The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The 25-active-quests limit is woefully obsolete

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
When ESO first came out, the limit of 25 active quests was tolerable but annoying. Now it's much, much worse.

1. It used to be the case that you could have active, reasonably on-level quests in only a few zones or areas. One Tamriel drastically changed that. So did the introduction of various DLCs. It is literally true that one can reasonably have quests active in 10 times as many regions as one used to.

2. It used to be the case that only a few quest givers would follow you around yelling at you until you accepted their quests just to shut them up, namely the ones for the Fighters Guild (Comrade! The Guild has need of you!), the Mages Guild (***, Adept!) and, in the softer voice of the Prophet, the main quest. Now there are others for Wrothgar, Clockwork City, and pretty much all the other DLCs. If you go to Craglorn you are further chased around. There are a bunch of folks who want you to jump in a boat with 11 friends and do a raid. Etc. It's a major quality-of-life issue not to devote precious quest log slots to shutting up Shalidor and his counterparts.

3. There now are MANY repeatable daily quests one would like to have active until one gets around to doing them: Crafting writs, Mages/Fighters/Undaunted Guilds, Undaunted Pledges, Cyrodiil (that place can fill most of a quest log itself), DLC zone delve dailies, Clockwork City fetch-me-stuff dailies, and more.

The easiest fix is to double the active-quest limit, either as an ESO+ perk or for everybody. Quest log space would be tight even then -- tighter than it was when we first started playing -- but such a move would at least be a start. Alternatively, I'd like an option to put Shalidor and other NPCs on "Ignore", but that would be only a partial fix, would have various drawbacks, and probably would be a lot harder to implement than a simple quest log expansion.
Edited by FrancisCrawford on November 10, 2017 7:40PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I can see the argument that One Tamriel changed things, I still don't see any reason to have more than 25 quests active at a time. Just don't accept quests every time you pass by a quest-giver. My characters go all over Tamriel, and rarely if ever have more than 10 or so quests active. I know where the others are if and when I want them, dailies included, but it doesn't mean they all have to be active at the same time. That said, I don't object to increasing the limit as long as it doesn't impact on performance which it probably will as all the quest data will have to be loaded in every time you zone. Meanwhile, you don't have to put quest-givers on "ignore", just decline their quests until you're ready to take them.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about you, but if I don't accept quests when I come across them, I forget where they were and that's it...boom.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Don't know about you, but if I don't accept quests when I come across them, I forget where they were and that's it...boom.

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm exploring an area for questing then I pick them up, if I'm just running through an area to get a rare fish or skyshard then I ignore the quests and pick them up if and when I come back to quest. Either way, I'm not active in multiple zones at a time and so the present quest limit is more than enough.
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. This has been really hurting me since Clockwork dropped. Just the various dailies across Tamriel take up half the limit, to say nothing of the various Cyrodiil bounties/scouting missions/etc.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fix is simly deleting all the quests and ignoring questing on all my characters.

It works great.
    [DC/NA]
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't accept every quest marker you come across?

Clearly you don't have time to complete them, why start them?
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, if I'm not actively questing in that area, I ignore the quest givers...Unless they are the annoying type that follow you around. Then I'll accept the quest and take the 2mins to complete that step.

If I'm missing quests, I'll enable "show questgivers" in the Destinations addon to find the 1 or 2 questgivers that are out of the way.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, couldn't agree more. Hell, my Neverwinter character has over 100 active quests...

There is no reason for this arbitrary limit to quests, please lift this, especially now that there are so many dailies and dungeon quests, plus DLC's.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had 14 dailies the other night, just from crafting, CWC, and Vvardenfell. That's not much room for other things, like pledges and zone quests.

(As for why I don't ignore the quests: I play a lot around reset, and it's convenient to pick up quests on my way by & do them later, instead of dropping everything & taking the chance I'll miss other dailies. And tbh I prefer to do 12 crafting writs at once, every two days, than to do 6 writs each day.)

Good luck getting your 24 CWC quests without picking them up as you go, btw, especially on console. :/
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, why aren't you completing the quests? Need more room? Complete the quests! Don't pick up dailies if you're not going to do them. And yes, those quest givers will still be in an area if you come back later. Trust me, you'll find them.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    Yes, couldn't agree more. Hell, my Neverwinter character has over 100 active quests...

There is no reason for this arbitrary limit to quests, please lift this, especially now that there are so many dailies and dungeon quests, plus DLC's.

Just looking at your sig, I think I found the ???

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = Unlimited active quests..
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    While I can see the argument that One Tamriel changed things, I still don't see any reason to have more than 25 quests active at a time. Just don't accept quests every time you pass by a quest-giver. My characters go all over Tamriel, and rarely if ever have more than 10 or so quests active. I know where the others are if and when I want them, dailies included, but it doesn't mean they all have to be active at the same time. That said, I don't object to increasing the limit as long as it doesn't impact on performance which it probably will as all the quest data will have to be loaded in every time you zone. Meanwhile, you don't have to put quest-givers on "ignore", just decline their quests until you're ready to take them.

It's more about long term projects v. short term, and quality of gaming.

Between PvP and crafting writs, I only really have 12-14 quest slots for longer term quests. PvP quests can be long term affairs, the shortest usually being kill 20 of [insert class], and if you run writs daily, you need to keep a 6 slot overhead to avoid frustration.

The most irritating quest slot use is the delve side quest turn-ins. If you go out to run delves, you will fill up your quest allotment fairly fast. It's worse if you are a newer player and don't have all wayshrines in a zone. Eventually your quest log fills up and either you have to delete one of them (which means running that delve again...) or go finish some of them right then.

Besides upping the limit, I would love a button for clearing out all undaunted quests. There is almost always one I don't end up doing and the ones add up over time. I mostly PvP and haven't memorized quests to zone mapping, which means I have to hunt and peck through every zone when my quest log fills up.
  • Ardan147
    Ardan147
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's really annoying is when NPCs constantly harass you until you take their quests. Even worse are the ones who will FOLLOW YOU AROUND until you accept the quest or go far enough away.

And with only 25 quest slots I don't have any slots to waste on a quest I don't plan on actually completing any time soon. And if I take the quest and then just abandon it they'll just be waiting there the next time I cross their path.

(Probably the one I find most annoying and irritating is "Speak to me before entering Mournhold, citizen," which I get all the time as I use Mounhold for all my crafting writs.)
    Edited by Ardan147 on November 11, 2017 12:52AM
    This creature called a songbird. What a devious creation! This winged nuisance erodes sanity with its incessant chirping. What a brilliant form of torture!
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The quest markers can barely handle on quest on Xbox can you imagine what would happen if someone had 50 to 100 quests?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, for over 2 years of playing, and even during the times where I gather up all the quests in an area instead of just doing one at a time, I've still NEVER filled my Quest Log once.

So I can't exactly sympathize with you guys.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can’t believe the self righteous f***s that are actually against this...
    How can it possibly hurt YOU if other people can have more quests at once?

You know who you are and you make me sick.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be nice; I'm constantly deleting quests from my log because I don't have enough room.

Pretty sure it's just a play style issue; I tend to pick up as many as possible and turn them all in at once after gradually running through areas and slowly completing the requirements. The Cyrodiil ones are the worst for this; I still haven't completed all the pve fetches from there, and the "kill X players" ones are sometimes hard to get in one sitting if there's no zerg nearby.

And that's just on my main character. On the others, I just don't bother; I never feel like fully diving in and redoing all the things I've already done, so when I run out of steam and go do something else... Delete, delete, delete.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    waitwhat wrote: »
    Agreed. This has been really hurting me since Clockwork dropped. Just the various dailies across Tamriel take up half the limit, to say nothing of the various Cyrodiil bounties/scouting missions/etc.
    This, one problem is also all the group based quests like the world boss daily, craglorn,, pledges and the pvp ones.
    You don't want to drop all of them, especially the pvp one is nice to keep, next time you pvp the keep you have quest for is next at line for siege.

Perhaps having an special list for daily quests?
    You should not pick up all quests in all zones then going to them for various reasons. On the other hand its an issue not being able to pick up all quests in the active questing zone
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ardan147 wrote: »
    What's really annoying is when NPCs constantly harass you until you take their quests. Even worse are the ones who will FOLLOW YOU AROUND until you accept the quest or go far enough away.

And with only 25 quest slots I don't have any slots to waste on a quest I don't plan on actually completing any time soon. And if I take the quest and then just abandon it they'll just be waiting there the next time I cross their path.

(Probably the one I find most annoying and irritating is "Speak to me before entering Mournhold, citizen," which I get all the time as I use Mounhold for all my crafting writs.)

You can't imagine my disappointment when they were excluded from the justice system.

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Get Destinations addon, and enable in settings, the section dealing with quests, quest givers to your needs. :)

Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The limit is annoying and does not bring anything to the table.

Change it to 50, remove it or do not include repeatable quests in the count
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe also exclude dlc start quest from the count and of course dailies
    Edited by Morgul667 on November 11, 2017 4:25AM
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »

Get Destinations addon, and enable in settings, the section dealing with quests, quest givers to your needs. :)

1) Destinations isn't updated to CWC.

2) That doesn't help console folks.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I could have one thing be changed in the game, in exchange for no other changes for the rest of the quarter, it'd definitely be this...I'm always fighting against the quest log cap, and here are a couple reasons that a player does pick up quests that are for completion at a later time -

1) The way I generally play is to work a group of high XP quests in a zone, plus maybe the next MQ which is always very high, I believe. Then when I have a bunch that are ready to turn in, I chug an ambrosia & go through the list of quests, just moving from one turn-in location to the next. This way, I can maximize my use of the ambrosia, because it's a short 30 minutes, unless you get into the crown pots & scrolls. This is my alternative to grinding a respawn spot for leveling. Although it's not an issue with the quest log cap, I also do something similar with Master Writs, but for that, I gather a bunch of them, craft all the materials, and then i go to the master vendor, chug ambrosia & go through the writs, accepting & turning in, in short order. Side benefit to this is that I get more vouchers, for buying more diminished dust, in order to make more of the middle level ambrosia.

2) Another thing is the increasing number of daily quests, with the new content being added recently, like MW & CwC. There may be exceptions, I dunno, but most of them generally reset the same time every 24 hours. And if you don't have enough time to do your dailies of choice today, you can at least pick them up before the reset, and then you can do today's dailies tomorrow, and still be able to pick up tomorrow's dailies tomorrow, and do it then, because you had more time. I do this a little bit with other dailies, but I try to do it regularly with the crafting dailies, as they're so easy to go through, and give a pretty good piece of both gold & XP for the small amount of work.

So, it's a matter of play style. The quest log cap may not affect all players, but based on the various posts here, it affects quite a few of us. It doesn't have to be raised to some ridiculous number, but at least give some breathing room, say raising the cap to 40 or 50.

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ardan147 wrote: »

You can't imagine my disappointment when they were excluded from the justice system.

...for me it's Stuga...

"Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

How many others catch themselves talking back at the NCP's in the game like Stuga? I can't help myself..."It's gonna be a lot longer if you don't shut up", or "You found me, I wondered where you've been", or "Go away, Stuga, ya bother me"...and other goofy stuff like that...yes, I actually, and intentionally speak out loud at her...

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, why aren't you completing the quests? Need more room? Complete the quests! Don't pick up dailies if you're not going to do them. And yes, those quest givers will still be in an area if you come back later. Trust me, you'll find them.
    • If I can do two or more quests at the same time in the place, I'd rather do that than finish one, turn it in to get quest log space, and then run back to the same locations to do another one.
    • Sometimes I don't know whether I'll be able to finish a daily quickly, because some dailies depend on other players (I might need them to show up for a world boss, or I might need them to NOT ninja certain nodes from me).
    • I don't know whether my playing will be interrupted by, for example, family concerns.
    • If I do a delve and pick up a small quest there, I may not want to quickly turn it in. I might prefer to do something else in-game.
    • Maybe somebody queues for a dungeon, and gets their landscape play interrupted.

Etc.
  • poochie
    poochie
    ✭✭✭
    Most of mine are from craglorn which I'll never get around to doing because they are meant to be done as a group and I don't really like grouping up. I just abandoned them. I never go back there unless I get some crafting map or treasure map.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actual quest log from my top endgame DPSer:
    • 3 pledges
    • 2 quests from public dungeons where I didn't quite finish the objectives and am waiting until I'm sent back to that dungeon for a Mage's Guild daily.
    • 3 crafting writs
    • 1 Main quest
    • 6 guild quests (Mages, Mages daily, Fighters, Fighters daily, Undaunted daily, Dark Brotherhood)
    • 8 Clockwork City (daily or otherwise)

That's 23/25. Examples of what's not on the list include:
    • Dailies from any other region.
    • Any other quest from any other region.
    • Dailies from the other 3 crafts.
    • The 1 Clockwork City daily I've done so far today.
    • Anything in Cyrodiil.
    • Thieves Guild (Quen is quiet enough to be safely ignored).
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Because you don't see a point that means no one else should see one..way to be selfish and self centered like the world revolves around your view point.

• monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree..25 is way to little..50 or 75 would be best if not unlimited..why limit it at all?