The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do Daedric Princes have real free will?

LittlePinkDot
LittlePinkDot
✭✭✭✭✭
Like the title says. It seems like they cannot go against their sphere. Molag Bal cant help but be dominating.
Sanguine cant say no to Debauchery. Mehrunes cant help but want to destroy everything ect.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gather they can, because Peryite got into trouble for trying to go outside his sphere. I gather it's something like the border of a nation; they'll defend that space, and if they go outside it they risk running into someone else's space and getting attacked for it, but there's nothing stopping them as such.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They do indeed have free will. As for why they don't leave their own sphere and venture into the sphere of another Daedric Prince, probably out of respect or fear.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well who says it needs to be another princes sphere?
    We've heard of Aedra becoming Daedra, Trinimac to Malacath. And then theres Meridia.
    If Aedra can fall then couldnt a Daedric Prince Ascend if they really really wanted to. Why not join Aetherius.
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "*** *** ***," Molag Bal roared, smiling, though none of it with joy. His aspect became so fierce that even the dirtbird maiden stopped pecking at his head, and she flew behind the bulk of the snow whale in sudden fright. The Prince of Coldharbour spoke: "You silly little snow whale, do you not know that there can be no joy for me? That long ago I gave up such things to the betterment of my rage? And while I recognize love between creatures that are unalike, I have built a bulwark against its joy and--"
    Seems Princes give up certain aspects of free will to maintain their Sphere.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "*** *** ***," Molag Bal roared, smiling, though none of it with joy. His aspect became so fierce that even the dirtbird maiden stopped pecking at his head, and she flew behind the bulk of the snow whale in sudden fright. The Prince of Coldharbour spoke: "You silly little snow whale, do you not know that there can be no joy for me? That long ago I gave up such things to the betterment of my rage? And while I recognize love between creatures that are unalike, I have built a bulwark against its joy and--"
    Seems Princes give up certain aspects of free will to maintain their Sphere.

Where did you get that quote? And why would Molag Bal give up Joy? Sounds like those Emo people that seem to just want to be miserable.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are no mortals and they don't understand many things and care about them like us. They have different nature and they follow it. It's like with Alduin, he doesn't want to eat whole world and end the time, because he is cruel ***. It's his destiny to eat whole Aurbis, just like it's destiny for Akatosh to be a body of time and Auri-El to be it's start. I think that daedric "free will" is equal with wolf eating deer, but hunger is replaced here with their aspects and domains. In my opinion they are too different from mortals to threat them like us. They don't really know feelings like love or fear, they just do what their nature told them to do.
    PC/EU
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're immortal than there is nothing to fear. But im sure they know love. When Vivec told Bal that he loved him, Bal asked him to prove it.

But on another note. I dont think there is a point to creation. It was a mistake. Life is just suffering with brief moments of entertainment. I see it the way the Altmer see it.
    I think Alduins destroying the world is a mercy, not a curse. The question for me would be how to prevent another kalpa from starting after the destruction.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're immortal than there is nothing to fear. But im sure they know love. When Vivec told Bal that he loved him, Bal asked him to prove it.

But on another note. I dont think there is a point to creation. It was a mistake. Life is just suffering with brief moments of entertainment. I see it the way the Altmer see it.
    I think Alduins destroying the world is a mercy, not a curse. The question for me would be how to prevent another kalpa from starting after the destruction.

You sound like Thalmor Justicar from 4th era. Fus ro dah to you, fanatic. :o
    PC/EU
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get that quote? And why would Molag Bal give up Joy? Sounds like those Emo people that seem to just want to be miserable.
    It's from The Seven Fights of The Aldudagga
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/seven-fights-aldudagga
    As this story imply he gave it up to fuel his ascendance to godhood, reach heaven by violence to become Lord of Brutality and King of *** as he will never satisfied with his deeds and will continue spread violence as it fuel his Sphere, so he cannot achieve joy from torturing of one person, he need more.
    For example as we know now his servants required to reach certain quota of torture.

• Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    They do indeed have free will. As for why they don't leave their own sphere and venture into the sphere of another Daedric Prince, probably out of respect or fear.

IMO they also may not want to most of the time. I could jump off a bridge tomorrow, 99% chance I wont, not in my nature. I could paint my toenails pink tomorrow, 99% chance I wont, not in my nature.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that one can "reach god through violence" proves my point that creation is pointless. In the ESO universe god is half evil, the existence of the Daedra lords proves this. Kirkbride had said he is Gnostic, so this tells me he would agree with me. I wouldnt say Im like the Thalmor because they believe they are superior to other races. I just think its all folly and pointless suffering, it makes no difference what ones race is. Rather than just try to take everything over they should've just stopped having children, thats an easier more peaceful way to end it. I for one wont be wasting my time ever having kids either lol.
    As for the C0DA, thats the only time the gods had ever really done anything themselves to fight. If you consider it canon.
    I think Lorkan was just an idiot with a really dumb idea to create a play thing for the princes amusement.
    I see no point in being a hero, if the Divines care so damn much than they can fix Nirn's problems themselves. In fact I dont even blame Molag Bal or the other Daedra for the evils they commit, it was Lorkans fault for creating the prison in the first place, and then the Divines fault for continuing it after they found out what was going on.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that one can "reach god through violence" proves my point that creation is pointless. In the ESO universe god is half evil, the existence of the Daedra lords proves this. Kirkbride had said he is Gnostic, so this tells me he would agree with me. I wouldnt say Im like the Thalmor because they believe they are superior to other races. I just think its all folly and pointless suffering, it makes no difference what ones race is. Rather than just try to take everything over they should've just stopped having children, thats an easier more peaceful way to end it. I for one wont be wasting my time ever having kids either lol.
    As for the C0DA, thats the only time the gods had ever really done anything themselves to fight. If you consider it canon.
    I think Lorkan was just an idiot with a really dumb idea to create a play thing for the princes amusement.
    I see no point in being a hero, if the Divines care so damn much than they can fix Nirn's problems themselves. In fact I dont even blame Molag Bal or the other Daedra for the evils they commit, it was Lorkans fault for creating the prison in the first place, and then the Divines fault for continuing it after they found out what was going on.

C0DA is fanfiction and there's no point in believing otherwise. Altmers don't just think that they are better race, they think that they would be gods If Lorkhan didn't trick aedra. For some life is pointless, but for others with families and purpose in life, it's something worth creating. Kirkbride's words are worth nothing to me. :p
    PC/EU
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like the title says. It seems like they cannot go against their sphere. Molag Bal cant help but be dominating.
    Sanguine cant say no to Debauchery. Mehrunes cant help but want to destroy everything ect.

Except its their actions and behaviors that have shaped their sphere. Not the other way around. Youre not the god of schemes before you scheme.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    No. It is a game.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We removed some comments that were off-topic. Please keep the discussion focused on in game lore and avoid discussion real world religious views.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post