that money on a house if it’s such a small cap limit? Can’t add any fun things into my house like vases with exotic plants in them and other stuff. So much I want to do
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enough is enough! This must end next DLC! We need more space. Period.

This is stupid how ZOS is limiting the amount of time we spend in the game by not allowing us to to decorate our homes... it is bad game design. Whoever was in charge of this stupid idea should be fired...
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on November 13, 2017 5:03PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • DefyGravity182
    Exactly! It only irritates players that love the game enough to BUY A HOUSE. I can’t even spend anymore money in the house crown store bc I have no place to put it!
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buy a bigger house or one of the mansions
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    Buy a bigger house or one of the mansions

Then its even worse, because 700 slots for a mansion is not enough.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the issue comes when you try to add small detail to ur home. One table with plates food lighting and chairs can take up 30-50 slots. It looks amazing and welcoming the details even shock people at the very careful placement.

Then when you start ur next room you have 10 slots left bc u used up way to much on a very detailed table. So u start to take away stuff for bigger less detailed stuff. Before you know it ur home went from detailed to all large luxury furniture items and achievements items and looks like everyone’s else’s home.

We really need a cap increase for make very small items not take up a whole slot maybe .25 slot or .5 of 1. Or even more simple increase the amount we can have by double.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos might be willing to raise the cap but will never eliminate the cap. That would be a horrid choice since some will choose to add unreadable load to the servers by junking up their homes.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Zos might be willing to raise the cap but will never eliminate the cap. That would be a horrid choice since some will choose to add unreadable load to the servers by junking up their homes.

But if housing is instanced, how does this affect the server?
  • DefyGravity182
    I just think it should be raised to a level that’s not unreasonable lol. I should easily be able to fully furnish each room to my liking without being anywhere near max capacity. It’s when you start adding a crazy amount of stuff outside or inside your house like in game hoarding. But purchased pets/mounts should be all allowed to be put in your courtyard if your large home has one. Like I said, all it does it irritate buyers, why would the developers purposely irritate the fans that are continuously buying mounts and pets? Doesn’t make any logical sense. Even ESO plus’s cap being doubled isn’t nearly enough capacity guarenteed.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been asking for this since Homestead launch. I don't think it would hurt to double the limit for each house.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Skeletalkk
    Skeletalkk
    ✭✭✭
    I have the telvanni tower and even with 700 it still feels empty! I'd like to make it look like the loading screen art but that's simply not possible
    - PC EU -
    I JUST WANT MORE DAMN HOUSE ITEM SLOTS.
    Kireth Telvanni - Dunmer - MagSorc

The Ending of Words is AlmSiVi.

Accept Mephala's Embrace.
  • DefyGravity182
    Yeah I just don’t get why they would limit what you can edit in an expensive purchased house. I can’t even buy housing items with crowns anymore since I can’t put them anywhere so they’re missing out as well!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, we are discussing this topic again. Lol.

When homestead came out, ZOS said they were unhappy with the caps, but needed them to test stability and performance. It might not be intuitive to those who have never worked on programming for something like a game or other rendered video, but creating a customized 3D environment with hundreds of independent objects is pretty resource intensive...and ESO is pretty dang impressive. Your decorated homes might look like the other Tamriel environments, but on the server end they sure as heck are not.

Anyway, increasing caps will probably happen after ZOS has sufficiently tested the initial homestead system and can spend the resources to upgrade it. It seems like their Q1 DLCs will be when might add a significant update to a system in the game...like,when they added justice, or when they rolled homestead the first time. If we don’t see something in the Q1 release, then maybe in Q2 with the next chapter. The chapters bring in a larger revenue stream, so I’d expect to see more intensive updates occur then.

For me, I have the island and I built a “pirate deck” up on the cliffs in the rear. But if you log off on the pirate deck, when you come back you load before the deck...so,usually you fall to your death, ha. So I have skeletons with chests and piles of loot down on the cliffs.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

Every instance still puts pressure on the whole server. Both in terms of performance and storage.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I just don’t get why they would limit what you can edit in an expensive purchased house. I can’t even buy housing items with crowns anymore since I can’t put them anywhere so they’re missing out as well!

Must have no experience in the related subjects I presume.
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they for saw people recreating the London Bridge with sweet rolls

• DefyGravity182

Must have no experience in the related subjects I presume.

I have a lot researched (besides alchemy - so boring) But it’s fun to buy random items like hag den mist and put it over the pond in my courtyard. There’s some items that I don’t think you can find and craft
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    caps are so 32 Bit / 1990ies

just use an unsigned long-integer to store that crap, bam 18.446.744.073.709.551.615 items :D

edit: yes, 64 bit long
    Edited by coplannb16_ESO on November 28, 2017 12:38PM
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Ah, we are discussing this topic again. Lol.

When homestead came out, ZOS said they were unhappy with the caps, but needed them to test stability and performance. It might not be intuitive to those who have never worked on programming for something like a game or other rendered video, but creating a customized 3D environment with hundreds of independent objects is pretty resource intensive...and ESO is pretty dang impressive. Your decorated homes might look like the other Tamriel environments, but on the server end they sure as heck are not.

Anyway, increasing caps will probably happen after ZOS has sufficiently tested the initial homestead system and can spend the resources to upgrade it. It seems like their Q1 DLCs will be when might add a significant update to a system in the game...like,when they added justice, or when they rolled homestead the first time. If we don’t see something in the Q1 release, then maybe in Q2 with the next chapter. The chapters bring in a larger revenue stream, so I’d expect to see more intensive updates occur then.

For me, I have the island and I built a “pirate deck” up on the cliffs in the rear. But if you log off on the pirate deck, when you come back you load before the deck...so,usually you fall to your death, ha. So I have skeletons with chests and piles of loot down on the cliffs.

If not Q1 then maybe Q2 or maybe with the next chapter... You realize that is probably 8-10 months away, you're okay with waiting another 8-10 months worst case (this is an assumption btw) for an update/improvement? I like many would buy more, play more, loot more, etc if my house wasn't full. The carrot has been removed as I have nothing to do with the item if I buy/find/loot it.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Elementary. It is on the servers along with many players houses and other aspects of the game. Each house does. It reside on its own personal physical server. Hence there will be an item cap damage e personal in game housing in any MMO with decent management.
  • DefyGravity182
    The fact that I picked up a factotum arm and it’s a housing item shows how ridiculous some peoples housing could look with hoarding. Not all of us will hoard I just want sweet rolls where I am them.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few questions as I have zero knowledge when it comes to programming.

Does the server know the difference in the size of an object or are all object basically the same length of code?

Wouldn't an instanced home take more resources than say a town because ten people each in their own home means 10 instants while ten people in one town share an instance?

Would it help to make the inside and outside of homes different instances (maybe they are already)?

I would be willing to have to stand around a bit longer for the objects in my house to appear if I could have more objects. Could they prioritize the outside world ahead of homes so homes load a little slower and would that put less impact on the servers?

Again zero knowledge so if you feel inclined to comment do so as if you were explaining something to your dog or cat.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have wanted to do things like filling up a wine rack with bottles (why these come "empty" in the first place is beyond me) and putting pretty vases with flowers in them scattered about. But every little bottle and cup and single apple eats up an item slot. As much as I want a 24 player house I will probably never buy one, in part because of the item limits.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone already answered about how we all share the same server. Instanced or not, you are still on the server. Other players just cannot see you.

The real issue isn't the instance, though. The real issue is what is in the instance, and that is where the problems arise. Most of us don't see it, but the stuff that ZOS designs is created with the intention to keep the visual complexity as low as possible. The more complex things are, the more resources are required to display that image on your screen. This is often the source of complaints about the appearance of the game, so it does not go unnoticed.

When people put a lot of stuff into a house, it increases the complexity of the scene that needs to be rendered. More furniture means more surfaces to display, more textures to load, more collisions to calculate. This can easily overwhelm some computers and consoles. They have to limit this, and it ends up being a balance between performance and capability.

They limit visitors because other characters are probably the worst of the offenders when it comes to complexity. We are all wearing different gear and it is probably dyed different colors. We have tattoos, different hair and hair colors, different makeup, and different body builds. They move. All of this has to be loaded and tracked for everyone in the instance. The movements and actions of these characters needs to be communicated to everyone else, even if they cannot see each other. Those that can be seen need to be shown and animated. Again, the balance between performance and capability.

When you add those two things together, you end up with a potential lag fest. ZOS sets limits to help prevent that.

Now, the good news is that they expressed an interest in increasing these limits beyond what they are today, but to do that, they would need to do some performance improvements first.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    and I am frustrated with seeing WALLS OF TEXT! Learn to use paragraphs, I didn't even bother reading past the first line.

As for what I could gather from the title: I agree to an extent. Don't remove the limits completely but they should at the very least double the current limits (ESO+ and non-ESO+) essentially giving non-ESO+ the current ESO+ limits now and then double from there for ESO+. No limits is just too much I think and the servers suck as it is so I don't know if that would potentially cause issues as well.