The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Question: Dunmer family name

Lyserus
Lyserus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Do they put family name at the front or given name at the front?

I've seen "Indoril Nevevar" and "Voryn Dagoth" with makes two combinations seems correct, but then most other house members use "Given+Family" combination in ES games, and then Dagoth change his name to "Dagoth Ur" later.

Is "Family+Given" a combination specifically to proclaimed kings/gods? or the lore is messed?

I saw some explanation online but each has exceptions, the common one being "House name+Given name+Clan name" but like I said it has exceptions, a lot actually.
I just hope my character "Aspera Dagoth" didn't get her name wrong ;)
Edited by Lyserus on October 31, 2017 8:33PM
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an “Ashra Dagoth,” so we’re in the same boat. I’ll be pissed if I got that wrong.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indoril Nerevar was a chimer, so his name should not follow later dunmer tradition. I suppose Indoril was his given name (like most aldmeri. Altmer and bosmer do not have family names usually) and Nerevar was title or something.

Voryn Dagoth is clear. Given Name and Family (House) name. Dagoth Ur is something like "Dagoth the First". We know more "Dagoths" in Morrowind game.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerevar is the given name, Indoril is his house, being of house Indoril. Hortator was the title.

Dunmer surnames are interesting, since members of a great house do not all have the names of that house. We see a mixture of surname first, name last and name first, surname last in Oblivion and Skyrim. For example, Adril Arano is of the Arano family, of house Redoran.
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "evidence" we have suggests that modern dunmer place their family names at the end but that in the past this was reversed.
  • CheepsNSalsa
    CheepsNSalsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as how dunmer is the master race (I think we all agree) they can do whatever they want with their naming system.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... good points. I use the default of [Given name] [Family Name] [House Name], and sometimes not all of them fit in the character screen, so I usually go with the first two.

I also have character's that have "middle" names (something between the given and family), not even sure why the folks I game with started doing that, but what the hey.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ruusa
    Ruusa
    ✭✭✭
    Its (House name)(Given name)(Surname). Order is always this, but most dunmer dont use or have all the names. Nerevar's entire name was Indoril Nerevar Mora, where Indoril was his house and Mora his surname.

Most dunmer dont use the house name though, might be that only important house leaders use house name + given name? Not sure.

Some people have same house name and surname, so we have people called (Indoril) Tanval Indoril and so on, but not sure if there is a rule why he's called Tanval Indoril and not Indoril Tanval.

Aspera Dagoth is correct and a nice name in any case

EDIT: you can also say (Given name)+(Surname)+of house+(house name). So my tank is (Redoran) Varona Uveth or Varona Uveth of house Redoran.
    Edited by Ruusa on November 1, 2017 7:21AM
    PC EU
    Erweka - altmer magicka sorc DD
    Varona Uveth - dunmer DK tank

Redfur Trading & Redfur Exchange
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Albrecht Hujpaltronpt