The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to be viable for PVP in this game?

Rulerkelso
Hello lads,
as title hints, my question is how to be able to kill something in PVP enviroment - Cyrodiil.
Im new to this game and started PVP just few days ago.
Whatever im trying i cannot do anything to enemy players. Seriously, i can two-shot any non-elite npc, but cannot even scratch players.... and im dead as soon as somebody look at me.
Few days ago i was dueling with a long-term PVP player and could-not scratch him even after he pulled off his equip, he only maintainded by his aura. Of course killed me in an eyewink after he spammed one ability few times. So it is not a low equip issue.

Im usualy going well in PVP at other games and never had any problems to get into competitive PVP, but in this game im utterly confused what Im doing wrong. I watched several "pro" videos and tried its builds (except those recommended sets which I does not have them yet). but none worked for me.
My character: Nightblade, bow+two hand/dual wield, 210 CP, attributes: 64stam, campaign VIVEC (champ) - can provide some more info if somebody will be serious to help me or give some advices :)

Maybe mine problem is that I does not have all champ. points available? Or is there something else required to be PVP viable?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my crude english :)
  • Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lack of experience and champ points. You can watch all the videos and theorycraft you want, but if you only barely know one build for one class, you are going to struggle mechanically. And higher cp give a huge advantage with the defensive capability alone.
    Edited by Motherball on November 7, 2017 5:12PM
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a broad question that deserves a broad answer. you bring up multiple deficiencies and to address them all would take some dedication.

I can say from the survival aspect start with the following:

a good amount of points in "Resistant" (red cp tree) and at least 5 pieces of impenetrable traited gear.

dmg is straight forward: build for dmg. Stam characters cant go wrong with Hundings as their base set (meaning the 5 pc) and magicka cant go wrong with Julianos or Kagrenac's (i think. screw magicka)
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take a look at different builds, see what you are doing versus what other people have found to be tried and true in PvP. That and just keep at it. I've only been doing PvP for a few months, and while I still die all over the place, I die a lot less frequently and get in way more kills than I did in the very beginning. And, until you get the hang of things, try to stay with the groups, don't wander around alone.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Practice fighting people. Don't just zerg surf/run in a blob. Try to learn to self sustain and do damage on your own in small skirmishes. Helps you become a better player with lots of practice. Try different builds out that suit your play style. Gold weapons.
    Edited by Mazbt on November 7, 2017 5:50PM
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rulerkelso
    PVP is very different from PVE, so your abilitiy to two-shot non-elite NPCs is not saying anything in the world of PVP. One of the biggest differences in PVP-land is battlespirit, ofc (your damage is lower while your health is higher, shields are weaker etc etc). Experienced PVPers also invest more into health and resistance than they would in PVE-land, so you will meet tougher enemies who also have brains to counter your attacks.

Ofc you would be stronger with 690 cps than you are with 210, but its not the whole explanation for your problem. Its difficult to help you along without an in-depth-description of your build, but some general remarks.

- Stamblades are not very tough in PVP. Their best strategy is to attack single targets and vanish rapidly if the initial attack fails.

- 64 points in stam make you very squishy. I would guess that your health is somewhere between 18-22k and your magicka is around 10k (depending on your armor and your food/drink). Considering that most PVPers run around with 25k+ (except for sorcs who use shields), this puts you at a distinct disadvantage. Two hard hits and finishers like mages wrath already proc on you.

- 0 points in magicka also means that the standard NB defenses do not help you along very far. One cloak will eat up a third of your magicka. Same about mass hysteria. Shadow image is a bit less expensive, but not by much. So essentially, whenever you need to go defensive, your best option is to elude, dodge roll and block. Which will avoid some damage, but not get you away.

- In general, the most important advice in PVP-land for all players is "don't overextend". Do not solo-attack targets in the middle of a group. If you are not a tank, do not run ahead of a zerg (because all enemies will focus on you). Look around you - when everybody pulls back, you need to pull back too. Do not try to finish a kill at all costs. Dying and respawning is less fun than continuing a fight.

- If you want to stick to your current setup, your best option is to gank and run off when the initial gank fails (most ganks fail, btw, unless you are a ganking pro). If you want to join big fights (=zergs), you need to either go for more health or heavy armor or both.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to use stealth and attack single enemies. That's the game play suited to stamina NB. 2H/Bow setup is good so stick to that. Ideally all your armor should be impenetrable. You should have a sustain set that gives you stamina recovery (ideally over 1.5K) and one that gives you damage. Good sustain sets are Eternal Hunt (crafted) and Bone Pirate's Tatters (dropped), good damage ones are Hunding's Rage (crafted), Spriggan's Thorns and Viper's Sting (dropped). Note that you cannot combo two full 5p crafted sets. You can also use 2p monster sets on top of those like Selene or Velidreth. Check those out.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing damage to players in PVP is all about burst. The enemy players can heal/dodge/run away and react to you in ways that NPC AI can't, so the best way to do damage is to burst them down. Trying to deal the death of a thousand cuts is only effective in a larger group. Abilities that stun, CC, or fear can be really helpful because those force other players to react and break free instead of doing damage to you.

Now, doing damage and staying alive are two different things. While you are trying to focus on staying alive, I DO recommend running with a group or the proverbial zerg. Why? Because running with a large group is much more forgiving when you make mistakes, and making mistakes is an important part of learning. As long as you are paying attention, you'll learn valuable things about which skills work well in Cyrodiil, the ebb and flow of a open field battle or a siege, where you can find regular fights, and you'll get the AP you need for important skills like Vigor and Caltrops. There's plenty of learning and growth that can happen while running with a large group and what you learn there will help once you decide to start exploring small group or solo play, where making mistakes usually means instant death and a long ride.

Gear - Impenetrable trait gear will help with not getting insta-killed from crits. I'd also give yourself a decent amount of health even as a DPS.
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    @Rulerkelso
    1. Read this for introduction: https://darkelves.com.
    2. Read this for group info: https://goo.gl/QTptCx.
    3. Find a good guild that will help you learn.
    4. Find a few good players who will help teach you how to play smaller groups and not depend on a zerg.
    Edited by Crewt on November 7, 2017 6:39PM
    I am Crewt
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just get seventh legion and run through normal asylum till you get the 2 hander. That should fix all your problems.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its defenitely not your CP, i switched from ps4 EU (800cp) to PC EU, because of performance etc and my PhD (needed faster PC).

I kick [snip] with 180cp right now

[Edited to remove profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on November 9, 2017 5:05PM
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can be experienced but in ESO there is definitely a gap (probably large) between being experienced and being "competitive". You need the gear and if you are playing in a CP enabled environment you need your champ points total to be rather close or at the cap. It's really about having the right passives (CP is also considered passives) and how they complement your gear and skills rotation. Thats pretty much all it is on a very macro level.

You can take a "pro" ESO player, give him a not so optimized build and he/she won't look so pro in action I can guarantee you that. Players min/max and players find out what gear and skill is over performing and quite frankly use it more often than not. The nature of the beast.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you can also take a max CP non-pro player, give them an OP optimized build, and they will proceed to make that build look like trash even if they have some experience with PVP and how to use the build. I know, I've been that player. Experience with your build and the tactics it requires is the crucial factor.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And you can also take a max CP non-pro player, give them an OP optimized build, and they will proceed to make that build look like trash even if they have some experience with PVP and how to use the build. I know, I've been that player. Experience with your build and the tactics it requires is the crucial factor.

Yeah you need experience with a build. But like I said, in ESO without the gear, min/maxing, CP, etc. the most pro of pro players will run out of resources or be squishy and not look so pro. In ESO there is always the eehhhh gear, and the 1% must have gear that the "pros" go farm somewhere. Evidence of this is probably ZOS changing maelstrom weapons recently. They are probably still worth it to farm, but the "must have" and overlooking every other option out there is lessened.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a weird one for you - try recording some of your fights, then watch and evaluate, adjust...

also, look over your death recaps to see what exactly is hitting you the hardest...

be patient, it's going to take a while to settle in some good gear/build choices for whatever complements your particular combat style...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    geonsocal wrote: »
    look over your death recaps to see what exactly is hitting you the hardest...

4 people spamming crit rush, dizzying swing, dawnbreaker, and executioner. The story of my death...
    I am Crewt
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crewt wrote: »

4 people spamming crit rush, dizzying swing, dawnbreaker, and executioner. The story of my death...

hmmmmmm, come to think of it - i mostly use the death recaps to see what offensive skills I may want to slot for myself...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    There's a tough line between playing the build that you know will win because.. it's stupid and easy, and playing one that is more fun and enjoyable though you probably won't win fight vs the people who pick the former.
    I am Crewt
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rulerkelso
    PVP is very different from PVE, so your abilitiy to two-shot non-elite NPCs is not saying anything in the world of PVP. One of the biggest differences in PVP-land is battlespirit, ofc (your damage is lower while your health is higher, shields are weaker etc etc). Experienced PVPers also invest more into health and resistance than they would in PVE-land, so you will meet tougher enemies who also have brains to counter your attacks.

Ofc you would be stronger with 690 cps than you are with 210, but its not the whole explanation for your problem. Its difficult to help you along without an in-depth-description of your build, but some general remarks.

- Stamblades are not very tough in PVP. Their best strategy is to attack single targets and vanish rapidly if the initial attack fails.

- 64 points in stam make you very squishy. I would guess that your health is somewhere between 18-22k and your magicka is around 10k (depending on your armor and your food/drink). Considering that most PVPers run around with 25k+ (except for sorcs who use shields), this puts you at a distinct disadvantage. Two hard hits and finishers like mages wrath already proc on you.

- 0 points in magicka also means that the standard NB defenses do not help you along very far. One cloak will eat up a third of your magicka. Same about mass hysteria. Shadow image is a bit less expensive, but not by much. So essentially, whenever you need to go defensive, your best option is to elude, dodge roll and block. Which will avoid some damage, but not get you away.

- In general, the most important advice in PVP-land for all players is "don't overextend". Do not solo-attack targets in the middle of a group. If you are not a tank, do not run ahead of a zerg (because all enemies will focus on you). Look around you - when everybody pulls back, you need to pull back too. Do not try to finish a kill at all costs. Dying and respawning is less fun than continuing a fight.

- If you want to stick to your current setup, your best option is to gank and run off when the initial gank fails (most ganks fail, btw, unless you are a ganking pro). If you want to join big fights (=zergs), you need to either go for more health or heavy armor or both.

Fail??? I can tell you my success rate is about 85-90% i usually pick my targets well :-)
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crewt wrote: »

Mass hysteria -> dodge roll->shadowy disguise->change course 90° left/right pop invisibility potion-->get the he'll outta there
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvP has a steep learning curve. Like in most pursuits, the most valuable asset is knowledge. To succeed, you’re gonna have to develop a grasp on a few concepts. These include the function of various stats, how to build characters to achieve desired results, the nature and function of the various classes and skills (and how they interact with each other), resource management, etc. Don’t feel compelled to master it all over night...it takes time.

But even with all these concepts under your belt, ultimately performance comes down to execution. To that end, the only way to develop as a player is through practice. And the single best way to improve as a player is through dueling. 1v1 fights will help you master your own class, as well as give insight as to how it meshes with other classes in a controlled environment. The space next to the undaunted camp in Wayrest is a popular dueling location.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • A_G_G_R_O
    A_G_G_R_O
    ✭✭✭✭
    Begin solo and small scale play early on. You won’t get better in large groups as you will develop to become a max cp salty AP fodder zergling later on . I advise starting in Sotha, learning to sustain in non cp first makes you a monster in training wheel cp land later.
    Edited by A_G_G_R_O on November 10, 2017 11:32PM