Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Calculating physical penetration on consoles

NewFordOrder
NewFordOrder
✭✭✭
Is there a quick way to calculate physical penetration on consoles? And what is a good amount to have for a stamdps without being overkill?
Edited by NewFordOrder on November 10, 2017 6:18PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could use the ESO Build Editor http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?filter=mine and enter your build data there. (On PC there's a way to export your actual build automatically, but on console you have to do it manually.) It will calculate all relevant game parameters and you can experiment with your build.

A "good amount" depends on what you do, i.e. if you run solo, mostly in random groups, or in a well-coordinated group. Generally, for optimal results you want to reach 18.2k penetration, with buffs and debuffs from all sources.

Most important, you want Major Fracture on the target, which reduces its resistance by 5.2k. Usually the tank does that with their taunt. DDs except for sorcs can apply it themselves too. So if you go for the bare minimum, you'd want around 12.5k penetration.

In a good group you get more debuffs. The tank uses (infused) Crusher enchant, possibly with Torug's Pact, adding 2-2.7k debuff. A templar can use Power of the Light, another 1.5k. Then there's Alkosh from the tank, Night Mother's Gaze/Sunderflame (medium armor sets that stam DDs can agree on using).

Add all those debuffs together, and what remains is the penetration you need. :)
    Edited by Loc2262 on November 11, 2017 2:37AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • SoulAffliction
    SoulAffliction
    ✭✭✭
    What about for MagBlade? Just out of curiosity for consoles?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about for MagBlade? Just out of curiosity for consoles?

Idk about pve, but pvp I shoot for 11-16k pen. The light armor concentration passive + 51 points in spell erosion gives the minimum of that spectrum, so does mark+erosion or mark+light armor
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SoulAffliction : My post refers to magicka classes too. :) Just replace "major fracture" with "major breach", also applied by the tank with their taunt, or through the healer's ele drain. Magicka classes have it a bit easier since they have a passive in light armor that gives 5k penetration. The numbers to reach are the same.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • SoulAffliction
    SoulAffliction
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks guys
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    does anyone know what I should be aiming for as a mag DK running a fire mage type of build? also what's a good number to aim my resistances at? this is something I have been trying out the last few days but wanna make sure I am not over or under doing it
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • NewFordOrder
    NewFordOrder
    ✭✭✭
    On my stam DK, I have 9k penetration, which I've found is more than adequate as long as I'm in a decent group. The most you would really need if you're talking about groups with buffs is 11 or 12k. With optimized trial groups you can get away with basically none and just stacking damage. If you plan to solo content, you want as much as possible, but not exceeding 18.2.

Oh, and I don't pay much attention to resistance, but I'm a dps. I shoot for exactly 20k health, though.
    Edited by NewFordOrder on April 4, 2018 12:34AM
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    but isn't it true if resistance is too low it won't really matter how high your HP is because even the weakest hit from a random overworkd pve npc will take half if not more than your health or do I have it mistaken?
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    ok so if I have anywhere between 6-8 pieces of light armor and then put 40-50 cp into spell erosion put my dk at minimum requirement for penetration?
    *Also is there any way besides doing the math to know whether or not my pen is ok?
    **MBF**
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok so if I have anywhere between 6-8 pieces of light armor and then put 40-50 cp into spell erosion put my dk at minimum requirement for penetration?
    *Also is there any way besides doing the math to know whether or not my pen is ok?
    Wasn't penetration nerfed recently, making it a subpar attribute drain?

Most builds I've seen of late have been pushing more damage (LA/HA/Crit), and have walked away from penetration buffs.

I took this to mean with the recent CP changes and the cap, the points spent is now worthless, instead going to damage.

This makes sense, actually. If the damage once delivered through penetration buffs is now negated for damage buffs, it makes sense to put the points where it does the most good.

• NewFordOrder
    NewFordOrder
    ✭✭✭
    I've run multiple tests, and the best source of penetration for me was to use the lover mundus stone with all legendary divines with kragh and sharpened weapons. I put very few points into piercing. This approach seemed to be the most effective. Unless, of course, you're in an optimized group, then warrior mundus would be your best bet. But all other situations, solo/pug, lover outperforms.
  • NewFordOrder
    NewFordOrder
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Wasn't penetration nerfed recently, making it a subpar attribute drain?

Most builds I've seen of late have been pushing more damage (LA/HA/Crit), and have walked away from penetration buffs.

I took this to mean with the recent CP changes and the cap, the points spent is now worthless, instead going to damage.

This makes sense, actually. If the damage once delivered through penetration buffs is now negated for damage buffs, it makes sense to put the points where it does the most good.

There is truth to that. If I put 65 into piercing, which would get me to pen cap, I don't do as much damage as when I only put in 38 and spread the rest among other categories like thaum and master at arms.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're just made of plastic, right? I can't imagine the armor class being very good.

I certainly wouldn't try hitting one with a hammer.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS